The "Good ole' Days"

• Thread starter SeanMichael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
So I got to thinkin, and this is thinking i've done many times before, but Im thinkin I wish I grew up when my dad did... My dad was born in 1950, and from what he tells me, times were kick-ass back then. It was so much easier to have "fun". He grew up in southern california, and from all the stories he tells me, it just sounds like the best way to grow up. I mean, his home life sucked, but he still had fun with his life. He had run away from home 3 times by the time he was 14. When he was 16 he got all the way to Wyoming! He got a job as a dishwasher at a local restauraunt, and became best buds with the chef, got free food and all that jazz. I mean, he says he was a typical "greaser" for the times.

All Im getting at, is that it sounds like it was a much "easier" time to grow up and be a kid in.

Any good stories?

Wiseblood

Reaction score
I'm with you! I missed all that shit myself, born too late.

But Id choose to live back then in a second. A second!

I hate the modern world, its so false, and nothing but distractions.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I'm your dad's age (59) and I would love for it to be 1965 again. The USA rocked. Life was good and everyone enjoyed their leisure time. Jobs were everywhere. You didn't need a college education to bring home good money.

I was 11 in 1965. It was fantastic.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
life is what you make it,no matter the era.
it was pretty damn hard for kids on the wagon trail w/ injuns around too. they just didn't whine about it on the internet or sue someone over their made-up hardships.

then there were kids in the depression.

etc,etc,...

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Back in the old days, people used to talk to each other... Nowadays people are glued to their smart phones so it's really hard to strike a conversation with a random stranger. I do miss the simplier times.

Its hard to strike up a conversation with someone who is visiting you in your own home due to the same smartproblem you mentioned above. Lol

Seriously happens all the time.

Why technology becomes more important than humans.

1) text
2) email
3) social media
In person

Then there are those same people who get mad when you call them or don't pickup the phone. 'Why didn't you text me?' Lol **** off I say lol

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the good old days, and I agree.

They were good.

What a shame society has turned into such a mess...

Nairbr

Reaction score
I was born in 1958 and the youngest of 4, being a kid in the '60s was awesome. For me the best part was the music and growing up near the beach, nobody locked their house and everybody knew everyone else, jobs were abundant and housing was affordable.
There are few things I will always be thankful of my older brother who took me to see
Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Santana in 1972, as a pimply faced 14 year old that was the best musical education ever.

JimiRules

Reaction score
I would have loved to have grown up during the 60's. It would have been awesome to experience The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Jimi, Cream, The Doors, Led Zeppelin when they were new. I have to admit though, I'm happy to have been around for the Grunge era. For me it was probably the best era for music since the '60s.

Last edited:

Crawford354

Reaction score
I mean besides the music aspect, everything in the school system is based on grades and it's so much harder to find a job because everything is so competitive. I was looking at schools the other day, and at Colleges that are really hard to get into, a majority of the students are from China or India, because they outperformed us, so since we're competing on a much more global scale, then it just makes it all the harder to get a job.

As far as music, if I had been alive back then I probably would have been going to concerts about twice a month. I think it's cool that you would have like 5 good records drop back then and nowadays we're lucky to get one in like 5 years! (RHCP's I'm with you, AC/DC's black ice, some others). Like in 1978 alone you had The Cars, Van Halen, The Police with Outlandos de amor, The Clash with Give em enough rope and several others.

33KHD

Reaction score
I was a teen in the 80's. I had a lot of fun but I think in some ways being a teen in the 70's would have been cool too. Better music, better cars....

Rush and Max Webster were playing in High School's back then. That would have been cool to see.

4STICKS

Reaction score
Your an old soul...you are wise beyond you years my friend! I was born in '67 and that was way too late. I was too young in the 70s to get it and I hated the 80's where I was a teen! :mad:

I was born in '67 also, but I had a blast in the 80's. Mostly because I had a kickass band and we played classic rock for the most part.:hbang:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I spent my teen years late 70's - early 80's and loved the music I grew up with, and everything before and after. College was affordable then too, I have no idea how I'm gonna get 3 boys through college today...

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a lotta good sh8T about the 60s . Life under the watchful eye of mom & dad was great ...like Leave It To Beaver . My dad went to work , Mom worked in the home til I started school.We ate steaks ,went campin' Took long ass auto trips across the USA

Beatles, Sly,CCR ,Jimi , OTIS

There was also bullsh*t like segregation , a heavy theme to lay on a preschooler...I aint forgot it
Assassinations
There was a super fckd up war on TV every night where young people ,not yet old enough to vote their own destiny were gettin their heads blown off ....

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I'm another old soul...I would have killed to see Cream's first US tour or LZ's etc...or stored away a few LPs, Marshalls and Strats...

poeman33

Reaction score
I was born in Edmonton in '59. The biggest different to me now is safety. By the time I was in my twenties, it was getting dangerous and crime was getting rampant. The innocence of my youth was gone. I had to get out of the city, and have never gone back, and never could.

That is what I miss the most. You can't let your kids walk to school on their own anymore. You can't let them out in the playground by themselves and not give it a second thought. Hell...you can't even send them to school with a peanut butter sandwich anymore!

I could get on my bike, pedal for a few hours, and go camping when I was still in Junior High shool. No one ever thought anything about it. Besides the fact that it is now endless city...it's not safe. The skies were full of ducks, and the fields were plentiful with pheasants...despite the fact that they now say pheasants can't live in Edmonton because of the climate. Tell that to my grandfather and his champion spaniels...

I do like some modern things though. I do like the internet. I way overpaid for almost all of my gear. We didn't know any better. I could have compared prices. And if you are having a hard time on part of a song...you don't have to wreck your album by putting the needle over the same spot over and over. You just go to google and click in " how to play..." So there are some improvements. Besides, I never would have most any of you lugs without the internet. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :hmm: