The Official Marshall Code 100 Thread

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Quick comparison between a 1982 JCM 800 tube amp and the new Marshall Code 100.
Both amps are at 50% volume.
Both amps through same cabinet using Celestion G12 75's.
Same guitar.

mbell75

Reaction score
Quick comparison between a 1982 JCM 800 tube amp and the new Marshall Code 100.
Both amps are at 50% volume.
Both amps through same cabinet using Celestion G12 75's.
Same guitar.

Thank you! I prefer the JCM here, sounds bigger and more full and rounded but the Code sounded pretty decent too.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
The early JCM 800 does 1 thing really well.
Some would argue its the best sounding Marshall ever....

The Code does the same thing really well, and a whole lot more.
Clean, to modern, to plexi, and so many more.

I attempted a similar video with both amps turned up 100%.....
The JCM generates too much feedback to even attempt to record.
The Code at 100% is just as loud, with a lot less feedback.

texhex

Reaction score
Doing a little testing between some of the OD amps.

Settings:
10.0 Master Volume
10.0 Volume
6.6 Gain
2.2 Gate
7.4 Bass
5.0 Middle
5.0 Treble
3.1 Presence
5.1 Resonance
Power Amp Classic Marshall 100w

Settings1.PNG Settings2.PNG

I used exactly all the same settings for the amps to start with, only switching out the Pre Amp for each.

Silver Jubilee

(this sounded great in the room)

JCM 800

(a little thin sounding in the room)

DSL

(incredibly overly bassy in the room)

JVM

(so much gain that I had to turn my guitar down to 6 or else I would get pickup squeal)

Next I tried to dial in each amp so they sounded good in the room. I did not write down the settings I used for these but they sounded much better.

Silver Jubilee
Already had it sounding spot on in the first recording.

JCM 800 #2

DSL #2
https://soundcloud.com/user-879952228/dsl-2

JVM #2
https://soundcloud.com/user-879952228/jvm-2

This little amp really puts out a great sound for an insane price. I took a decibel measurement 3 feet from the grill using an iPhone app and it was registering 114db average but I don't think that is right. I can stand in the room and play all of these and it does not hurt my hearing (that could be my own ears though).

decibels.jpg

Sound samples in Garageband for reference:

Amps.png

I'm going to get gut shots of this thing as soon as I get the screwdriver bit it takes to undo the little hex screws they used. The hex screws have a little metal dot in the center.

Last edited:

texhex

Reaction score
It's too bad I just can't get these recorded as well as they sound in the room. Always a little too fizzy sounding on the recording and not capturing the thump of the cabs. I just don't have the gear to get this just right. Ideally I'd put the cabs in a different room so I could listen to it in headphones and tweak it to sound good while it's being recorded. I'm sure many of you know how difficult it is to recreate the way an amp sounds in the room on a recording and now so do I. =) Anyway, it's a lot of fun.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Sounds great Tex!
Have you experimented with changing cabinet simulators, prior to garageband?

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I'm going to get gut shots of this thing as soon as I get the screwdriver bit it takes to undo the little hex screws they used. The hex screws have a little metal dot in the center.

Its a common Torx T20 (5 screws) and a Phillips (3 screws).

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
loop send/return and ONE 8ohm speaker jack.

Also, I just noticed that Music-Go-Round (music chain that specializes in used gear) already has several used ones, so there are some who are already trading them in. :shrug:

https://www.musicgoround.com/search?Q=marshall+code100h&sid=true

A BRAND NEW Marshall Code 100H with a 5 year warranty is $275, through Musicians Friend with their discount and free membership...

The link you have provided wants $360 shipped for a used one...

Are you suggesting that the Marshall Codes are going up in value as time goes on?

Yugedrums

Reaction score
A BRAND NEW Marshall Code 100H with a 5 year warranty is $275, through Musicians Friend with their discount and free membership...

The link you have provided wants $360 shipped for a used one...

Are you suggesting that the Marshall Codes are going up in value as time goes on?

Oh no, my comments weren't about the pricing at all. I was just surprised to see that any of these had already been purchased new and then almost immediately traded in to a used music franchise. All I've heard about them (albeit on a Marshall-specific forum) is how fantastic they are, but apparently there are some who bought them and didn't like them. I'd be curious as to why they traded them in, as I haven't heard anything negative about them. And I'm not knocking the amp at all, I was just really surprised to see some of them for sale used already.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Oh no, my comments weren't about the pricing at all. I was just surprised to see that any of these had already been purchased new and then almost immediately traded in to a used music franchise. All I've heard about them (albeit on a Marshall-specific forum) is how fantastic they are, but apparently there are some who bought them and didn't like them. I'd be curious as to why they traded them in, as I haven't heard anything negative about them. And I'm not knocking the amp at all, I was just really surprised to see some of them for sale used already.

My opinion on it is this.

If one has never played a modeling amp, they may hate it. If you’re not willing to put in the time to learn the amp it’s terrible. If you hate to EQ an amp, you’ll hate it as you have to EQ dozens of amps with all of the presets.

I highly disliked the 25 but given the size of the cabinet and the horrible speaker that’s not a surprise. I want to try the 100 but I’m not in a position to do so right now. I think it can be a good amp but it has to have a willing user.

60Cycle

Reaction score
I got the Code 100C , wasn’t bad but the speakers held it back. I put two Governors in it wired parallel to get 8 ohms and did away with the cab sims.

Great amp so far with very usable tones. The speakers that I pulled are absolutely garbage. I mean they make 70/80s seem like Cadillacs.

mximumovrdrv

Reaction score
Got my Code 100 combo yesterday. It sounds great. Didn't get to play too much, though. Messed around with the app and added some patches from the code tools site. I can't wait to get off work and have some fun with it.

Reaction score
If you mind, can you tell me, how much it cost you? I am going to shop for a smaller size Marshall, but don't want to sacrifice to much power lose. I love feeling of all that power, ware you can feel each note! Fun fun with your new amp, many good jam sessions good luck Rich!