• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Steve Stevens Is Friggin Amazing!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Currently learning how to play Rebel Yell for the new band I got in, I can play the fingerpicked intro part, just need to practice flipping my pick between my fingers for when the riff starts. That said I checked out a few videos featuring Steve Stevens and holy shit, that dude is a great guitar player!

I always liked Billy Idol stuff because most of it is very ambient and the guitar complements the song perfectly, it sounds less like "wankery" and "showing off" and more like delicious icing on the cake.

Found this performance:

Yeah they have gotten old and Billys voice has seen better days (singing "flesh for fantasy" in the lower key rather than the original high one) but damn listen to Steve (and the whole band) doing those tasty piezo driven lines and chords. The distorted guitar also sounds amazing.

I tip my hat. Great musicians and Steve is a genius in his own right!

Petri358

Reaction score
And what a gear freak. Nothing "straight forward" on his setup :agreed:

Derek S

Reaction score
He's sooo underrated. Check out his stuff with Bozzio-Levin-Stevens and then tell me the guy doesn't have chops.
There's also a great video out there of him demo'ing his signature Friedman amp and he just rips it up while explaining the amp features, doing crazy fast but clean as hell alternate picking stuff (with a fairly effect free tone, which is cool because he's kinda known as a big, wild effect guy..and usually is lol), nasty bends, tasty phrasing, etc. SS is legit.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
There's also a great video out there of him demo'ing his signature Friedman amp and he just rips it up while explaining the amp features, doing crazy fast but clean as hell alternate picking stuff (with a fairly effect free tone, which is cool because he's kinda known as a big, wild effect guy..and usually is lol), nasty bends, tasty phrasing, etc. SS is legit.
His solo in Rebel Yell is one of the all-time greats. And I don't just mean the parts with the laser gun!

BowerR64

Reaction score
I think Flesh for Fantasy is one of my favorite BIlly Idol songs

Now thats a killer idea for a pedal. I never thought the "tone" control was all that useful maybe adjust it a little but an EQ? why hasnt anyone else ever thought of that till now?

Now the "tone control" is much more useful