The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
need a meter and learn to bias! should sound even better. What are the stock power tube brand? I know cheap ones with make it bright or raspy

I don't remember what the stock power tubes are. May have been posted earlier I think...:hmm:

I liked mine over the 34L's I rolled in. The stock ones fit the mids I like better. I want to try some KT77's in it...

60Cycle

Reaction score
Anyone using a Tubescreamer? Im in love with the green channel, gain at 10 add in a the Tubescreamer no gain, level and tone dimed I have no need for the red channel anymore.

Still stock had it biased cool at the amp shop.

dave999z

Reaction score
Anyone using a Tubescreamer? Im in love with the green channel, gain at 10 add in a the Tubescreamer no gain, level and tone dimed I have no need for the red channel anymore.

I normally use the red channel for lead tones, but if I'm messing around with my looper pedal and want to loop some clean chords and then improvise over it with a lead tone, that requires using an overdrive pedal. For that I use a TS-808 reissue. Sounds great. Sometimes wish the TS overdrive knob went to 11. Thinking of a mod or making one from BYOC. (I built their Royal Phase pedal, and it's awesome.)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Sort of, a Bad Monkey. I don't dime the EQ though. Awesome raunch rhythm, lead 1 for solos.

markm

Reaction score

I'm doing the same with a tubescreamer, but have my green 2 gain at about 7 so I can get some cleanish tones too. And still use red 1 for solos and harder rock.
Lovin this amp!

ken361

Reaction score
Green for crunch and red for high gain stuff, the Strat cleans are pretty nice when I set up clean channel.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I normally use the red channel for lead tones, but if I'm messing around with my looper pedal and want to loop some clean chords and then improvise over it with a lead tone, that requires using an overdrive pedal. For that I use a TS-808 reissue. Sounds great. Sometimes wish the TS overdrive knob went to 11. Thinking of a mod or making one from BYOC. (I built their Royal Phase pedal, and it's awesome.)

BYOC's stuff is really nice.. I always go to them or GeneralGuitarGadgets. Best pedal I ever put together was the BYOC muff though, that thing is so gnarly!

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
I have gone in mine numerous times for tube changes and biasing without any trouble with screws.

Enjoy the little beast and have fun tweaking it. I've biased mine several times rolling a few power tubes and have had no problems. Biasing is something we all should be able to do with this amp without having to take it to a tech. Learn if you don't know how and be careful always of electrical shock. I've never been bit by a DSL.:D

Yeah I think I will just double check the Bias to make sure it's ok, I have a multi-meter and I have biased the old HRD I used to have so I am familiar enough to not shock the S%$# out of myself :lol:
I really like this site and thanks for all the advice everybody
I am going to do the side handles like Micky too

Swede

Reaction score
m taking my rig, dsl 40 and cabinet to practice friday night again. question, i for one prefer the tonality in half power mode, but it doesnt cut it volume wise for our rehearsals,

what tweaking if any would turn the tonality of the full power mode in to half power mode?
to me, everything sounds better with the half power setting.

Anybody have any suggestions for SEE ABOVE!

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for SEE ABOVE!

You shouldn't have that issue, Swede. I don't know the math but it's only a 1 or 2 db difference with the volume up. If you really can't be heard at rehearsal then you'll need to EQ around it or get the amp off the floor, etc. I like it better on half power too but I can't tell any difference in volume once I account for the change in EQ.
I suppose that if you've been running in triode mode for a long time and at volume that it's possible that part of the tube is weaker than the whole. Someone well versed on tube theory might be able to address that but it seems possible. -Rod-

Swede

Reaction score
You shouldn't have that issue, Swede. I don't know the math but it's only a 1 or 2 db difference with the volume up. If you really can't be heard at rehearsal then you'll need to EQ around it or get the amp off the floor, etc. I like it better on half power too but I can't tell any difference in volume once I account for the change in EQ.
I suppose that if you've been running in triode mode for a long time and at volume that it's possible that part of the tube is weaker than the whole. Someone well versed on tube theory might be able to address that but it seems possible. -Rod-

I just like the sound better in half mode, slightly more compressed, better OD i think

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
And that is exactly the difference. In triode mode, you are shorting parts of the tube together so that it acts like a different tube.

