Super Strat neck/middle pickups...

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is a 80s SD and it lacks the spiky piercing highs that folks seem to complain about with the SDs. This on has plenty of balls, but with a smooth top end. It's not as aggressive as how the SD is usually described. It's a sweet pickup.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to rethink the body wood and finish now that I've given this more thought. I'm thinking about a swamp ash body with a white finish, cream p'ups and all black hardware? :hmm: to sister up with my white Tele...but I think I might have to eat my words and go with a black pickguard to look right with the cream pickups. ???

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to rethink the body wood and finish now that I've given this more thought. I'm thinking about a swamp ash body with a white finish, cream p'ups and all black hardware? :hmm: to sister up with my white Tele...but I think I might have to eat my words and go with a black pickguard to look right with the cream pickups. ???

Black pickguard with cream pickups? :erk:

Mint green or aged white pickguard!

So much class with that combo!

19216_Used_Custom_63_Telecaster_Relic_White_Blonde_R39965_1.jpg

GIBSON67

Reaction score
This is going to be a good thread, I like your Tele, and I can't wait to see your take on a Strat!

My 2 cents worth...I tried a bunch of humbucking SC's but I found out in the end that I just wanted the old Fender SC sound,
especially on the neck pup. I put a HB in the bridge and I am really happy with this set up. I don't play out, so the noise is never
too much for me. And the sounds are the sounds you know and love. If I want heavy, then I flip it to the bridge.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a good thread, I like your Tele, and I can't wait to see your take on a Strat!

My 2 cents worth...I tried a bunch of humbucking SC's but I found out in the end that I just wanted the old Fender SC sound,
especially on the neck pup. I put a HB in the bridge and I am really happy with this set up. I don't play out, so the noise is never
too much for me. And the sounds are the sounds you know and love. If I want heavy, then I flip it to the bridge.

Thanks, man! I've added switches since that pic was taken. It does just about anything you can imagine for switching with the exception of pickups out of phase. If I had it to do over the pickup selector (which was originally going to be the series/parallel switch until some mentioned the triple shot) would be a blade switch under the volumes, so this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started this one... I chalk it up to "live and learn". My Strat will have a regular strat switch.

Now I'm starting to think I might just make her a twin sister in strat form...

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Project's on hold. I've decided I'm going to build a long overdue GR '59 kit first. I don't know when I'll get back to this just yet. Thanks for all the help guys! I have a lot to think about. I'm just not ready to jump into this yet, I don't want to jump the gun screw it up. :yesway:

Latest posts