The Great Debate: 50 watt vs. 100 watt

• Thread starter Eag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pleximan

Reaction score
You'd still bury them but the difference into a similar speaker setup would be only barely discernible. Many people don't realize that the lowest perceived volume increase that the average human ear can detect requires a doubling of power. That means a healthy Marshall 2203 is only barely louder than a healthy Marshall 2204 into the same speakers. It's amazing how many people think a 100 watt amp is twice as loud as a 50 watt amp.
Agreed.... The 100 is only a little louder, but sounds killer to me....I like my 50 watter's too, but they are all loud at the volumes I play at....Every guitarist should own both...

ToneWarrior

Reaction score
I hate to bring this old thread up but I did a search on this subject but it didn't answer the question I have.

If you have two of the same amps only one is 50 watts and the other is 100 watts how different will they sound as far as tone? I assume the 50 watt amps have lower valued resistors and capacitors and that has to have some effect on tone. I couldn't take a 50 watt board and install it in a 100 watt amp without changing things correct?

The reason I'm asking is I'm about to buy a 100 watt Plexi that absolutely nails the Brown Sound but I'm also considering the 50 watt version but I'm afraid it won't have the same tone.

Jammers5

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is I'm about to buy a 100 watt Plexi that absolutely nails the Brown Sound but I'm also considering the 50 watt version but I'm afraid it won't have the same tone.

And very likey NOT to have the same tone. you should try em both to make sure.....I've owned two DSL50's (not at the same time) but they sounds very different to my ears.

If you can't try the 50w to compare just buy the one you like!

J5

danman

Reaction score
The boards and component values for both 50 watt (2204/1987) and the 100 watters (2203/1959) are almost identical. Basically the only difference is some resistor values in the bias section because both amps use a completely different transformer and power supply setup.

Edit: I am referring only to the older JMP/JCM amps. I haven't looked to deeply into the differences between boards on the newer amps.

Joe L

Reaction score
About an hour on a bicycle north of Lake Pontchatr
A player and a tech here since '72. I've played both and have settled on a preference for 100 watt output transformers with only two power tubes. I find that to be the best compromise for tone and volume/headroom. I just relabel the impedance switch to match the correct load to my power tubes.

..Joe L

dreyn77

Reaction score
Well, as predicted this thread is/was never going to be the right title. It is THE GREAT 'LOOK A THON'!
It doesn't matter that people don't talk because guitar playing is only a hobby these days.
(Thats the fault of the on lookers who have no education about community manners)

50? 100? nah! tone is illusion. mirrage.
If you're not going to set the dials correctly there is no point in worry about any of the tones that apply to guitar products. :)
Don't worry bout what sound 50/100 watts makes or what sound pickups make or speakers etc... You're lost! keep that in mind!
At the end of the day it's all just a bit of fun for you at home.
So technickly speaking the sound is only the guitar, and any amp makeest dee guitar sound.

But you can use it any whay vu like! ;)

trobdcso

Reaction score
I own both. I like 100w amp heads just a little bit more. More bottom end uuuummmmppphhh.

zachman

Reaction score
Well, as predicted this thread is/was never going to be the right title. It is THE GREAT 'LOOK A THON'!
It doesn't matter that people don't talk because guitar playing is only a hobby these days.
(Thats the fault of the on lookers who have no education about community manners)

50? 100? nah! tone is illusion. mirrage.
If you're not going to set the dials correctly there is no point in worry about any of the tones that apply to guitar products. :)
Don't worry bout what sound 50/100 watts makes or what sound pickups make or speakers etc... You're lost! keep that in mind!
At the end of the day it's all just a bit of fun for you at home.
So technickly speaking the sound is only the guitar, and any amp makeest dee guitar sound.

But you can use it any whay vu like! ;)

Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif
3120695765_no_not_rly001_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

0f22d0c248cce245a4b546cae15a5cc6f2637682ac27876fe6f8d51f6859ec95.jpg

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
It is my understanding that for my type of music, Stoner/Sludge/DOOM, the 100Watters are better, because they use much bigger out put trannies, and they are the ones responsible for that massive bottom-end rumble, that the smaller 50W trannies can't match.

. . . is it true ?

Anyone ?

James

I think it's more dependent on how much air the transformer is able to push via the speakers. That massive bottom end is the result of the cones moving a long distance relative to higher tones. A 50 can do it as well as a 100 so long as the speakers are suitable. 4x12's move more air than 1x12's and both amps will handle it. The actual db difference is slight, but our music is meant to be felt as much as it's meant to be heard. -Rod-

EL 34

Reaction score
when i'm playing at band rehearsal or decent volumes the 50W breaks up too easily. the 100W keeps things clean and with more authority/headroom.

playing in the house at practice levels, either one is just as good.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i like many wattages it just depends on the circuit and application. but i have a 20 watter that does metal really well due to design so it just depends really.

growboxguy

Reaction score
Owned many 100 and 50 watt heads, playing small to large outdoor gigs. I have settled on a 50 watt Jubilee and will never go back to 100 watts.

Werewolf913

Reaction score
I would concur that the 100 watt amps are much more beefy and give more oomph and rumble. To me a 50 watt amp sounds less raw and more refined, kinda like the sound you hear on an album. To me, more lean, mean and sculpted. In fact, just today I got a JVM 50 watt head.

FYI, my main instrument is bass. As a tenured bassist, over the years it has sometimes been a struggle to find my space in the sonic spectrum against the 100 watt guitar amps through a 4x12 cab. In small clubs, the resulting stage volume can get outta hand. Like Godzilla vs King Kong outta hand. Not always a bad thing. The euphoric sensation of all that volume and air pumping on stage (mixed with Jäger or whatever your preferred beverage) can give quite a high! I've been gigging for nearly 20 yrs now, and anymore I just want to hear myself clearly without putting my head in a fog. That's why as a guitar player I am going with 50 watt amps at the moment. That being said, I still want to get a 100 watt just to have it. So like others have already said, both is good too.

supershifter2

Reaction score
just get 2 of the same 50 watt amps. if you only want 50 use one 50. if you want a 100 use two 50 watters. this way you have a 50/50 chance of doing it either way of course theres only a 20% chance you will.