• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Suggestions for Marshall CEO Jeremy Maillard From Us

• Thread starter ByrdmanFL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
This amp doesn't have too many Opamps - it has too many valves for a hybrid amp.

Thats the problem with this moronic "ALL VALVE" amp.

If i want a Valvestate, i buy one. I don't go out to buy a (not so) "All Valve" amp for one and a half to 2 grand.

The 3203 blows it away and doesn't say "All valve". It was clearly sold as hybrid without any need for alibi valves, which V2A/B is in the 900HGDR.

The 900HGDR was clearly marketed as "All valve", which is nothing short of a lie.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Hm, seems I was wrong; there's a 4100 still in production. Curious, what's the problem with them actually?
Besides the fact that the preamp is all transistor,
it doesn't even sound on par with earlier transistor Marshalls, like the 3210 or 3203, 5275 or even the Valvestate 8100, which has a refined 900DR frontend with 2 independant full 3band eq channels.

The amp has no body to it, no ass at all.
It's just too lean down there.

It doesn't clean up satisfyingly with the guitarvolume/tone.

The Reverb stinks.

The pots stink, atleast in the originals, dont know about the re-ishs.

Not everything is bad about it though, it is a fairly reliable amp with usually noiseless and seamless switching.

Ofcourse, maybe some thrash or metal players may like it. But play the same stuff on a more fully equipped with balls amp like a 2203 and the little 4100 rolls itself together on the floor like a beaten dog.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Besides the fact that the preamp is all transistor,
it doesn't even sound on par with earlier transistor Marshalls, like the 3210 or 3203, 5275 or even the Valvestate 8100, which has a refined 900DR frontend with 2 independant full 3band eq channels.

The amp has no body to it, no ass at all.
It's just too lean down there.

It doesn't clean up satisfyingly with the guitarvolume/tone.

The Reverb stinks.

The pots stink, atleast in the originals, dont know about the re-ishs.

Not everything is bad about it though, it is a fairly reliable amp with usually noiseless and seamless switching.

Ofcourse, maybe some thrash or metal players may like it. But play the same stuff on a more fully equipped with balls amp like a 2203 and the little 4100 rolls itself together on the floor like a beaten dog.
All that you say is mostly correct.
However it has nothing to do with the opamps or solid state.
It's just a bad design.
I have Bugera 1990i which is a replica of the 4100 but better designed.
That thing sounds amazing. and when you crank it, it shakes the walls.

The preamp is hybrid and first stages are opamps but passes thru valves before the EQ section and the fx loop.
IMO the 900 destroys the 8100 if you know how to set it properly and have EL34 in it.

Headache

Reaction score
Remake the mode four with more reliable power output and make the second amp sound better.

aberry9475

Reaction score
Have a Marshall Custom Shop. Partner with modern artists and create more/new high end signature amplifiers. Simple but well executed and hand built amps that are based on hot-rodded evolutions of the legendary amps that built the brand. The handwired series is cool but not nearly daring enough in what its offering when you can get a plexi clone from anybody, some significantly beating it on price, others significantly beating it on component quality, and many of both camps offering extended and useful features.

MoonKnighter

Reaction score
In fact ... a possible solution of this Custom Shop (or anyway of a similar department) would be to adapt the company's workhorses by equipping them with those mods that are very widespread and sought after and that are often nothing more than corrections of some "smudges" of the basic project. I have a JVM410h but I had it modded, with the addition of the choke, the slight reduction of the gain (no-squeal mod) and the rebalancing of the low frequencies (removing some "rubbery" bass) and giving back to the Power amp the punch typical of the JCM800 2203. With these Mods, for me the JVM410 has become an unparalleled "beast" ... I don't feel the need to look for a Peavey or a Soldano or anything else ....
Simply - IMHO - these mods should be made "standard" at the origin of production.

The same for other products like the DSL series (or at least take advantage of the criticisms and include them as standard).

Then, rethink the Origin series, once again from this perspective (in this case the changes would be minimal).

Finally, aim for solid state amplifiers (separating pre and power amp) in "floor"/pedal format but not digital, but with quality design and components, responding to the lazy young people (joking) who do not want to dirty their trendy t-shirt carrying a head and/or cabinet (ROFL).

C-Man

Reaction score
Why not split this up into two or three lines celebrating Marshalls history? As a vintage Marshall obsessionist, I can only dream of the following:

Line 1

I would recommend they expand the Handwired Series to celebrate more of Marshalls History from the 60s such as but not limited to doing things like:

(1) 1974X w/EC Pinstripe Cloth Stock
(2) 1974X w/Reverb & EC Pinstripe Cloth Stock
(3) 1962HW With EC Pinstripe Cloth Stock
(4) 1959SLP w/Proper Reproduction Script Logo
(5) Make More Vintage Correct Reissues of Early Marshalls More Available (JTM45, Majors, Super PAs, JTM45/100) (Marshall can even do it as a Collector Series or something like Fender and Gibson does with their guitars.)
(6) Release Handwired cabinets w/EC Collins Cloth Stock Or Proper Vynair Replicas (Tall 412A, etc.)
(7) Partner w/Celestion to Recreate the Marshall Version of the T652 Available for the Masses
(8) Partner w/Macari’s to release a proper Marshall Supa Fuzz Reissue.
(9) Invest in proper reproductions of Mullard Mustards (Look And Sound).
(10) Invest in proper reproductions of old transformers (Look And Sound).
(11) Invest in a proper reproduction of the Green/Black Levant
(12) Keep this line Handwired in the United Kingdom

My issue is the current reissues feel almost half done. So many other companies have built their names off just making clones of these Marshall designs, and given the success of those clones, I just do not understand why Marshall has not taken more advantage of their rich history by doing their amplifiers more justice. I would not have to look elsewhere in certain instances if Marshall did these things.

Line 2

For this line, I would recommend Marshall focus on making proper reissues of the 70s, 80s, and 90s Marshalls. Maybe what they can even do here is do a modified series, based off all the popular Marshall modifications, and possibly call it the Super Lead Custom or JCM800 Custom similar to what Fender does with the Custom Shop amps.

(1) JMP Models (Super Lead, Super Bass, etc.)
(2) JCM800
(3) Silver Jubilee
(4) JCM900
(5) DSL

Line 3

For this line, I would ask that Marshall continue the Studio Line by making affordable low wattage alternatives of great designs. My only issue with this line as is the aesthetics are off on some models.

One can dream!

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Honestly I think there's enough historic stuff already, they need to now put out some new stuff and show some innovation so that they can join some of the other amp brands that have become major players lately. Based on the video that was shared earlier it sounds like there will be something new revealed in January which will be really cool and then more stuff following that which he says is pretty awesome (at different price points too).