Not only do you get less clean headroom, i.e. quicker breakup, you force the finals to act in a manner they were not designed to operate in.

So let me ask - do you get a noticeable volume increase with an extra cab plugged in? Is this enough volume or do you still need more? Maybe a 100H might fit the bill...

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I just like the sound better in half mode, slightly more compressed, better OD i think

I agree. I do more rhythm than riffing and the half power just suits my tastes, not so shrill, more mid and low end punch without being muddy, but I still use the down-switch on my Les Paul and dial back the treble to about 6. I use an MXR-108 which make it better but also makes it easier to totally screw up my tone. Gotta be careful with the tweaks! -Rod-

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
And that is exactly the difference. In triode mode, you are shorting parts of the tube together so that it acts like a different tube.

Not only do you get less clean headroom, i.e. quicker breakup, you force the finals to act in a manner they were not designed to operate in.

So let me ask - do you get a noticeable volume increase with an extra cab plugged in? Is this enough volume or do you still need more? Maybe a 100H might fit the bill...

So Micky, was I more or less correct? Running in triode mode constantly will or may shorten the tube life (Or weaken it permanently)? It's not an issue for me, just want it straight in my head. -Rod-

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
No it probably will not affect tube lifespan either way.

Plates are still running normally.

Dmann

Reaction score
Only had my 100H for a week but in 1/2 power mode it's kinda like it just puts a blanket over the speaker and did not like it at all. Full power gives full clarity.

You might be able to get the same 1/2 power tone in full power mode by using a boost in front.

Swede

Reaction score

I think partially the issue might be, I use mostly lead 1 channel, but keep gain only on about 2...OFA for the main dirt...........Clearly I can raise the gain on the lead1 channel (which adds volume) but that screws up my tone.

Gonna see if I can figure something out tomorrow at rehearsal.

last rehearsal I used the 40 watt mode and no issues, just slightly more fond of the 20 watt sound.

gonna snap a pic once dialed in how i keep it at practice

Dmann

Reaction score
Not sure if this made an appearance already in the thread, but it's a fantastic demo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDheLVngPk[/ame]

Fender into DSL40c @ 33:36

minerman

Reaction score
Only had my 100H for a week but in 1/2 power mode it's kinda like it just puts a blanket over the speaker and did not like it at all. Full power gives full clarity.

You might be able to get the same 1/2 power tone in full power mode by using a boost in front.

I've had my DSL100 since July & the sound/feel is different in 1/2 power mode, but I personally don't feel it's got the "blanket over the speaker" thing myself, it just feels (and sounds) like a different amp....I don't use the 1/2 power thing very much myself though, I like the headroom the full 100 watts has....

I like OD1 the best out of all the modes, gain on about 4-5, volume depending on what time it is (can't have the cops at the new pad just yet, as log as it's before 9 pm, fluck the new neighbors:lol:....:naughty:), treble around 2-3, mids 4-5, bass 6-7, presence 6-7, & resonance pretty low, around 2 or so, is a great sound to me....

Green crunch is good too, but I find the low end a little flubby with the same eq settings as above, but I tighten it up a little with a SD-1 as a clean boost, & while it's similar to OD1, it's still not exactly the same...

For the $$$, I think it's a great amp, if I ever were to gig again, I'd take my amp with no hesitation or worries at all....I'm sure the 40w version is just as good....

Oh yeah, my amp is totally stock too, same tubes in it now that were in it when I bought it, but I did take it out of it's headshell a couple nights ago just to check the bias (again, I checked it a couple/few months ago, & it's right where it was then) & just give it a visual go-over after Dmann's "poof" a few days ago (sorry that happened dude, but at least you got a new amp without having to wait) :yesway:....