the great MARSHALL shootout!!!

• Thread starter big dooley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

which of the 4 amps do you like?

• no doubt, the first one!

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • the second amp was awesome!

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • the third amp ruled!

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • the fourth amp was simply the best!

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poeman33

Reaction score
I thought number two might be a DSL, but obviously I was wrong. I'm thinking it's the JVM now...and will probably be proved wrong
this is such a great post. Thanks a ton Big Dooley for taking the time to do this!

Bieling3

Reaction score
Oh that makes it too easy...

#1 Is the JVM
#2 is the Valvestate
#3 is the JCM800 2210
#4 is the JCM900 DR

3 and 4 are very similar in the recording which logically makes sense because the 2210 has diode clipping and is the precurser of the Dual Reverb which has it as well. Almost everyone noted that number two (heh heh) sounded a little thin and weak, which points to the Valvestate. #1, the one I liked best, is the JVM, with the all tube path you can hear in the presence and with that touch of feedback building at the end.

Of course its going to turn out completely different and I'll look like a fool...

Ken

Reaction score
Okay!!

I guess:

#1 - Valvestate
#2 900
#3 JVM
#4 800

And if I'm not 100% right switch around #3 and #4.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't take it too much to heart if I'm 100% wrong, because each amp has its own sweet spot on the EQ, especially the 900. By setting all the same, it might be a lot closer to that spot on one amp than the others. As a 900 detracter, I still know it can sound great if tweaked appropriately just like my DSL (for example) can sound not so hot with certain settings.

Ken

Bieling3

Reaction score
I could well be wrong on the rest but I can't believe that #2 is anything other than a Valvestate given the choices... if a 900 or any other amp with a tube power section sounds like that:eek2:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
the speculations are even more fun... :)
everyone has his/hers own expectations of how certain models would sound at those EQ-settings... and then try to ventilate why they think it is, like the way they think it is...
awesome... i'll be doing this again for sure...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Okay!!

I guess:

#1 - Valvestate
#2 900
#3 JVM
#4 800

And if I'm not 100% right switch around #3 and #4.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't take it too much to heart if I'm 100% wrong, because each amp has its own sweet spot on the EQ, especially the 900. By setting all the same, it might be a lot closer to that spot on one amp than the others. As a 900 detracter, I still know it can sound great if tweaked appropriately just like my DSL (for example) can sound not so hot with certain settings.

Ken

And I guess:

#1 JCM 800 2210
#2 Valvestate VS100
#3 JVM 410h
#4 JCM 900 4100DR

And if I'm not 100% right switch around #1 and #4.

Last edited:

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
i guess three weeks will be too long for you guys....:lol:

ok i'll tell... but i won't tell which amp is which... as this could make further votes being biased...

of course my JVM 410H takes part in this poll... it's on crunch red...
another amp was my bandmates JCM800 2210 which is on the boostchannel
then there is a JCM900 DR combo in our rehearsalroom i just had to try out... the internal speakers weren't used... it's on channel B, by the way
and finally i had my little valvestate VS100 combo in there as well... again the internal speaker wasn't used... it's on the overdrive 2 channel

all amps are rated at 100 watt...

happy guessing... :)

And can you also tell us the right order in a few days? :fingersx:

Ken

Reaction score
Just a huge thanks to B. Dooley for doing this! I'm enjoying guessing and reading other people's guesses. I find it interesting what clips people sound similar: I thought #3 and 4 were a JVM/800 or flipped, while Les thought the 800 and 900 would sound the most similar. Others had other pairings. I hope in the future a DSL, TSL and VM can be in the mix!

Ken

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a huge thanks to B. Dooley for doing this! I'm enjoying guessing and reading other people's guesses. I find it interesting what clips people sound similar: I thought #3 and 4 were a JVM/800 or flipped, while Les thought the 800 and 900 would sound the most similar. Others had other pairings. I hope in the future a DSL, TSL and VM can be in the mix!

Ken

yeah and the SLX, the 2203/2204, even the MA or the haze... what the hell... why not an MG?
and lets not forget the 6100 and the jubilee... non mastervolume amps can be tricky as they have to be set very loud... an attenuator could come in handy :)

kebek

Reaction score
My guess...

1 = JVM
2 = Valvestate
3 = 2210
4 = JCM 900