Starting Over.

• Thread starter chiliphil1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
As some of you guys know for the past couple of years I have been dealing with an on the job injury. I've been through a few medical procedures and haven't shown any signs of improvement. I think that my case is about to wrap up with a medical release. The problem is that I am now considered "disabled" and I have to work under doctor's restrictions for the rest of my life.

Up to this point, I have been a few things. Auto mechanic was first, then I drove a truck, I was an insurance adjuster for a while, truck again, car mechanic again, and finally I scored my dream gig as a motorcycle mechanic, that's where the injury happened. With the exception of the insurance job I've always been a heavy manual labor kind of guy. I've been to school for motorcycle mechanics, I've got years of relevant experience, I've spent my life building into that career.

Now, I am having to give it all up. My lawyer's opinion at this point is that I will not qualify for disability thus will have to go back to work but I can't do what I have done my whole life. I now have to start from the bottom in some form of sedentary office job :erk: The only time I have ever done that was the above-mentioned insurance job and honestly, that job almost killed me. Without going into too many personal details I endured the darkest period of my life including a full mental breakdown solely because of that job. I think the combination of high pressure, confined spaces, and being "trapped" in a position was just too much for me. I'm the kind of guy who likes to either lead or be free, I do not tolerate being micro managed at all and that's exactly what the insurance job was, someone up your rectum from open to close.

Anyhow, I'm making this post not for pity but advice. I respect many of you on this forum and know that you have more life experience than I and that some of you make butt tons of money:agreed: I'm at a crossroads and I honestly have no idea which way to go. I am hoping that someone has done one of the career paths I'm thinking and perhaps can give a yay or nay on whether it would be a good idea.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to become long winded for a moment.

I'm 30, so not really a spring chicken anymore. The amount of money I'll have to work with at this time is unknown. It's possible that I may have enough money to live on for 1-2 years and pay tuition to a tech school or online university. I'm married with 4 kids, so I can't do the 4-year degree at a normal college thing, it just won't work. I cannot work part time while I learn either because it won't be enough income. I need to go from zero to career in 2 years or less. I also need to go into something with higher entry level pay. I can't do the $7 an hour coffee grabber thing, my family won't survive.

The jobs that I am considering are these. Computer programming, accounting, business management, medical coding, and engineering technology. A quick rundown of my thoughts on these.

Computer programming, well, it seems like it would be "ok" not something I've ever really wanted to do but out of the very limited options I have it sounds better than a lot of others. I could get an associates degree in this field either from home or at a local technical college.

Accounting, same as above. Never something I wanted to do but doesn't sound like it would be horrid. I like the idea of a fast-paced environment as I tend to work better under pressure and I like "getting things done" but I don't really know how "entry level" jobs in this field go. This could also be an associate's degree or a career diploma, both options are available.

Business management, well.. I've always been a strong leader and am more comfortable in that role. However, I'm thinking that it may be difficult to find such a position straight out of school, especially considering the amount of people with this same degree. I also fear that this may end up being more cost than return, I mean technically managing a McDonald's is "business management" but I'm sure the pay isn't worth the education time and costs. For this one I could do associate's or bachelor's degree.

Medical coding, this one is honestly the most appealing to me simply because most jobs in the field are done from home and should I ever relocate I would be able to keep the same job. The problem I am finding here is that it is apparently very difficult to find work in this field until you have 2+ years of experience. The old must have job for experience must have experience for job thing comes up again. From what I read online most people who have recently passed the CPC exam end up working in billing or some other menial task at a doctor's office for a few years until one day maybe they can actually do the coding job. However, I also read that once you have those 2 years the sky is the limit, lots of opportunities, and lots of high paying gigs.

Finally, engineering technology. This one does have an appeal to me, the thought of being an engineer is pretty cool. I love how engineers do things, no BS, just get it done. However, this would be an associates degree, and I feel that it could limit my chances of working in the field because honestly, I would be up against people with a PHD in the field and it's going to be quite difficult to keep up with them. Still though, could be a fun and interesting, possibly lucrative option.

