Slash tone?

• Thread starter Alt Freak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

^AXE^

Reaction score
:rofl:

slashhat.jpg

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
How am I a nirvana fanboy? My sig? Really?

Well all I'm getting at is...you would have had an idol when you started guitar-maybe Page, Blackmore, Hendrix?

Like it of not, Slash is a modern day guitarist that is inspiring a new generation of guitarists.

How would you have liked it if you had people making you feel bad because you used Page or EVH as a model.
Every guitarist starts with a guitar idol, and Slash is it for a large number of people.

I can understand people getting sick of fanboys playing Nightrain all over YouTube, but thats not Slashs' fault.
I'll take EVH's tone before Slashs' any day, but I still appreciate Slashs' writing ability.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Well all I'm getting at is...you would have had an idol when you started guitar-maybe Page, Blackmore, Hendrix?

Like it of not, Slash is a modern day guitarist that is inspiring a new generation of guitarists.

How would you have liked it if you had people making you feel bad because you used Page or EVH as a model.
Every guitarist starts with a guitar idol, and Slash is it for a large number of people.

I can understand people getting sick of fanboys playing Nightrain all over YouTube, but thats not Slashs' fault.
I'll take EVH's tone before Slashs' any day, but I still appreciate Slashs' writing ability.
I've seen people here say they think Hendrix is overrated and that they don't like him and no one made a big deal about it, yet I don't like Slash and you guys fucking attack me. I really could care less if he's an idol. I know he is. He's also a commercial icon used for fueling in money for companies making some product. I personally just don't like him.

Mike_j

Reaction score
b/c he is the archetype rock star. he looks cool, and he's got a couple licks.

look up dick wagner. he is the original slash, and some of his session studio work, (aerosmith in particular), is the original slash lead tone in my opinion. top hat and all.

He was one of the players on the live Lou Reed albums. Fucking sensational playing. Rock N Roll Animal - one of my favourite albums even though Lou Reed is on it.

Mike_j

Reaction score
Personally I think Slash is a wanker and his band was shit too. I wouldn't rate him as a modern player cause his tone is so derivative. Overrated doesn't even begin to describe him.

nightrain

Reaction score
Personally I think Slash is a wanker and his band was shit too. I wouldn't rate him as a modern player cause his tone is so derivative. Overrated doesn't even begin to describe him.

That's your opinion. His "band" dominated the entire world while they were together and sold 200 million albums. You opinion doesn't mean shit.

tumblr_lcglcrOhL91qcgyf4o1_500.jpg

Alt Freak

Reaction score
That's your opinion. His "band" dominated the entire world while they were together and sold 200 million albums. You opinion doesn't mean shit.

tumblr_lcglcrOhL91qcgyf4o1_500.jpg
You know what is now dominating the world and selling millions of albums? Lady gaga and other shit. So who fucking cares about what they did in terms of success. That doesn't make them better

nightrain

Reaction score
You know what is now dominating the world and selling millions of albums? Lady gaga and other shit. So who fucking cares about what they did in terms of success. That doesn't make them better

Lady GaGa won't sell 200 million albums nor will she be remembered for creating one of the greatest rock albums of all time that is still loved 25+ years later.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Must make you guys so butthurt that Slash is the most sought after guitarist in terms of tone and influence nowadays.

dont take it so personal geeze...you know the guy or what?

there are a bazillion threads that diefy the man, one thread with a few less than complimentary comments aint a big deal. music is subjective, there is no right or wrong. its unique for each of us, thats the beauty of it.

you are free to worship at the altar of slash, as we are free to choose not to.

Rafał

Reaction score
You know that the only things on the album that he created on his own which I remember ATM were WTTJ intro and SCOM intro + his solos? It's not really his album, more of Axl n' Izzy with help of Duff and Slash.

Khaos

Reaction score
Well, for me I rarely refer to slash, most of the times I refer to Guns and Roses. I mean, he is a great player. Defenitly among the best. But I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of the list. Musically, I think he hit the top of his career when he was in Guns and Roses. And even though they aren't my favourite band I still like them.

And like scat said Slash has allowed himself to become a brand in an embarassing way. But it wasn't all his fault. Part of the fault were from the people who purchase guitars, amps and gear with the only pourpuse being to "be Slash". Companies just use those people to make money.
That's why I try never to be too fanactic about something, it's never good for my side.

nightrain

Reaction score
You know that the only things on the album that he created on his own which I remember ATM were WTTJ intro and SCOM intro + his solos? It's not really his album, more of Axl n' Izzy with help of Duff and Slash.

Slash has writing credits on 8/12 songs + all his lead work. He wrote WTTJ and SCOM which are the songs which drove GNR on to the world stage. He also wrote RQ, one of their greatest songs. He's got just as much credit on the songs as Izzy or Axl. They all together collectively made this amazing album. When I mention Slash and AFD on this thread, I'm referring to his lead guitar work. I actually think his best tone and playing was done live and on the UYI albums. AFD is still an amazing album by anyone's standards. I dont care for Led Zep at all, but I still can respect their huge importance in Rock music. AFD was a landmark album, no debate to be had.

Mike_j

Reaction score

The only thing GNR ever dominated was in proving musicians are capable of being world class arrogant dickheads?
Album sale numbers mean nothing anymore. Axl now looks like he ate all the album sale proceeds anyway.