The MarshallForum Guide to Marshall Amps

• Thread starter Guv'nor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Reaction score
This is a great thread but, I would love to see people add to it with the MG series, Class5 Stuff, new imported DSL stuff, the valvestate amps which seem to have come and went (I felt they had a nice tone!), 50th aniversary single watters, etc. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and, I'm just trying to make a positive suggestion. I feel this sticky could be updated. Maybe some of the wiser mods can discuss this among themselves and, decide on it. JAC

Bloozking

Reaction score
I have a 1979 JMP MK2 Master Model 100W Lead Head in pretty good shape. Just had the pots cleaned and the bias's set. Any idea how much it is worth? Thanks.

slash always

Reaction score
:wave: hallo to everybody!! i have a marshall el34 50/50 and for preamp i have a vox tonelab station. is it good or with some else preamp it's better???:slash:

b2d3yq

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering why there is no button on the Ynjvie Malmsteen amp head to change the values in the send and return fx loop. Ex.. - 10 for stompboxes and + 4 for rack units and processors. I am running a Eventide Time Factor delay unit in the fx loop and get a little bit of hum whenever the fx loop is engaged. Thank You.

SGTGuitar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a newby to the forum. I am by no means a collector or an expert, but I have been playing for over 40 years and have some pretty cool gear. I have this old Marshall Tremolo 50 that I purchased in a pawn shop in 1981 and would like to learn more about it. It has the old "wicker" basket tube restraints and looked pretty old when I bought it. I've been using it live through a 4X12 top cab that I purchased new around the same time. I have played this rig live and in the studio for all these years and it sounds awesome, but I really don't know anything about it.
Serial Number is T/A 6127A.
How can I find out more specifics?

vintmodJCM

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a newby to the forum. I am by no means a collector or an expert, but I have been playing for over 40 years and have some pretty cool gear. I have this old Marshall Tremolo 50 that I purchased in a pawn shop in 1981 and would like to learn more about it. It has the old "wicker" basket tube restraints and looked pretty old when I bought it. I've been using it live through a 4X12 top cab that I purchased new around the same time. I have played this rig live and in the studio for all these years and it sounds awesome, but I really don't know anything about it.
Serial Number is T/A 6127A.
How can I find out more specifics?

Here are some links that might help.

Amp Archives/Marshall/50 Watt Series 1966-1981/1987T Lead Tremolo 50W

The Vintage Marshall Guide

Also, try searching topics in this forum. :cool:

SGTGuitar

Reaction score
Thanks,
So, it appears to be a Plexi head, a Tremolo 50 made in '69 or '70. I am considering selling it, but would like to maximize the selling condition, matching knobs, etc.

vintmodJCM

Reaction score
Thanks,
So, it appears to be a Plexi head, a Tremolo 50 made in '69 or '70. I am considering selling it, but would like to maximize the selling condition, matching knobs, etc.

You've got a special amp there! It was a 70's Super Tremolo that Tim Caswell turned into the legendary Guns 'n' Roses AFD amp head. Besides eBay, you can compare prices of other vintage Marshalls at gbase.com :cool:

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:D I SILL take exception to this list. The JMD1 is everybit as much a REAL Marshall as a '67 Plexi.

I know this for FACT. I have owned BOTH. Still wish I had the Plexi to pair up with the JMD1 *sigh*.

:cool::cool: TWIN

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Twin - It is an old list. Mainly covers vintage stuff. Doesn't contain any of the newer amps released in the past few years. I also didn't see mention of many of the Artiste solo amps...

Maybe we should make a new list?

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Twin - It is an old list. Mainly covers vintage stuff. Doesn't contain any of the newer amps released in the past few years. I also didn't see mention of many of the Artiste solo amps...

Maybe we should make a new list?

:D Micky I bitched about it when the thread was fairly new too....

:lol::lol: TWIN

Static

Reaction score
I am so pleased I bought a new JVM210Hjs, Having previously had the 410H the Satch model is tighter, better sustain, more grit and no noise.
My previous new 410H went back to Marshall 2 times. I'm hoping this time I'm trouble free....