Alright, so now I have everything aired out. Hopefully, you guys can see my predicament. I'm up against the wall in that I have to work but can't work where any of my experience or knowledge is. I have to choose a sedentary career as my permanent work restrictions won't allow me to do something where I am standing or lifting often. I have a short time frame to enter the field, and I need to enter at a good pay rate $30k+ I feel like I am just pinned down here and I honestly have no idea what I should do. Hence the post.

Sadly, given my restrictions there are many appealing positions which I just can't do. Some of those being electronics technician, pilot (life long dream) building inspector, and several more.

If you guys have any advice, opinions, suggestions, anything. I would love to hear about it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

mazzefr

Reaction score
Can you drive and move around ok? How about working for a motorcycle or parts company as a rep? That way you're still involved in something you love without the physical demands of mechanic work.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Can you drive and move around ok? How about working for a motorcycle or parts company as a rep? That way you're still involved in something you love without the physical demands of mechanic work.

That's actually a good idea. I would have to wait for the official restrictions from my doc. I've got to do a functional capacity exam which tells me how disabled I am. From that the doctor will set the restrictions. With the restrictions I have right now I could not do the rep thing because I can't lift over 5 lbs or stand for more than 5 minutes per hour. If they were to slack a little I could possibly do that job.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the physical disability? Is it your back?

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
How about teaching engine mechanics at a VoTech or jr college? You have the experience and know-how. You will probably need some education/training to get a teaching certificate.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Where is the physical disability? Is it your back?

Hip

First thing: stop spending money on gear.

Notice that there hasn't been a big purchase lately. Anything I do buy is cheap and within my disposable income range.

service writer, body shop estimator. easy work. good pay. no real physical labor.

Nope, too much standing and walking. Unless my restrictions are reduced I can't do those jobs. You have to think too, when I apply I have to disclose that to the employer and when they see that I have an injury and am not supposed to squat, lift, walk, they're not going to hire me for a job that requires it.

How about teaching engine mechanics at a VoTech or jr college? You have the experience and know-how. You will probably need some education/training to get a teaching certificate.

That's a good idea too. I'll look into that, I think teaching would be enjoyable.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about computer coding? My son's friend who graduated high school last year learned to code, and has deferred going to college for a year, because she's making six figures doing computer coding work for a tech company. I know nothing about that industry, but may be something worth investigating.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
How about computer coding? My son's friend who graduated high school last year learned to code, and has deferred going to college for a year, because she's making six figures doing computer coding work for a tech company. I know nothing about that industry, but may be something worth investigating.
One word of caution on coding: it's a good living, but if you get into that aspect of the industry you can never know enough languages, so you'd better really like it. Very long hours of sitting, you may eventually find yourself going to the bathroom 30 times a day just to have an opportunity to get up and move around. I'm a Web Developer (among other things) who doesn't necessarily write code from scratch, but when I do Web projects it's still a LOT of sitting.

Last edited:

Ghostman

Reaction score
Job progression:

Learn a trade - work at learning how to do the manual labor
Get proficient at your job
Advance to running a crew - little desk work, still doing a lot of labor
Move up to managing a shop - mostly desk work
Managing position - no more labor

Good luck with your new endeavors Chil... Starting over isn't easy at all. Nothing but the best for you.

If it were me, I'd stay with what I know. In your case it's Motorcycles. There's many aspects to any industry that isn't turning a wrench. Look into that.

As far as Engineers getting shit done? They design it, the Technicians actually make it work. ;)

Steve P

Reaction score
Sh*t man that sucks. I know how you feel, I suffered an injury that has put me on medical leave for a number of years. Hopefully It wont be for the rest of my life but if it is Ill be in the same boat as you, unable to ever work a physical job again.

While I have no personal experience in any of the careers you mentioned I would suggest computer programming. I believe the field will have lots of job opportunities in the future and if you play your cards right you can become your own boss and work from anywhere. My dad is a programmer and after working as a government contractor founded his own company which is now owned by amazon and then semi retired at an early age. He now works from home on his own schedule, and can work from anywhere in the world with just a computer, and has no intention of ever working another 9-5 job again.

