• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The death of the 4x12

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daddydeluxe

Reaction score
Paid $400 for a 2022 1960a 300w mint condition in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. Put it int he living room with a 2020 DSL100HR for $650 so under $1100 for a half stack...

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4

FrankD77

Reaction score
When a popular bands uses them they are back.
Also hear a lot of stories about bands starting with laptops and modellers now finding out that a tube amp is still a different beast.

Buy a few extra when people dump them.
It might be a great investment ;)

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
It was a good run but times have changed. They sound great and look even better for 'show' but it seems the desire to lug those back breakers around anymore is fading fast. How do you all feel about the current trajectory of amps and what do you think the future has in store for us guitar nerds?

Let the pontification commence..... :)
I do some Rosie work for a local AC/DC tribute band who I really like. One guitar player who primarily plays rhythm uses a Marshall half stack, the other guitarist uses a Kemper modeling amp and goes directly into the PA.

There are several issues I have discussed with them about this set up. The first is, there’s a big hole in their sound in front of the lead guitar plat. His leads sound great, but on rhythm you pretty much can’t tell he’s there. The other issue is when you are plugging directly into the PA you can only sound as good as the PA will allow. Anyone that spends time reading the conversations on this forum, should realize speakers and cab quality matters. I’ve told the lead guitar player, he is far to good to be beholden to whatever PA he is playing through on a given night.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, when the usual sound guy was gone and the band had a new guy set them up. I told the lead guitarist I would let him use one of my 4x12 cabs. The result was they want me to bring it again to the gig this weekend because they thought they sounded better. Of course, I’m going to bring it, but their usual sound guy is going to be pissed.

I’m 60 and we were playing through full stack at garage parties. I feel sorry for the guys who have never felt the power😃

Up The Steen

Reaction score
I do some Rosie work for a local AC/DC tribute band who I really like. One guitar player who primarily plays rhythm uses a Marshall half stack, the other guitarist uses a Kemper modeling amp and goes directly into the PA.

There are several issues I have discussed with them about this set up. The first is, there’s a big hole in their sound in front of the lead guitar plat. His leads sound great, but on rhythm you pretty much can’t tell he’s there. The other issue is when you are plugging directly into the PA you can only sound as good as the PA will allow. Anyone that spends time reading the conversations on this forum, should realize speakers and cab quality matters. I’ve told the lead guitar player, he is far to good to be beholden to whatever PA he is playing through on a given night.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, when the usual sound guy was gone and the band had a new guy set them up. I told the lead guitarist I would let him use one of my 4x12 cabs. The result was they want me to bring it again to the gig this weekend because they thought they sounded better. Of course, I’m going to bring it, but their usual sound guy is going to be pissed.

I’m 60 and we were playing through full stack at garage parties. I feel sorry for the guys who have never felt the power😃
An AC/DC tribute band that doesn't use a real amp?

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
There are clubs/venues where I live that will turn you around at the door if they see you rolling in a 4x12 (see point 1 for why) I have seen it happen.
We do use Marshall DSL40CR 1X12 combos for "those" places.
Checked them with a Db meter.
LoL way louder that the 4X12 cabs were. I hope the venues are happy now.
Elliot Twist isn't a dance band or a wedding band. Most venues know that and don't mind the 4X12.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
Totally agree. A 2X12 Slant with a head looks very similar to their older bigger brother. It's a good choice with many options available from the modestly priced Origin slant to the more expensive versions.

Yes a Vertical 2X12 is a good choice.
This is what we use for our rehearsal room.
Marshall DSL40CR and Marshall 1966A Vertical 2X12
Mesa Boogie Mark Five head and Meas Boogie Vertical 2X12
EVH 5150III head and Harley Benton V30 Vertical 2X12

Mesa Boogie MKV Head with 2x12 cab and Marshall DSL40CR with 1966A  2X12 cab.jpg
EVH 5150III head and Harley Benton V30 Vertical 2X12 (Copy).jpg