Substitue for 2555 Jubilee - Vintage Modern?

• Thread starter Manton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manton

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forums here.

I am trying to get as close to this tone as I can with a budget:
YouTube - Joe Bonamassa Band @ Tangier, Pain And Sorrow - Part A

You can hear the general riff tone at around 2:30 and the solo tone at 5:30

Basically he is running two silver 1987 2555s and I can't afford one, so two is not gonna happen. Basically I'm looking for for a marshall that can create something similar. Something with plenty of lows, good saturated fat drive while still keeping the stratocaster sound. I have no idea of which amp to look at, I lack experience with marshalls. What is vital though is that it has a lead channel and that I can a good lead sound at low volumes. That is crucial.

Alright, I'm open for suggestions. I looked at the VM and it seemed pretty cool but basically I need some help :)

Thanks
/Sam

Vintager12

Reaction score
I think the jubilee sounds a little more vintage.
But for this it must be possible.

Manton

Reaction score
I probably will be running it through a 4x12 with v30s. Now I don't expect a perfect clone of the tone, just something similar :)

jcmjmp

Reaction score
a JCM800 2204/2003 with an SD-1 in front will get you there. The SD-1 will give you the extra top end and a bit of that fuzzy texture that the Jubilee has.

it won't be the same though.

Not sure about the VM - I don't have one.

Adwex

Reaction score
The Jubilee is a unique amp, with a unique design, it's gonna be tough to duplicate. That said, the closest I've heard once was an early 80's JMP.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
There's no substitute for a Jubilee, Jubilee is the Jubilee.
VM is a different beast, it may get you there, but won't be the same.
I used to have a 50 Watt VM head, didn't like it at all, but it's just me.

jorual

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

Jubilee and Vintage Modern are different heads.

The concept is similar but the tone is slightly different on VIntage Modern. KT66 sounds more modern and with some less mids than EL34 on Jubilees models.

You can get similar sounds but not the same.

Probably it will work for your expectations.

Manton

Reaction score
you are not from europe are you? I might sell my 2558 jubilee combo...

Yes I am but I'm not buying a new amp just yet.

Alright so I know I won't get a jubilee tone without a jubilee but which marshall would you recommend for a nice saturated fat(much low end) tone that could work well with a strat? If you listen to the clip, just think anything similar

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Almost true, Adwex.
You still need a boost/OD pedal to get close to the Jubilee tone.
I boosted my 1981 JMP 2204 with an old black Marshall The Guv'nor, I get 90% of Jubilee tone, but still it's missing "something".
That said, the closest I've heard once was an early 80's JMP.

Manton

Reaction score
I've looked at the ceriatone. Few things, it would be very expensive after shipping and taxes over to Sweden. I would need it to be 100w and it appears to be 50w. I'm not so keen on buying an amp I haven't tried.

Now guys, It's not that vital it sounds like a silver jubilee... Even me suggesting a vintage modern should reveal that I just want that *kind* of sound. It's not like I've extensively played a jubilee and need that specific one. I have a completely different amp now that's nothing like it and I'm almost satisfied with the tone.

My budget is around $1400.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Are you able to go to a music store and test a VM?
See if it has the tone you're looking for.
I heard lots and lots of good reviews about the VM, I guess you won't go wrong owning one.

Manton

Reaction score
I can not, but I'm currently looking if any store has one within a 1h drive range or so

Busher

Reaction score
I tried many amps to get the Jubilee sound and it was just a waste of money ,I only realized it after playing the real thing, if that's the sound you're after save your money and get a JUBILEE.

Manton

Reaction score
Yeah well thats not possible. :)
I'm turning 16 and can't really save what I don't have...

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
KT66 sounds more modern and with some less mids than EL34 on Jubilees models.

Technically speaking, KT66's were used prior to EL34's (switch from KT66 to EL34 was in 1966), so saying it gives a more "modern" sound isn't quite accurate as the KT66's are about as "vintage" as you're going to find on a Marshall amp (yes, I know 5881's were the VERY first ones used).

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, the VM would be a wonderful choice for you ... particularly since you play a Strat (the mid-boost feature on the VM was designed w/Strats in mind and works great!).

Manton

Reaction score
Is there any significant difference in sound between the 50 and 100 watt head except the volume?
The only marshall my local store has in is the jvm 210h and a single channeled from 87'

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
If you dig the vibe of the Jubilee, then I think you'd likely prefer the VM to the JVM. As for 100 v. 50w, unless you are playing stadiums, outside venues, or really need the additional clean headroom, then I'd go with the 50w if I were you. Really, trust me on the Strat/VM combination ... it's ridiculous. Unless I'm wearing ice skates to the ballpark here, I can't imagine you'd be anything less than thrilled.

For what it's worth, I own both a 50w VM as well as a Strat ... so I speak from experience on this.