Somebody find me this guitar

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
Finding a ‘67 RI in “worn finish” is not difficult. They are plentiful… cheaper, and play VERY well. Color ranges from an Ethan Allen Furniture red to orangey browns… which that might be.

Finding a ’RI in natural finish (not a stripped one) is an extremely difficult task. Better luck would be had getting a V-98 or (if you can stomach how ugly they are) the current “Antique Natural” half-pickguard thing.

V-man

Reaction score
My suggestion: 02-03 Ebony board w Crescent Moon inlays (people want too much for them now, however)… any mid-late 2000s Worn Cherry should do though39C9394D-338B-431B-9799-6B643EECB94A.jpeg

Second choice is the striking V-98 (67 RI with 58 Furniture)

17C7C05A-C266-4661-8A0F-9355D00A741D.jpeg

Not this fucking new one though. Yuuuucccckkk

F34E73BE-E179-41B5-827D-F7F457CA0B15.jpeg
My ‘06 was actually a striking example of what you wanted… very lovely cherry but I was bound and determined to do a custom V.
DAE2FC17-42AA-4C61-AD54-F60BE0BF5284.jpeg28C2081B-2AF6-4845-88CB-999E96F2D0E1.jpeg

Attachments

• BC41AD32-EF44-49E8-9D90-FA2B2909118B.jpeg
    BC41AD32-EF44-49E8-9D90-FA2B2909118B.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 22311A73-74C1-4725-84A2-4CBA23700E84.jpeg
    22311A73-74C1-4725-84A2-4CBA23700E84.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 3

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.

View attachment 129500
LOL! Funny you should mention:

f34e73be-e179-41b5-827d-f7f457ca0b15-jpeg.129500

That's the one I bought a couple months ago:

1682952042551.jpeg

^ Not a fan of the "lightning bolt" pickguard, but it's the only Gibson V you can get in a light enough natural finish. It's not the end of the world, and it's a really nice playing, sounding guitar. 7.25 lbs. and no neck dive!

I had this guitar too, in 2003 or 4. Mine was the later version just after your model, with the dot inlays. I should have kept it, but I bought it for a metal band I was in briefly, and when it was over, I didn't keep it because I don't care for dark red.

39c9394d-338b-431b-9799-6b643eecb94a-jpeg.129498

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I wonder if WD would make you a black ”V98 pickguard” for your antique natural. Lightning bolt: very clever terminology… no clue about why they did that but the geometry looks completely fucked. That extra square of PG beneath the strings means everything on the 58/98 types. WD does not do custom orders ATM but what ai would do is beg them to make a black V98 and put ol’ lightning bolt on top to line the screws under the strings (or no screws, or no screws under string area for you to add later). Otherwise, you can try aftermarket w Gibson Goth replacement PG (a 98 in black). I suggest black as it will blend with the bell TRC better than white bottom/black top.

there is also a very nice worn on reverb but it’s $2k (no way).

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I wonder if WD would make you a black ”V98 pickguard” for your antique natural. Lightning bolt: very clever terminology… no clue about why they did that but the geometry looks completely fucked. That extra square of PG beneath the strings means everything on the 58/98 types. WD does not do custom orders ATM but what ai would do is beg them to make a black V98 and put ol’ lightning bolt on top to line the screws under the strings (or no screws, or no screws under string area for you to add later). Otherwise, you can try aftermarket w Gibson Goth replacement PG (a 98 in black). I suggest black as it will blend with the bell TRC better than white bottom/black top.

there is also a very nice worn on reverb but it’s $2k (no way).
I've looked into changing the pickguard. The dimensions and screw holes are critical, as well as the bridge & tailpiece area, and pickup locations. Not to mention the routing: whether it would even match a '58 'guard in the first place.

I also considered getting a round jack plate from eBay, but then drilling into a $2K guitar isn't a thing I want to do. I've come to accept the guitar for the way it looks, because it plays and sounds great. It looks ok, it just doesn't have a classic look; it's a "modern" look. I think that guard would look best on a gloss black version, but not natural finish. It is wat it is, and I continue hoping to find something even better.

