The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

60Cycle

Reaction score
I had mine plugged into my 1960 for like an hour. Had never bothered to until today, all I can say is wow.

60Cycle

Reaction score
Well its been stock for a while now, so Im about to start to tinker with it. Im going easy today, going to run a GT12-75 and a Marshall Vintage 12 and see if either are an improvement over the stock speaker.

I don't hold hope or high expectations of either making a huge change. I mean combo amps aren't life changing experiences once you've spent any time with closed extension cabs.

Swede

Reaction score
It was loud.....We always play pretty loud. I like the creamyness of the 20 watt mode.

Here is a pic from yesterday....Thats sitting on top of a cabinet not in use. Didnt bring my additional 1X12 cab yesterday.

ken361

Reaction score
Here are my settings from band rehearsal last night. 20 watt mode

Les Paul and OFA

Mostly use Lead 1

Try gain at gain at 7, treb at noon mids at 10 o clock bass at 2 o clock pres at 10 o clock and resonance at 7 lead 1. I tried the pres up and trb all off it didnt sound good at low volume, you need that treble for that Marshall tone IMO;)

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
I was at a jam a while back and couldn't figure out why I wasn't cutting through the mix. I never had a problem with it before so I kept cranking up the volume, but I still was having trouble hearing myself. When I got home I was hooking everything back up and found that I was in half power mode. I must have hit the switch when I was setting up. I definitely prefer full power in a band situation. Mind you once I have the eq settings that I like I tend not to mess with them so if I had I might have solved the issue of not cutting through. I personally like the bite of the 40 watt setting even at home but I'm going to spend a little time finding the 20 watt sweet spot.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
It was loud.....We always play pretty loud. I like the creamyness of the 20 watt mode.

Here is a pic from yesterday....Thats sitting on top of a cabinet not in use. Didnt bring my additional 1X12 cab yesterday.

Do you normally have a problem with the second cab hooked up? I was thinking about getting a 1x12 or 2x12 someday.

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
Changed the speaker today to an ancient G12M70 (80s-early90s I'm guessing and WELL broken in) and WOW big ol difference I am going to play with it like this for awhile before I go unsoldering any caps :)

Dmann

Reaction score
Changed the speaker today to an ancient G12M70 (80s-early90s I'm guessing and WELL broken in) and WOW big ol difference I am going to play with it like this for awhile before I go unsoldering any caps :)

In my short experience with the DSL40c, changing the speaker made a huge difference, but what I liked is that the amp still exhibited the same gain and tone structure.

That famous Marshall crunch and roar. :hbang:

Swede

Reaction score
Try gain at gain at 7, treb at noon mids at 10 o clock bass at 2 o clock pres at 10 o clock and resonance at 7 lead 1. I tried the pres up and trb all off it didnt sound good at low volume, you need that treble for that Marshall tone IMO;)

Im pretty happy with my settings, but I'll check it out. I much prefer presence over treble at high volumes, which is what these settings are for:)

ken361

Reaction score
Played loud today I went to the clean channel later,flipped on the single coils on the les Paul with the guitar's boost on. It sounded glorious! Gain at 7 and the volume. It was pretty dam loud,boost is nice:)

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
Ha well so I said I wasn't going to do any more but since we are pretty much snowed in I had the overwhelming urge to tinker so I unsoldered the C-19..... Yep that made the difference right there. It's perfect now and the clean channel is still sparkly enough, I can run one side into the DSL and the other into my 71 Bandmaster if I need more "Fenderyness" :)

60Cycle

Reaction score

I put a made in England G12T70 in mine today, made it a whole lot better amp. Didn't even bother with the Marshall Vintage. Sealed her back up, no wonder though so many people are unhappy with the 70/80. Its the first time I looked at it, Im surprised by the lack of Celestion-ness to it. Weighs next to nothing, not much magnet-wise and just kind of an air of cheapyness to it.

Mine was well broken in by now but just lacked life. The only thing is now, when you dime the volume on 40w mode, Red 2 becomes worthless with the gain at 2 or more. Back down to Green 1 and 2 and Red 1 and it just sings but Red 2 has that high pitched flat feedback. It might have been there with the 70/80 I don't recall ever going balls out on Red 2 with it.

Rahlstin

Reaction score
I just got in from playing another show with this amp and each time it just seems better. Amazing tone. I might get another one just for a spare.