Substitue for 2555 Jubilee - Vintage Modern?

• Thread starter Manton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adwex

Reaction score
If it doesn't have to be an actual "silver" jubilee, you can save a little more $$$ and look for a Slash model. They go cheaper than the silver version, and it's the same amp, basically

Manton

Reaction score
If you dig the vibe of the Jubilee, then I think you'd likely prefer the VM to the JVM. As for 100 v. 50w, unless you are playing stadiums, outside venues, or really need the additional clean headroom, then I'd go with the 50w if I were you. Really, trust me on the Strat/VM combination ... it's ridiculous. Unless I'm wearing ice skates to the ballpark here, I can't imagine you'd be anything less than thrilled.

For what it's worth, I own both a 50w VM as well as a Strat ... so I speak from experience on this.

You speak very highly of the VM+Strat combo, may I ask what type of music you play and what kinds of tones you get with your strat and the VM?

steelhorse

Reaction score
I have the SJ 2555 and the VM 2466 & 2266. The VM is close but not quite the same because of the output valves and circuitry.

To me the SJ is sweeter and more dynamic. Very responsive to pick attack and very articulate. It's also easier to dial in than a VM in my experience.

The VM is a different animal altogether and if you really dig the SJ that's what I would save up for. Buy a used DSL50 or a combo up until you have the $ for the SJ. It's definitely worth saving for and the resale value is there if you ever need to sell it especially the silver models.

The Slash heads are still up there in price in the US so I don't see you getting any kind of relief over in Sweden.

Anyway go for the SJ, they're great-great amps.

Manton

Reaction score
Ya SJ is out of the question. I'm 15, I don't have a job. I can't save money :)

steelhorse

Reaction score
You have 1400 correct? Are there any laws prohibiting you from getting a job? That's how I got my drum kits, keyboards, car and other stuff when I was 16.

It can be done if you want it bad enough (I did lawns, washed and waxed cars for friends and neighbors, sold magazines, delivered newspapers and worked as a stocker). My folks didn't buy my big boy toys when I was a kid, I did.

If you can't afford it buy what you can but I'm not sure you'll be happy with the VM.

If you don't want to work for a Jubilee buy a used DSL50 head and cab. They're very good and should be well within your price range. Very versatile and reliable as well.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
You speak very highly of the VM+Strat combo, may I ask what type of music you play and what kinds of tones you get with your strat and the VM?

For what it's worth (you mentioned him anyway), here was the latest post on the Marshall Vintage Modern forum:

Bonnamassa using a VM, QUICK!!

all uk readers, BBC2. Friday. joe bonnamassa using a VM on Jools Holland . Around 11 oclock. check it out

Anyway, to answer your question I play many different styles. With the VM I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, and 70's/80's classic metal. As for tones, I could go on and on for days w/cliches but it's just one of those things you have to experience for yourself. All I can really say is that if you are looking for a good blues, classic rock, hard rock & 70's/80's classic metal amp, you'd be hard pressed to find something better (again, especially w/your Strat!).

Manton

Reaction score
You have 1400 correct? Are there any laws prohibiting you from getting a job? That's how I got my drum kits, keyboards, car and other stuff when I was 16.

It can be done if you want it bad enough (I did lawns, washed and waxed cars for friends and neighbors, sold magazines, delivered newspapers and worked as a stocker). My folks didn't buy my big boy toys when I was a kid, I did.

If you can't afford it buy what you can but I'm not sure you'll be happy with the VM.

If you don't want to work for a Jubilee buy a used DSL50 head and cab. They're very good and should be well within your price range. Very versatile and reliable as well.

Well first off I'm turning 16. Culture is a bit different in Sweden, it's near impossible to get a real job at my age here unless it's a summer job (which I have applied for) and 1400 will be my budget after I sell my current amp and have worked this summer... I've applied for like 10 different phony jobs (newspaper selling, deliverymen etc) like two years ago but still haven't got any response and I know I'm on the waiting list. That and I'm already working helping to renovate a relatives basement at weekends. And I still need to buy another pedal, a 4x12 and maybe a new set of pickups...

And everything is quite pricey here. An average condition silver jubilee head would probably fall in the $4000 range in the rare occasion that one would be sold.

----------------

The tone I'm going after is basically very similar to a bonamassa strat tone which is;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2RgZ_gIdE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2jo0q2LKa4&feature=related -- Weird tone, but sometime around the solo it's less freakish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDAQm2qWnYw

Also I know he is using a clapton mid boost to beef up the tone in the last clip, possibly in the first but I'm not sure.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Buy a VM or DSL combo and you should be set. Will it sound like a SJ? no, nothing sounds like a jubilee.

You won't need the 4 x 12 if you get a combo so you can then get this pedal you're wanting and the pickups I suppose.

Since you're on a limited budget and can't get more money that's what you should consider.

fwiw, Joe uses several amps and many pedals to achieve his tones, not just the jubilee.

Good luck!

poeman33

Reaction score
To me a huge part of his sound is his effects. Also the maple neck on his Strat really comes through as part of the sound. Not too much gain, but it really sounds like the Marshall is cranked. If you play with the settings, a VM or DSL can probably get close. I have the DSL, and I would say the VM would be closer to his sound, but either amp can get you a great sound. You just have to work with it to get "your" sound. They are both very responsive to subtle changes.

Manton

Reaction score
I insist on getting a 4x12. I am tired of combos, much prefer half stacks. So I will probably save up for the VM 50w head...

I also stressed how unimportant it is that it sounds like a jubilee, as long as it still sounds good. I think I will be very happy with it, but I honestly can't find a place near me that has VM's or DSL's or anything particular at all. Maybe I will just have to order one and return it if I don't like it. Time will tell...

Thanks for all advice

Manton

Reaction score
Thanks for the link but I am already a member there and have read that thread :)

Thing is, I'm almost satisfied with the tone I have now, the thing though is it lacks that low end that marshalls have (biggest problem) and I don't use the amps drive, all my od/dist is from a pedal and it's just to clean of a sound. I want a true amp distortion instead of just a clean amp + a pedal because that just sounds better so it's not that important that it is a jubilee

Adwex

Reaction score

fwiw, Joe uses several amps and many pedals to achieve his tones, not just the jubilee.

Good luck!

This is true, he uses 4 amps, only 2 are on at any given moment...but...the Jubilee is the ONLY amp that is ALWAYS on.

Manton

Reaction score
Basically the tone I want is the one from his first album, New day yesterday. The tone there is made by two silver jubs.
But it doesn't have to be that tone, just something similar

Manton

Reaction score
Ok. Today I played a JVM210h Through a stock Am Standard strat and a fulltone fat-boost 2. My impression; coupled with the fat boost it gave me the fatness I need. It's not just fatness I need but a overdrive that's a bit gritty for playing riffs and not just the way I have now, an ultra boosted clean channel. I did however find it way to fuzzy, played through a 1960a cab btw. I know this is not like neither of the amps, but perhaps you can tell me how the VM compares to the jvm, if it's fuzzier or less fuzzy etc.

So basically the jvm played at the orange od channel was too fuzzy for me but still had enough fatness coupled with the fat-boost and sounded alot more "real" than my setup.

Manton

Reaction score
a JCM800 2204/2003 with an SD-1 in front will get you there. The SD-1 will give you the extra top end and a bit of that fuzzy texture that the Jubilee has.

it won't be the same though.

Not sure about the VM - I don't have one.

Do these amps have a lead channel, do they need to be cranked to get a drive or do they have a drive setting or something?