• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Surprised how scooped the current Marshall DSL is

MightyOwl

Reaction score
Comparing the DSL to the JCM 800 side by side, the DSL is very scooped. In this example I was using a JCM 800 2203 100 watt and a Marshall DSL 20HR. Obviously, these amps are vastly different in size. But using a Friedman Buxom boost's EQ knobs, I was able to boost the mids substantially and was able to get the DSL to sound very similar to the 800. I'm disappointed that Marshall didn't include more Tonal options with the front panel knobs. In practice, a better EQ section.

MightyOwl

Reaction score
I tried using the green channel on the DSL20 with a clean boost as well. Regardless, Marshall claims that the two channels on the 20 cover all the same ground as the 4 voices on the 40 and 100.

tincbtrar

Reaction score
I think modern tones lend more to scooped mids. I eventually sold my DSL40CR even though it was a beaut to look at and play thru. I always had to keep the mids above 7 which told me I was playing through the wrong amp for me.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparing the DSL to the JCM 800 side by side, the DSL is very scooped. In this example I was using a JCM 800 2203 100 watt and a Marshall DSL 20HR. Obviously, these amps are vastly different in size. But using a Friedman Buxom boost's EQ knobs, I was able to boost the mids substantially and was able to get the DSL to sound very similar to the 800. I'm disappointed that Marshall didn't include more Tonal options with the front panel knobs. In practice, a better EQ section.
EQ in the loop. :yesway:

Mystic38

Reaction score
EQ in the loop. :yesway:
this ^

Cant beat an eq in the loop to tone match amps.. and cant beat an eq before the amp to tone match guitars..

sadly our natural tendency is to invest in additional items of the two most expensive things we get rather than take the easy option..lol

mind you it would be less fun.................

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
sadly our natural tendency is to invest in additional items of the two most expensive things we get rather than take the easy option..lol

mind you it would be less fun.................
I don't buy an EQ in order to not buy more amps and guitars.
I don't front end EQ my guitars to make them sound the same.
I have 14 guitars because I like the difference.
But I do buy more EQ's for each amp I buy. :rofl:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
This is not meant to be a sarcastic response but the DSL is more of a modern amp compared to the JCM800 (DSL Ultra Gain channel). If one wants JCM800 tones, there's an amp for that :)

I think modern tones lend more to scooped mids. I eventually sold my DSL40CR even though it was a beaut to look at and play thru. I always had to keep the mids above 7 which told me I was playing through the wrong amp for me.
I'm curious why you would sell an amp just because you had to keep your mids above 7? Why was that a problem?

Last edited:

Latest posts