The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
Here's a setting to try, I saw posted on another thread comparing the 50 watt EVH against the JCM 2000 EVH type setting. He had the trb at 5, pres at 5 or so mids at 4 bass at 5 and resonance 5. I had my pres at 6 or so it sounded more open sounding. I think I like it better for now. I know most dont set the presence that high but it seems to work on mine fine with my speaker and guitar. Gain at 7 for me for that 80's rawk! Also noticed last week and today when I dimed the crunch channel I noticed a smell maybe like the electronics smell, not sure like a burning smell. I had the amp for 6 months and never noticed it before untill I dimed the crunch channel lastweek and today, hmm tubes look good and not to crazy hot coming from the chassic so im not sure.

MaidenStrat02

Reaction score
You definitely read into it wrong. I had a blown fuse situation due to mistakenly reversing two connectors when putting everything back into the chassis. There was no relation to the O.T. or Choke install at all. Measuring the Voltage at Pin 3 and the 2 red wires from the power tranny are your secondary's, which I had to check after replacing the fuse to make sure there was no damage.
BTW the reason I had the tubes out was because that was the stage at which I was reinstalling everything. I had the mainboard, choke and speaker outs only hooked up. I powered up to verify I had power. Then I installed all the other daughterboards and put in the tubes. During the hookup of the wires I reversed ground on the EL34 and it blew the fuse.
I don't know how you plan on installing your O.T. and Choke but you will have to drill 4 holes to mount them, since I was doing a Cap swap it's necessary to remove everything. You need to at least take out the Main board to remove R111 and drill your mounting holes for the choke. Just write down all connections and double check before you remove it. Make sure you vacuum the inside well to get all the chips from drilling, you don't want any shorts. Anytime I'm working on my amp I always pull the tubes to avoid damage if there's an accident. I hope you are clear now on what my reasons where. If you aren't sure of something somebody posted ask them for clarification first so don't misquote what they have said.

Page 142 a post by Maidenstrat02. Starts with S.O.S. I guess I am reading to much and getting research overload. It got me confused.
I can bias an amp and have swapped out tubes. Changed a cap or 2.
After reading and seeing the pictures on this thread I am confident that I can mounting and wire the output transformer without an issue. It's been really helpful.

So it's as straightforward as fallows then.
Mount and wire the OT. Put the tubes back in. Connect the speaker. Turn on. Let warm. Check plate voltage. Bias. And enjoy. If I have missed a step your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hildo

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to re-read it to understand what was going on.Thanks the information is useful for sure. My only real concern is making sure the caps discharged enough. I got nailed before on one I know I discharged

recto-robbie

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to be buying some replacement el34's shortly and noticed the new JJ EL34 II being offered. I read their description but was wondering if any of you have tried them in the 40c and would like to know your thoughts. Compared to other el34's, from jj or any other brand for that matter. Thanks

Bownse

Reaction score
With so many tube choices/combos, how do you pick a starting point?

I read this whole thread and then read the whole pre-amp tube thread.

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/3824-preamp-tubes-who-what-when-where-why-how.html

Then, while reading it, I considered what the authors' goals were compared to mine and made a few notes. It saved me a lot of duplicate questions to the forum while also saving me some trial and error. I am nearly done but have some pre-amp tubed to roll (came in last week but company was here, so am only now ready to try) to see if I can get closer or if what I have is "there" for me.

So, in summary:

1. I read what's already here
2. I took notes as I went
C. I did some hands-on experimenting based on 1 and 2

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
With so many tube choices/combos, how do you pick a starting point? Am looking for a little more sustain and thump. Running burstbuckers through a creamback.

Anyone try this combo? Preamp Tonekit 12AX7 (4) - Tone Kits - Tube Kits

Like Bownse posted, you gotta do the research yourself. This is why you won't get a lot of suggestions other than 'I use a xxx in V1, etc.' People here have tried so many different combinations it is extremely difficult to recommend a set that will work for everyone.

You can, however, obtain some different preamp tubes yourself and 'roll' them in different positions to see which sound best to you.

It is a very subjective thing, and can be very different for each one of us.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Im sure its been asked before but what are the stock valves? V1-V4

I just dont want to order the same tubes.

Listened to a clip of a Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+ in V1 and it sounded great. I know its subjective but any other V1 suggestions perhaps?

ken361

Reaction score

Listened to a clip of a Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+ in V1 and it sounded great. I know its subjective but any other V1 suggestions perhaps?

JJ 83 12ax7

ken361

Reaction score
The old stock tubes usually are warmer sounding I use a few, usually like 35.00 and up people like the Ruby and a Tungsol in the v1

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Thanks ken.

Well I just ordered a Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+, a Tungsol RI and a Mullard RI from Dougs tubes. Looks like I will be getting my roll on next week. Should be interesting, am stoked! :shred:

One more question....Where can I get some micro leads for my MM to bias with?

Thanks man!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Justvtried a Chinese, Sino I think, in V1 and got slightly more sustain than the old Mullard. RFT in V2. Try a new Ruby or other Chinese tube in V1.

John 14:6

Reaction score
I just played my DSL40C for the first time live today at church. We played three services/sets and the DSL performed like a champ. The Celestion Creamback 65 is breaking in nicely and the RFT preamp tubes really help to give the amp a nice fat and warm sound. I have a Friedman Smallbox 50 on the way next week so I should be all set for amps for a long time.:D

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Cool deal John!

Yea I was cranking my DSL this morning and man its a beast for such a small amp. The CB65 combined with some burstbuckers makes for some serious screaming vintage tones. Will hopefully get even better with some tubes later this week. Kinda funny though to even think it needs it. We shall see how much difference it makes.

Got my eyes on ordering an Avatar 2X12 cab with some V30s to complete the package.

Hildo

Reaction score
I swapped my OT with a Classic tone and added a Classic tone choke. I had only 15 mins after I checked plate voltage and biased it to play. The result is phenomenal. The amp has really opened up. OMG the clean is unbelievable. Sounds clearer at lower volume. Has more sustain and more head room. The reverb quality has also improved. So I decided to check out half power. I was already on half power. So hopefully I just bumped the switch while returning the chassis to the cab. I will have re check the bias. Full power has punch. I had to stop. Very pleased couldn't have done it without the information provided from guys in this forum.