Static

Reaction score
That should have read JVM410Hjs (Satch head) my previous amp was a Marshall JVM210H that went back to Marshall factory 2 times. Sorry for the mess up.

Static

Reaction score
I used to have the old Marshalls dating back to the early 70s including the 800s, Silver Jubilee and a rack with the JMP1 and 50/50 Monoblock power amp. Frankly none of those old amps can touch the JVMs. Simply put, you have to really crank those old buggers to get a decent sound and by that time you'd get fired out of the band. I recently bought a new JVM 50 head and it didn't have enough puff (volume) The shop were very helpful and I paid the extra to get the JVM210H 100 head fantastic but hold on......On the 3rd gig the amp went dead, the valves were still lit footswitch worked but no sound. The shop sent it back to Marshall factory and a week later I got it back. They said blown HT fuse and the put in 4 EL34s. Blow me down 2 weeks later the amp is getting quieter and breaking up sounding like a distortion box with a dead battery. I didn't want that same amp back and stumped up the extra £150 for the JVM 410Hjs, now i'm f***** cooking. Each time I had to take the amp into the local dealer and collect it when it was so called fixed and not once from the dealer or Marshall did I get an apology. I highly recommend the Satch head so far and as long as I don't encounter any nasty faults. This amp really bites, I just reloaded my little AVT Marshall 4x12 with a pair of V30s and a pair of Eminence Wizards. With master vol on 10 o clock this thing is monstrous through this reworked cab. Space is an issue in my car hence the smaller 4x12 cab. it did add another 25% to the wait though. I wished the Marshall JVM footswitch channel lights in the top R/H corner were spaced much further apart. You really have to concentrate and focus before wondering which channel you're on. That is my only criticism otherwise simply an amazing amp. You really have to gig it, trying it out in a shop is like test driving a Ferrari in 1st gear around a car park. I do welcome all your thoughts guys.

Brown Sound

Reaction score
Good article! Even I learned something and I have owned and still do own a variety of models from different eras from 60's to 90's. Well done and keep listening to rock and the blues!
PS my band is on youtube and myspace,

Jason North Blues Band

So many to choose from. Marshall amps are the best. Like Martin guitars, they seem to vary at times. When looking around, play as many as you can and when yours comes along you will know after you hit that first G chord. Love all of my Marshalls except my DSL401 which has become a 10 year love hate relationship.
Bridge rectifier, crazy swells, to many options on bias, speaker jacks.cold solider joints.and last but not least OVERHEATING!! When the dsl is on, it is a monster
and it achieves that elusive BROWN SOUND and then sadly it leaves as quickly as arrives. I guess quality control left the building on this model. I still love Marshall always Peace it is cool to join you guys

old lefty

Reaction score
walked into guitar center today saw a marshall head siittng on the floor in the vintage amp section no price on it ft panel is gold anodized aluminum has jmp on bottom left, 1 bass,mid ,treble, master volume on the back it says in cursive marshall font master model mk2 made by jim marshall products england 50 watt serial #095891 asked at the counter what the price was they said $1100.00 but it does not work. i asked why the hell are trying to sell something that don't work and do you know what is wrong with it? a kid working there said i tested all the tubes they are ok i said you don't have a tube tester here so how can you say that he replies well they all light up i said even a tube that is bad will sometimes glow.it probably one of the transformers. anyway what year is this head ? it's at guitar center in okc ok. i recently bought a 4x12 bottom marshall cabinet that they said had a blown speaker i had them plug it in heard all speakers working but heard a rattle so i bought cheap took it home pulled off the back tested all the speakers for sound all good they were all loose on the front panel so i marked around them removed the screws rotated em about an inch re-installed the screws with a drop of wood glue on em and cut a 4"port in the back sounds real good plugged into my avt 150.

JAC

Reaction score
Wow! What a trip! I've been reading through here and, I have a few posts on here I see! I did not even have a Marshall for a while when posting on here before. Now my stash includes three small Marshall tube amps! I feel it is time this sticky is updated to include everything to this point in 2014. Just Hoping!

Latest posts