Sourmash Vs Mojotone Head Shells

• Thread starter charvel2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Have any of you Sourmash guys gotten a cab covered in British green Levant? I wondering if it is the same shade of green that Marshall used on those 80’s jcm800’s.

F4076A7C-9A21-4466-9F62-9F787FFEA250.jpeg

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
MojoTone will send you samples for any of the grill cloth, tolex, etc that they sell. I have about 8 samples laying around from when I bought myncab from them...they really are excellent to do business with!
Also good to know. Maybe Sourmash will, too.

Exojam

Reaction score
I have a Sourmash 2*12 1936 cab. Built like a rock and communication was top notch.

If I need anything else built go8ng straight back to him!

JLH

Reaction score
Well, I have used both of them.

I used Sourmash and he built me a period correct 1X12 combo cab for my 1980 JMP 2204. He did a great job and customer service was excellent. A good friend of mine used him also for a replacement Plexi head cab and it was excellent. Because this is a small company, just Bob and his wife, when you call you probably wont get him and will leave a message and he will call back in a day or two.

I used MojoTone for a Blues Breaker style 1X12 combo cab for another project and it was excellent. Customer service was stellar. They called m eto tell me the order was shipping then followed it up with an e-mail...no BS at all.

Both places packaged their product perfectly. I cant really say which ones better at this point. For me it would come down to who has the product I want as a standard offering.

You wont be disappointed with either IMO!
I can second the above, I do like the very personal touch of sour mash, however, I have dealt with both with equal results, either way your in good hands

JLH

Reaction score
I have a Sourmash 2*12 1936 cab. Built like a rock and communication was top notch.

If I need anything else built go8ng straight back to him!
Yeah, they built me a 1936 and I just got them to build a second that is a slant to male a small stack, looks AMAZING. A 2/12 bottom and 2/12 angle top

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
Sourmash quality is excellent. I've ordered a smallbox headshell and a 2061CX cab, couldn't be happer, I've owned the cab for over ten yrs.

I'm anxiously waiting on my third piece from Bob, a JMP style headshell for my mini jubilee. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

charvel2

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the feedback! It appears to me that can’t go wrong with either company and Sour Mash may be a little better value.
Leaning towards MojoTone as they have exactly what I’m looking for and customer service to this point has been awesome. Will post when make final decision and have project completed. Thanks!

charvel2

Reaction score
I appreciate all the great feedback. Looks like can’t go wrong with either company. Will Let you all know when make final decision and post some pictures when completed. Thanks!

houseofrock

Reaction score
I agree, though similar each company has slightly different offerings. It just depends on what you are looking for.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I believe both companies will make custom builds though I have seen one of's from SourMash and not from Mojotone on the used market. I know many here are partial to Avatar cabs. I prefer the look of SourMash and Mojotone better but once again that is preference based on look and not construction quality. With Mojotone you also have a large selection of speakers if you want the cabinet preloaded.
There is also Splawn cabs. https://www.splawnguitars.com/cabs.htm

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I agree, though similar each company has slightly different offerings. It just depends on what you are looking for.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I believe both companies will make custom builds though I have seen one of's from SourMash and not from Mojotone on the used market. I know many here are partial to Avatar cabs. I prefer the look of SourMash and Mojotone better but once again that is preference based on look and not construction quality. With Mojotone you also have a large selection of speakers if you want the cabinet preloaded.
There is also Splawn cabs. https://www.splawnguitars.com/cabs.htm

SourMash made me a Special 1X12 period correct looking cab for one of my JMPs...looks awesome. Here are two pics of it. I went with him for two reasons. (1) he had this cab as a 2X12 standard offering and (2) he was able to scale it down to a 1X12 for me with no issues and/or up charges.

JMP 2.jpg JMP 1.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
SourMash made me a Special 1X12 period correct looking cab for one of my JMPs...looks awesome. Here are two pics of it. I went with him for two reasons. (1) he had this cab as a 2X12 standard offering and (2) he was able to scale it down to a 1X12 for me with no issues and/or up charges.

View attachment 54233 View attachment 54234
That looks a lot like my old 2104, what do they call that speaker grill cloth? Another member here was looking for a source, as well! Cheers

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I just ordered a head cab from Sourmash for my new build. The amp chassis is 3/8ths of an inch deeper than a regular Plexi. Bob at Sourmash answered all my email questions and even sent me a sample of the covering. He is changing the dimensions of the regular cab to fit my specs and the price is still the same. That’s a custom build at a regular price and great customer service.

steveb63

Reaction score
I don't post often, hardly ever really .

I always have to give respect to Bob @sourmash, looking at four extension and one head cab built by him. One a custom job.

Great work, very fair pricing good quality materials! What more could someone want?

No affiliation , just a stoked customer.

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
Got my custom head shell from Sourmash last weekend, here she is

L5UcLje.jpg