V-man

Reaction score
I've looked into changing the pickguard. The dimensions and screw holes are critical, as well as the bridge & tailpiece area, and pickup locations. Not to mention the routing: whether it would even match a '58 'guard in the first place.
definitely ditch the input jack route idea (i agree, not worth the squeeze unless you are fully committed.

Now to PG… Interestingly, I had both Goths, Epi and Gibson. The Epi was a true clusterfuck with a bridge bushing on the bass side, but an ABR-style post right into the wood at the treble side. This WOULD interfere with your plans. However the Gibson Goth had bushings on both sides for the Nashville (as it should be) and the PG was so-situated to accommodate the treble side bushing. Granted, the screw holes on a direct aftermarket would be a lottery for even MOST to line up, but you can either direct drop the Goth and drill to its prefab holes or order a Goth custom with no screw holes drilled and DIY (or provide them w a tracing of yours for the screw hole alignment).

PelliX

Reaction score
My suggestion: 02-03 Ebony board w Crescent Moon inlays (people want too much for them now, however)… any mid-late 2000s Worn Cherry should do thoughView attachment 129498

View attachment 129499

View attachment 129500
My ‘06 was actually a striking example of what you wanted… very lovely cherry but I was bound and determined to do a custom V.
View attachment 129503View attachment 129504

I understand you're "V-man", so you will have more knowledge of them than I do. I'm not knocking V's at all, they're just generally not my thing. Albert King couldn't even QUITE change my mind on that one (bastard still comes close, though...).

I'm confused, what exactly is so different between the V-98 - which you praise - and the new one posted below, to which you said "Yuuuucccckkk"? I'm not seeing this massive difference, I think. Optically... I rate them fairly much equal... :shrug: What am I missing?

V-man

Reaction score
I'm confused, what exactly is so different between the V-98 - which you praise - and the new one posted below, to which you said "Yuuuucccckkk"? I'm not seeing this massive difference, I think. Optically... I rate them fairly much equal... :shrug: What am I missing?

Specs all being equal, +/-, the matter (mostly) comes down to aesthetics. The nameless “Antique Natural” (otherwise sold as B-2) is just an extremely ugly guitar. The “Lightning” PG as Vin put it utterly detracts from the looks of top. Add to that the mismatched bell TRC in black against the white PG on that garish ‘84-style headstock and you have a busy and gross Frankenstein of a presentation. I would say from a functional pov that the 3-in-line 58/98 knob layout is easier to access than the delta layout of other Vs, though most V players are used to it.

In short, like the so-called “70s V” that incurs my wrath, ALL new Vs since Henry J split town are just lazily contrived, poorly-executed, or both.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
My suggestion: 02-03 Ebony board w Crescent Moon inlays (people want too much for them now, however)… any mid-late 2000s Worn Cherry should do thoughView attachment 129498

View attachment 129499

View attachment 129500
View attachment 129503View attachment 129504
one thing I notice, is the neck pickup placement. I think I like it better when the pickup is right next to the fingerboard, not distanced away, like in some of them. Why is there a variance?

V-man

Reaction score
one thing I notice, is the neck pickup placement. I think I like it better when the pickup is right next to the fingerboard, not distanced away, like in some of them. Why is there a variance?
One or both of Two possibilities come to mind. The most likely is full PGs did not have rings and needed the space to form a perimeter both to mount the pup AND to give enough PG material for structural stability (or was so-contrived when designing in ‘67). The other idea may involve different tenon lengths between the 58 and 67 and everything after that became a design cue from one of those ages as Gibson started to consolidate its tenon construction.
for Gibson, especially solid color, I like the '80s rear routed V's... (no pickguard)
The XPL (hockey stick headstock) was a real looker far ahead of its time (A precursor to the Mustaine before he even played Vs). The other 84s have a goofy knob layout that detracts from the looks and horrible colors in general, but where these look best is a Black with dark board or a white with a Floyd (not a Kahler).

G the wildman

Reaction score
Epiphone have just released a new V in partnership with Gibson Custom shop.

I was tempted, still am, but I have an LP I don’t imagine it would be too different.

But they are cool mothers. Maybe one day . . .

G