Starting Over.

• Thread starter chiliphil1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Have you considered a career in sales?

I started in sales at the MC dealer I was at. I didn't make it a month. They moved me to the parts dept because I was terrible at sales.

I also have the issue (if you mean motorcycle sales) of whether or not the company would allow me to perform the job as I would still have to push bikes and atv's around which technically would override my restrictions.

I just read this entire thread, & can't give any advice about your career dude, but it truly sucks if you have to start all over again...

I spent 25 years as an underground coal miner, & while it's not bad all the time, there are instances where it's simply brute labor...That's all I've ever done, & all I know...I got laid off on Jan 18, 2015, & couldn't find a job, even with 25+ years experience, there's simply nothing around where I live...Then I had a heart attack on October 28th, 2015...I lost a lot of gear (sold it to pay bills), lots of other things, & lost my house all in the stretch of a few months...

I'm really not sure how disability is determined, but I got my disability in March of 2016...My regular doctor did influence someone he knew, & it helped to push it on through...While I don't make near the $$$ I did when I was a coal miner, I still get enough every month to live on...

When it's all said & done, I went from making about $80,000 + a year, to a little under $30,000 a year...It's a big change, I can manage it, but honestly, I don't really have a choice...

I really don't see what the issue is regarding your disability dude, you might wanna check with your doctor to see if he could help, you never know...

Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain what happened to me, & maybe you can use some of this to help yourself...

Hang in there, & keep your head up dude...I know everything seems awful right now, but I'm sure you'll pull through...You're in my thoughts & prayers man, so again, hang in there...

Sorry to hear that all of that happened to you. While my situation isn't nearly as catastrophic I can certainly empathize with you.

The issue with my disability is that I'll have permanent doctor placed restrictions which will keep me from being able to work many jobs. I'll have to disclose those restrictions and then wouldn't be hired because of them. It's the same reason I've been out of work for over 2 years now. I show up with restrictions and they tell me to go home. It just means that I can't work physical jobs. I'll have to do something which doesn't require me to do much/any labor.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I started in sales at the MC dealer I was at. I didn't make it a month. They moved me to the parts dept because I was terrible at sales.

I also have the issue (if you mean motorcycle sales) of whether or not the company would allow me to perform the job as I would still have to push bikes and atv's around which technically would override my restrictions.

Sorry to hear that all of that happened to you. While my situation isn't nearly as catastrophic I can certainly empathize with you.

The issue with my disability is that I'll have permanent doctor placed restrictions which will keep me from being able to work many jobs. I'll have to disclose those restrictions and then wouldn't be hired because of them. It's the same reason I've been out of work for over 2 years now. I show up with restrictions and they tell me to go home. It just means that I can't work physical jobs. I'll have to do something which doesn't require me to do much/any labor.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of inside sales / sales support. An outside sales position would not suit you given your physical limitations.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
No, I was thinking more along the lines of inside sales / sales support. An outside sales position would not suit you given your physical limitations.

I could certainly look into it. I mean, I know what I want to pursue but that doesn't mean that all of the pieces are going to fall into place. Definitely looking into backup/contingency plans.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck Phil.
And this thread made me look at your Youtube channel again.

I had to wonder whether there was potential income for you there.

What you have is very informative for a person who is shopping for an amp.
But I suppose that type of helpful stuff is not the fast Youtube track to millions of views and instant profit.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Good luck Phil.
And this thread made me look at your Youtube channel again.

I had to wonder whether there was potential income for you there.

What you have is very informative for a person who is shopping for an amp.
But I suppose that type of helpful stuff is not the fast Youtube track to millions of views and instant profit.

Thank you tubes, I really appreciate that. Honestly, I have no idea how the "pro" gear demo people do it. Someone like "the tone king" who I think does terrible demos has all kinds of amps and guitars to show off. The guy goes to NAMM.. I have no idea how to get that big into the gear demo game. I just do it to help people because as anyone who follows my posts will know, every time I want to buy a piece of gear I ask all kinds of questions. What I try to do is to answer as many of those questions as I can for people, especially those like me who don't have access to a lot of gear near home. I never planned to make it big, just to provide a service. It would be neat to be floated some gear to demo and then return, that'd be cool.