The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Liquor

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a mx212 yet to put the DSL40c on top of yet, would like to see some photos if there are some floating around. I'm torn between a 112 or 212 cab as the DSL is in between these sizes. Would probably be too big for a custom 112 cab meaning maybe a too boxy sound I guess. Is the difference really that much from a 112 cab and a 212 cab sound with my DSL speaker engaged also?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
We are all waiting for you to get one and do a proper review here.

I had a chance to hear one over the weekend, (MX212) and it sounded great with a JVM on top... It is the only cab still available that seems to match the DSL40c.

And yes, it DOES make that big a difference playing the DSL40c thru an external cab. Everything sounds bigger and better!

bman

Reaction score
It's loaded w/ 70/80 speakers which is what the combo comes w/. I can't imagine it being much of an upgrade, just louder. Save your bucks and buy a better Marshall 2x12 cab. That's my 2 cents.

Liquor

Reaction score
Yeah I'm aware what the mx212 is loaded with and also would have to change speakers and wiring. Today I changed the 70/80 in the combo to a celestion V30. Couldn't have it loud yet and new speaker, so not broken in but the change it seems isn't ground breaking, as the stock 70/80 was well worn in. The V30 seems to have better low end though and seems a bit tighter but will have to wait till that's broken in. I've enquired about a custom 1x12 cab to be made to match the DSL40c as don't think the 2x12 won't make that much difference over a 1x12 extension cab. Also the added costs of extra speakers etc. The guy I spoke to said a little bigger 1x12 will give me bigger sound anyhow with another V30 inside and closed back plus the open back of the amp. He said it wouldn't be too "boomy" also having a little bit larger custom 1x12 so guessed a 2x12 wouldn't make that much difference. Won't have the cab made till the new year so will post photos then.

wolfpack

Reaction score
What type of tool is everyone using to adjust the bias pot ?
Is a ceramic anti-static screwdriver the best choice ?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If I can find it, I usually use a small plastic slug tuning tool.
If not a small phillips screwdriver.

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
What type of tool is everyone using to adjust the bias pot ?
Is a ceramic anti-static screwdriver the best choice ?

Plastic or ceramic is safest, I guess, but I just use a chrome handled screwdriver from an eyeglass set. There's nothing in the immediate area to be concerned about unless you're hammered or something... lol. -Rod-

Duffy49

Reaction score
N. Central Pa. on S. bank of Susquehanna River
Avatar makes some great inexpensive real baltic birch plywood cabinets loaded with the speakers that you desire. I bought one with two Swamp Thangs in it, the "Vintage" style one and it is an awesome cab - real plywood. Why mess with MDF, etc.?

Mine is all black including black "Avatar" lettering, has the bluesbreaker style valence in the front, all black and black grill cloth. It is accentuated with gold piping around the valence and the grill cloth. Very classic looking cabinet. All for 430+/-, with free shipping.

Skylarkpilot

Reaction score
If you're in Europe, Thomann of Germany do a Harley Benton 2x12 loaded with Vintage 30's for about the same price as you can buy the speakers alone €195 which is about £153 just now (that's about $240 for our cousins). Over two hundred Euro and they ship free so worth adding some strings.
It's good build quality (heavy) and sounds absolutely great with the DSL40. Metal side handles and switching on the back plate. What's not to love ?
Quick note....just checked their site, for forty bucks they ship to the States !

Liquor

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was aware of avatar and the others but I'm in northern Australia which complicates things including shipping. There is one or maybe 2 guys in my city that build cabs but they have shut for Christmas already and 1 guy said it takes 5 weeks??? So wouldn't receive cab till start of February. It's going to be a long wait or will still be searching for other options. I'm pretty sure a ply 1x12 custom to fit my DSL40c will be a better choice than a ply 2x12 as the difference won't be that much as I will have the combo speaker engaged also.

Liquor

Reaction score
Thanks lordquilton, yeah that's the guy I was talking about. He hasn't put his info on his ebay page that he is going away. A bit frustrating but I spoke to him about a custom cabinet to match DSL40c and a closed back would be approx. $379 in the other black style 1x12 he has advertised. It would be built to my specs but when I spoke to him a few days ago he said they have closed for Christmas. It's only the start of December....... also he told me he is going to NAMM show and will be away for the month of January and that the earliest I could order would be start of January and wouldn't receive cab until February which makes it a 7 week wait. I'll have to wait I guess and hope it's worth it but will post photos and review when it's done. Any suggestions what I should load it with as I have a celestion V30 in the DLS40c at the moment, another V30? or something different to complement what I have in the combo.

lordquilton

Reaction score
Well, I've never done speaker mixing myself. But from what I've read the V30 tends to dominate unless you pair it with something with a similar kind of "nasty". :slash:
Like the Celestion V-Type is well thought of in this kind of amplifier, but might be a little too sweet to pair with a V30?
The G12H-30 70th Anniversary seems popular in a 2x12 with V30.
If it were me I'd be tempted to give a Creamback G12-H75 a run in there. :naughty:

Classic - G12H-75 Creamback - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

One thing to consider is the sensitivity ratings. The V30 is rated 100dB, so you probably don't want to go any lower than 98dB for the speaker you want to pair with it.

