The end of G.A.S. - is it possible?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I think if I got a Mesa Mark IV OR V, I'd be done with amp GAS...as far as guitars, maybe another Tele (with P90s) and a ES 335 would cure the guitar part.

Pedals... That can change so much that if you use them, you'll probably never be able to stop.

I bought a V in 2009, and it definitely curbed my amp urges for a couple of years. However, the one thing that it doesn't do is Marshall-the midrange is voiced lower, so I could get it close, but never to what I was really after for that one particular thing. Enter the Stiletto Deuce II... Instant Judas Priest... :applause:

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a V in 2009, and it definitely curbed my amp urges for a couple of years. However, the one thing that it doesn't do is Marshall-the midrange is voiced lower, so I could get it close, but never to what I was really after for that one particular thing. Enter the Stiletto Duece II... Instant Judas Priest... :applause:

That was my beef with the Recto's I had (four). They sound unbelievable for downtuned metal and all that, but I could never get them sounding good live on stages. Clubs were the worst. Couldn't turn them up past maybe 2 on the master, if that. Marshall would do well to learn from Mesa's build quality. Nothing like it in commercial production amps as far as I'm concerned.

dsn716

Reaction score
"Gear Acquisition Syndrome"

What would it take to cure the disease for you? Would there be a specific list or is it just endless desires and impulse buys? I'd like to think there's an end, maybe this list would be a good generalization in my own case:

-One of every iconic Marshall amp ever made.
-One of every iconic Fender amp ever made.
-One of every iconic Gibson guitar ever made.
-One of every iconic Fender guitar ever made.
-One of every Martin guitar ever made.
-A collection of significant PRS's.
-A bunch of shitty experimental guitars and amps.

It would have to be the kind of acquisition that keeps me from ever going to the guitar stores again, except for picks and strings.

G.A.S. is incurable. Once you have it, you have it until you die. And, for those of us who are married to a woman who just doesn't get it, it may just be what kills us one day.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm becoming more and more convinced that this business of wives hating their husbands gear is more due to the notion that husbands don't share the experience with their wives. What wife in her right mind (yeah guys, I know), would NOT want to see her husband be happy? Many of you need to find ways to include her in your joy so that she can share it with you. Hiding your gear is a very dishonest thing to do.

dsn716

Reaction score
I'm becoming more and more convinced that this business of wives hating their husbands gear is more due to the notion that husbands don't share the experience with their wives. What wife in her right mind (yeah guys, I know), would NOT want to see her husband be happy? Many of you need to find ways to include her in your joy so that she can share it with you. Hiding your gear is a very dishonest thing to do.

That's the problem Vin, I don't hide it. And every time I buy something new, I get yelled at because "our living room keeps looking more and more like an F'n Guitar Center"... or so she says.
Basement is in the middle of a prolonged remodel, so all my gear has been upstairs for almost a year now. I see her point, but I can't stop... I keep buying stuff... I need help Vin!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
"Gear Acquisition Syndrome"

What would it take to cure the disease for you? .

Atomic_Explosion_GIf_by_merovech1.jpg

3-Simple-Shaped-Walnut-Casket.jpg

even that would have to be modded to fit a Les Paul in there with me.:lol:

there's always something,whether it be more mics or studio outboard gear,etc.etc.
free vst's & vsti's work sometimes when I just need something new to play with or test out for a while.

poeman33

Reaction score
There is no cure. Not even death. My ashes will still be checking out the MF and Kijiji daily.
No money means I don't buy anything, but I always want stuff

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Ya know, I think it's tragic that Marshall won't rebuild many great amps from the past, Like the 6100, Silver Jubilee, JCM 800 2205/2210, and one heck a of a lot of other amps including the combos. I just hate to see all this great history going to waste while they struggle to breathe with these Vietnam amps and limited edition mini's and whatever. Dump the whole current product line and get back to making what we've all know was your best gear. Forget "retro", just do it. All these manufacturers carry on about the cost of re-tooling and the expense of recreating the old amps and whatall - I call bullshit. They have to "re-tool" everytime they develop a new amp anyway, so what's the difference? You think it'd be easier to just resurrect the old models. And it is.

:cool:
There are MANY, ('Men-ee: A LOT of.), of us JMD1 users (most of which also own or owned Vintage Marshalls) that would VERY STRONGLY disagree with you on this "Vietnam" issue.

Most of us EAGERLY await a new "JMD" type 2nd generation with the news that Marshall has recently rejoined with Softube.

And we really don't CARE where it's made if it sounds even close to as good as the Original.

Keep the Old ones, but move ahead with the new.

:cool::cool: TWIN

gunboatstudio

Reaction score
+1 to everyone who says there is no end. The GAS is always greener on the other side? IDK... Whatever we think will cure us is just a temporary respite. It'll be back.

Count yourself lucky for what you have, and accept that GAS is a permanent part of your love of music.

Don't let the GAS take you beyond your means. And writing/playing a new love song for the wife every now and then goes along way towards their accepting any new toys that might join the family.

And GAS is especially bad for those of us who play several other instruments. Once I've got a full family of amps and guitars, I still need a Hammond B3, vintage Ludwig's, a Rickenbacker bass, and expensive microphones to point at them!