The Official Marshall Code 100 Thread

Arc Anjil

Reaction score
I think what people really want to know is... what's changed? Why did Marshall delay the 100's release for so long? Did they change/fix something? Is the firmware different than on the 25 and 50? (There's no firmware update for the 50 as of this morning). What are the differences between the 50 and 100 (amp-wise)?

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
First time ever recording a cab and I know I can do it a ton better now that I get the idea. Doing this made me realize how many damn variables there are when you want to record a cabinet. SM58 into an iRigHD, plugged into a MacBook Pro and into Garageband. Recorded off axis of the bottom speaker from the MX412A. Not exactly the greatest recording gear but it worked! Maybe I'll do the G12K-85 cab when I get back home. With enough time I could tweak the amp settings and the recording setup and achieve much better results.

10752 Variables on the amp's setting ALONE.
14 different preamps x 4 different power amps x 8 different cabinets x 24 different effects = 10752 possibilities.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I think what people really want to know is... what's changed? Why did Marshall delay the 100's release for so long? Did they change/fix something? Is the firmware different than on the 25 and 50? (There's no firmware update for the 50 as of this morning). What are the differences between the 50 and 100 (amp-wise)?

Well, I don't know that Marshall ever gave an official release date...
Maybe I am wrong.
Somewhere I read that there was a problem with a supplier providing enough parts for demand.

There are differences in the pre-sets between the 50 and the 100.
Different preset names, different preset parameters.
Marshall added a fx loop on the 100, which the 50 does not have.
With 24 effects already built-in, Im not sure how many consumers will actually use the fx loop, but its a welcome addition none the less!

mbell75

Reaction score
Finally figured out a way to record something. Clean bit is the DSL model, dirty is the Silver Jub. First time ever using Garageband and I think I could have reduced the levels a bit also compressed via mp3 but you get the idea.

Thanks but isn't that just USB? If so then yes, its going to sound identical to the 25 and 50. We are wanting to hear how the 100 sounds thru a 4x12 cab.

mbell75

Reaction score
There are differences in the pre-sets between the 50 and the 100.
Different preset names, different preset parameters.
Marshall added a fx loop on the 100, which the 50 does not have.
With 24 effects already built-in, Im not sure how many consumers will actually use the fx loop, but its a welcome addition none the less!

So it is different from the 25 and 50 then. Why are you telling people asking for clips that it sounds just like the 25 and 50?

mbell75

Reaction score
I ran a SM58 mic into the Mac via an iRigHD. The mic recorded the sounds from the cabinet.

Oh cool. Which cab did you use? That sounds really good actually. Thanks

texhex

Reaction score
Cab was a Marshall MX412A and it sounds pretty good at lower volumes. The Celestion G12E-60 speakers that come in it are very inexpensive and have a lower db rating compared to other Celestions. I've A/B tested it with my DSL 100H against a 1960A that has G12T-75s which have a higher db rating and you can instantly tell the difference between them. My other cab has G12K-85s and it's the same thing, more volume without changing anything the amp. Marshall and Celestion don't publish the specs for the G12E-60 but when you hear them compared to another speaker it's pretty obvious why they are so inexpensive. It's a good sounding 4x12 for the money though.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
So it is different from the 25 and 50 then. Why are you telling people asking for clips that it sounds just like the 25 and 50?
I would presume that means SOME different presets and parameters, not all. An 800 preset should in theory sound very close on any of the Code amps. That's why I personally tjought a clip wasn't all that big a deal. If the 50 has a preset for the 800 with Guvnor and the 100 uses a TS9, pretty easy to set t hat oneself and see what it sounds like.
Maybe a list of what presets are different. I mean, there are a lot of choices so if one sets their own presets, skys the limit.
Different speakers obviously play a huge role. That's why I'd like to run my 50 out into various cabs to see what the 100 my aound like.

texhex

Reaction score
Just got home and realized that I didn't save that Jubilee preset after I made that recording. Damn, I have to remember to click on save! I did save the DSL one though and made it my default. Only used the reverb effect on the DSL preset and recording. For the Jubilee I didn't use any effects, just the gain from the amp, no distortion pedal. It's really cool how drastically different the amps sound in the room. I only have the DSL to compare to and it's extremely close except that the tube DSL destroys this little CODE in the volume department. =)

mbell75

Reaction score
Cab was a Marshall MX412A and it sounds pretty good at lower volumes. The Celestion G12E-60 speakers that come in it are very inexpensive and have a lower db rating compared to other Celestions. I've A/B tested it with my DSL 100H against a 1960A that has G12T-75s which have a higher db rating and you can instantly tell the difference between them. My other cab has G12K-85s and it's the same thing, more volume without changing anything the amp. Marshall and Celestion don't publish the specs for the G12E-60 but when you hear them compared to another speaker it's pretty obvious why they are so inexpensive. It's a good sounding 4x12 for the money though.

I agree. Im sure most people could hear a difference between a Code 100 and a DSL100 So much for the people who claim the Code is so good you can't tell it from a tube amp. As much as Im tempted to get a 100H, Im not sure where I would ever use it. Id have to buy a cab for it, which I plan on doing when I get my Runt 50 but between my Bassbreaker 45 and the Runt, I would never gig with the 100 and I have my 50 for home practice. If these would have come out on time many months ago before I got my Bassbreaker, I would have had one and I would be gigging with it right now most likely but thats how it goes sometimes.

texhex

Reaction score
Man I really like this thing.

Bluesbreaker and a Squire Classic Vibe Tele on the bridge PU:

DSL clean channel again and the same Tele on the neck PU:

All recorded again off the MX412A cab with a SM58. Please excuse my playing I only just got back into guitar. =)

mbell75

Reaction score
Man I really like this thing.

Bluesbreaker and a Squire Classic Vibe Tele on the bridge PU:

DSL clean channel again and the same Tele on the neck PU:

All recorded again off the MX412A cab with a SM58. Please excuse my playing I only just got back into guitar. =)

Thanks, these sound a lot better than the sound from the combos with the toy speaker.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Traynor Alnico, but if you get a chance try a Celestion Vintage 30 or celestion G 12/75 !

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I put a V30 in initially but needed it elsewhere. Had better lows but higher highs! The old Traynor seems in the middle and I have 2 spares. Yes. It is heavier.
a9BYCGW.jpg

Randall123

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses a wah in front of the code range. If so, does it sound good? I have an rp360 floor processor that gets super compressed with a wah used in front of it. Just wondering. Thanks.

Plectrum

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses a wah in front of the code range. If so, does it sound good? I have an rp360 floor processor that gets super compressed with a wah used in front of it. Just wondering. Thanks.

Mine sounds fine with my Dunlop Crybaby Mini.