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
Short update. After having the 40C for a week and some tinkering around time, I've come to the conclusion that this amp is VERY versatile. I love the green channel with my SD-1 on the front end which adds a nice kick at lower volumes.....sounds great.

I haven't done any mods as of yet and not sure if I will as the Creamback really tamed the treble and gave me a nice smooth mid hump. I'm running a GE-7 in the loop for the red channel so I can shape it bit more to my liking. I sold a Jubilee 2554 years ago and always missed it until know. Sure, the Jub was voiced a bit different but I can get pretty damn close with this amp.

3dognate

Reaction score
I picked up a used DSL40C last week off eBay. It was advertised with a bit of cabinet damage which didn't look too bad.. It was way worse. But the amp sounded pretty bad ass... so I clamped and glued the cab back to a stable condition and ordered a G12H-75 Creamback. Man that really woke the amp up. Nice... very happy with how it sounds. I took it to rehearsal and it did great there too.
So as for the cabinet... I am making a replacement cab out of 3/4" marine plywood. The MDF cab that the DSL40C comes with is crap... just crap. If Marshall had done a Ply cab and a Vintage 30 in these amps they would not be able to produce enough of them fast enough.

I should have the new cabinet covered and guts ported over this weekend. I'll post pics when it is finished.

Now.... one thing I'd like to see on this amp that they left out... an "overall Master Volume" (Or Effects Loop return Level)... anyone got any thoughts on this item? I've not seen a schematic floating around yet for it.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, once the cabs get crushed there is not much hope.
The ply cab should be lighter.
Please be sure to post photos here so everyone can enjoy your new amp!

OH - Many members formally introduce themselves in the Member Introductions section where you can tell us all a little about yourself. Welcome aboard!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I picked up a used DSL40C last week off eBay. It was advertised with a bit of cabinet damage which didn't look too bad.. It was way worse. But the amp sounded pretty bad ass... so I clamped and glued the cab back to a stable condition and ordered a G12H-75 Creamback. Man that really woke the amp up. Nice... very happy with how it sounds. I took it to rehearsal and it did great there too.
So as for the cabinet... I am making a replacement cab out of 3/4" marine plywood. The MDF cab that the DSL40C comes with is crap... just crap. If Marshall had done a Ply cab and a Vintage 30 in these amps they would not be able to produce enough of them fast enough.

I should have the new cabinet covered and guts ported over this weekend. I'll post pics when it is finished.

Now.... one thing I'd like to see on this amp that they left out... an "overall Master Volume" (Or Effects Loop return Level)... anyone got any thoughts on this item? I've not seen a schematic floating around yet for it.

+1 on the Creambacks....way back when I got mine the first thing I did was put the G12M 65W creamy in it and its been there ever sense. Then, I find out SweetWater is selling them with the creamy already in it 6 months to a year down the road:scratch::scratch::scratch:

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
[SNIP]

Interesting idea. I've got the schematics and assume that the two volume pots could be blended into one, but you'd lose that functionality. When I play Green it's usually softer than Red, which would cause hemorrhages in my ears if I unplugged the attenuator. So the two volume pots have a valid use, at least for me. The FX level doesn't seem to be much of an issue either since the amp is a combo. In a general sense, people using combos aren't mixing pedals and rack effects so Marshall rightfully assumes that most of it's users will be using pedals. Still, it should be an easy fix for most of the modders here...though not me. I can do it so long as someone tells me what I need to do and with what parts. I failed the "Electronics for Dummies" class :D -Rod-

3dognate

Reaction score
Interesting idea. I've got the schematics and assume that the two volume pots could be blended into one, but you'd lose that functionality. When I play Green it's usually softer than Red, which would cause hemorrhages in my ears if I unplugged the attenuator. So the two volume pots have a valid use, at least for me. The FX level doesn't seem to be much of an issue either since the amp is a combo. In a general sense, people using combos aren't mixing pedals and rack effects so Marshall rightfully assumes that most of it's users will be using pedals. Still, it should be an easy fix for most of the modders here...though not me. I can do it so long as someone tells me what I need to do and with what parts. I failed the "Electronics for Dummies" class :D -Rod-

No... leave the two channel masters. Just add a master after the effects loop. Lots of amps do this, it's really just an effects return level control / overall master volume... same thing. My H&K Grand Meister does this. I can figure it out probably... Very handy when you run something directly into the effects return.