The Marshall Amp that gets no respect (but SHOULD)

• Thread starter alvagoldbook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I don't mind the 900 series but there are so many "better" choices out there. 99% of 900 users that try something else like an 800 or JMP prefer those over the 900.

... and DSL's ROCK!

Jason77

Reaction score
I don't mind the 900 series but there are so many "better" choices out there. 99% of 900 users that try something else like an 800 or JMP prefer those over the 900.

... and DSL's ROCK!

That's how i ended up with one 900 and now two DSL's. :naughty:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
From TWIN :):)

The coefficient of drag is .98. This is equal to a Cessna 172. The lift ratio is 1.5 to 1. This is in the area of some of the best gliders. These specifications make the 900DR's some of the best high flying amps any where in the world. When combined with a professional catapult, a 900DR is good for over 300 yards. They got the nickname of the "duck," because of their high flying abilities. If you want an amp that will really fly, get a 900DR.

Thanks, TWIN :):)

medicjg

Reaction score

... and DSL's ROCK!
I guess im the 1% I have 2 800s and 2 900s and they all have there own individual charm. Granted the DR stock I would have been with the other 99%. If I took the value and investment portion out of it. The mkIII is hard to beat because you can get classic 800 type tones then dial in the sensitivity and you get in the ball park of a 2205. Plus a loop.

Username2

Reaction score
Marshall JMD1. The amp can do amazing tones and is the most versitile Marshall yet. Run the 100 watt head through a 4x12 of Vin30s and it smokes. Lot of big name players are starting to use it. The latestest being Mick Box.

Here he is with the JMD1 a couple night ago.

Nice solo work at 3:18
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fSJT9Iv9R4]URIAH HEEP London 2011 "GYPSY" AWESOME FOOTAGE (2nd part) - YouTube[/ame]

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like DSL's okay. Their clean channel blows the JCM 900 away. But their distortion is crap, I'm sorry. It's overly scooped. Lifeless. Ball-less. Crappy.

LOL what?!

You must have been playing a very sick DSL.
Mine will practically rip your ears off with treble and mids. It's anything but scooped, ball less, and lifeless.

trobdcso

Reaction score
LOL what?!

You must have been playing a very sick DSL.
Mine will practically rip your ears off with treble and mids. It's anything but scooped, ball less, and lifeless.

Mark is right. The "2" DSL's I have are NOT scooped. In fact both of my DSL's are stock, and they both sound fucking awesome, and they both have majors balls. Oh, and another thing...they are louder than fuck.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
4500 >4100
If u drive the pre amp on the A channel on a 4500 u can get good tone to match it with any Marshall. the trick is drive that baby hard and u can get results and then u have the B channel as well =) awesome amp dont know why peeps snub it. For volume reasons this amp replaced my 800.

and stick a patch lead in fx loop if u aint usin it

Username2

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like DSL's okay. Their clean channel blows the JCM 900 away. But their distortion is crap, I'm sorry. It's overly scooped. Lifeless. Ball-less. Crappy. And the TSL's, don't get me started. My band's rhythm guitarist had three of them, and every time their footswitch broke, there was a delay in channel switching (unlike the mighty 6100!), and every single one of those 3 amps broke.

No amp in the world rocked more than the 4100. Not even a Mesa or the lead channel on the 6100 (which is pretty bad ass) could hold a candle to the brutality of the 4100's "channel B".

Dude you just made the shitlist of hundreds on this forum, thou speaketh rath against the almighty DSL.:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo]DSL and the Marshall Forum - YouTube[/ame]

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
What do you mean by pristine? How many miles on this 4100 of yours? I have a 6100 I'll trade ya for it. I'd prefer a 4500 though. No sense in wasting money on extra tubes. Plus those amps didn't come alive until you cranked the master up to about 5 or 6, and I'd like to save my ears.

You have Got to be Fucking Joking. Wait a minute, I'll go buy one of those 900's on fleabay for $350 or so and I will GLADLY trade it for your 6100.

:lol::lol: TWIN

Hayride13

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like DSL's okay. Their clean channel blows the JCM 900 away. But their distortion is crap, I'm sorry. It's overly scooped. Lifeless. Ball-less. Crappy. And the TSL's, don't get me started. My band's rhythm guitarist had three of them, and every time their footswitch broke, there was a delay in channel switching (unlike the mighty 6100!), and every single one of those 3 amps broke.

No amp in the world rocked more than the 4100. Not even a Mesa or the lead channel on the 6100 (which is pretty bad ass) could hold a candle to the brutality of the 4100's "channel B".

You have got to be kidding me...

I've had three 4100's and still have one to this day. I love the thing and will never let go of it. It has never let me down.

However, I primarily gig a TSL these days and I have A/B'ed the 4100 and TSL side by side. I know tone is subjective but your comment baffles me. You got it right that the TSL clean is better that the 4100 and I do carry a back-up TSL footswitch. But, although the B channel on the 4100 rocks, the Crunch channel on a TSL just adds another bad ass nut.

Did your rhythm guitarist only dial his own settings or did you ever play through the things? I'm with you that 4100's rock. But there is no way that the TSL distortion is crap in comparison. Park them side by side and A/B them yourself and get back with a valid comparison...

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
icon_lol.gif

That video was AWESOME!

alvagoldbook

Reaction score

... and DSL's ROCK!

And 99% of players are clueless clones who listen to crappy music like Van Helen.

Between me and my rhythm guitarist (he's rhythm for a reason), I have used, rented, or owned 800's, Jubilee reissues, 900's, 6100's, DSLs, TSLs, and JVM's extensively in my band. I would set a 800 on fire before using one. Hell, I'd use a Fender Hot Rod Deville to play metal before I'd use a 800. What craptastic amps. They sound like someone tied claw hammers to the feet of elephants, and had a heard prance around in a garage full of crappy broken cymbals thrown all over the floor. What POS's, I swear.

The one Marshall I never got around to owning was the JCM 900 dual verb. They were always around and I took them for granted. I figured I'd be the cool kid and get a 6100. Besides, my retarded ass rhythm guitarist got a TSL, so the lead guitarist had to have 3 channels too. What a mistake. I love my 6100, but I long so much for the sound of a dual verb that it makes me cry.

Too bad I'm too broke to pony up the 500 bucks to buy one. :::sigh:::

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
There's a thread on the forum that will link you up to an EBAY auction for a 4100DR. The seller claims it is new in box. He want $1815 for it.

laugher.gif
laugher.gif
laugher.gif

Latest posts