Best of luck to you

Red

Bloodrock

Reaction score
That sucks man. Are you gonna be able to get government disability pay to help? I've been an auto master tech for 20 years, 2 herniated discs and still turning wrenches. Back surgery is in my near future. I can't find another job that pays even close to what I make unless I get a batchelors degree.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
That sucks man. Are you gonna be able to get government disability pay to help? I've been an auto master tech for 20 years, 2 herniated discs and still turning wrenches. Back surgery is in my near future. I can't find another job that pays even close to what I make unless I get a batchelors degree.

occupational hazard
at what point does one put his health before his money?

chiliphil1

Reaction score
One word of caution on coding: it's a good living, but if you get into that aspect of the industry you can never know enough languages, so you'd better really like it. Very long hours of sitting, you may eventually find yourself going to the bathroom 30 times a day just to have an opportunity to get up and move around. I'm a Web Developer (among other things) who doesn't necessarily write code from scratch, but when I do Web projects it's still a LOT of sitting.

See, that's the kind of info I need. I assumed it would be like that but you know what they say about assumptions. Anyhow, it sounds like the insurance job I used to have. You, desk, chain.

For your occupation how did you go about getting into web development? Did you take the same courses as the associates in computer programing or something different? The program I'm looking at teaches lots of stuff, java, c+, tons of different areas. Seems very comprehensive but I don't know if I need something more "focused"

My lawyer tells me that I would not qualify for disability since I am too young and I have worked a non physical job within the last 15 years. He said that if I had only been a mechanic for the last 15 years I would have a chance at it but since I had that insurance job it basically disqualifies me, I can't believe how much that job has screwed my life, even still.

My thing really is that I need to maintain $30k, no less. I don't need to be wealthy but I need to survive and that's what it would take. I am going to have to wait until the doctor gives me the physical capacity test as I may be able to do more than I think, ultimately it falls to him. If I am less disabled than I seem it's possible to stay within my industry but right now I have to plan for the worst.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
See, that's the kind of info I need. I assumed it would be like that but you know what they say about assumptions. Anyhow, it sounds like the insurance job I used to have. You, desk, chain.

For your occupation how did you go about getting into web development? Did you take the same courses as the associates in computer programing or something different? The program I'm looking at teaches lots of stuff, java, c+, tons of different areas. Seems very comprehensive but I don't know if I need something more "focused"...

Today I would recommend a career in music before I'd recommend a career in Web Dev. :D Web Dev ain't what it used to be when I got started in computers in 2001. Only thing I can recommend is programming, networking, high level expertise at VMware, etc. I do a lot of different things, jack of trades, lots of Help Desk L1, L2, L3 - that's just how I evolved since '01. But it's nearly impossible today to become a "jack of trades" in the computing industry; today you have to specialize in a specific field. My issue with that is, what if I'm a programmer and suddenly computers become smart enough to do that job? It'll happen eventually. Technology evolved Web Dev away. At least in my position I've got a lot of bases covered. I love the field(s) I'm in, but if I could start my life over, I'd have built an amusement park or a bunch of theaters, or something else in Family Entertainment. I love to see people having fun. I want to see people smile as opposed to just doing a job. In my field, fixing people's workstations makes many of them smile, and I do dig that, so I do get something out of it. Other times I'm just remoting... clicking... installing... watching load bars... meh, it's a good living.

Importantest thing is to find something you like to do and are good at. I started in computers late in life. I don't know how old you are, but as long as you have the energy, it's never too late to start over, to re-invent yourself. BELIEVE in yourself and work your @ss off for what you want. I've re-invented myself several times.

*Updated with more accurate spelling and improved grammar.

Last edited:

hazmat7719

Reaction score
Good luck Chiliphil1,
I had knee surgery due to an on the job injury. I went from a physical job at one company to a management position at a different company in a similar industry. It takes a little time to get used to the change.