The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Just got my tubes in, quick question, on the sides written in sharpie are a set of numbers. The ruby 12ax7ac7 hg+ has 100/100 and the tungsol has 110/105 written on it. What do these numbers mean?

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Thanks ken, so does that mean the tung sol is a hotter tube? Makes sense if it does after my findings after a couple hours of rolling.

So far Ive rolled V1 with the stock tube, then the ruby and tungsol with all other valves stock. Theres is a definate difference between the three. The ruby is more melow/warm sounding while not having the volume of the tungsol, which has a brighter, sharper attack. I like certain aspects of them both. I then tried the tungsol in V2 with the ruby in V1, got more of the blend, then switched to the tungsol in V1 and ruby in V2 and thats the one I am liking the most (for now, what did I get myself into? lol) . It has the bite of the tungsol and warmth backbone of the ruby. The clean channel is full bodied as well.

Kinda feel like this is old news for a lot of people here but its the first time Ive chased tone by rolling some tubes and I can quickly tell this can be both rewarding and frustrating. Am gonna open it up tonight and see at stage volume how it holds up since I couldnt really crank it too loud today.

ken361

Reaction score
I went back to my old tungsol in the v1 and warm it up with the JJ 803 v3 Mullard/Penta tube and a Slyvania PI the Slyvania is the best PI tube I found out of my stash. Playing loud is the best way to dial it in because its gotta sound best when cranked.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
So can anyone confirm the numbers being the gain measurement and/or explain it in laymans terms what it translates to? Just wanting to learn more.

Appreciate it as always.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It is generally the transconductance numbers measured by the tube tester.
There are 2 numbers on each 12AX tube to indicate the strength of each side i.e. how balanced they are. You can ask the people who tested the tubes exactly what the numbers mean, but without any other indication as to what was measured you cannot draw any direct correlation to anything.

maxime1122

Reaction score
I'm now in the club!

marshall_dsl40cv.jpg

ken361

Reaction score
Been running my mids at 7 and bass at 3 trb 6 res at 5 seems more balanced now,but having a warmer v1 helps Lead 2 today ripped metal tones:)

ken361

Reaction score
When I play at my girls condo my amp sounds fuller and warmer some, finished basement, carpet on the floor, newly built,drop ceiling and amp set few from the wall. My house built in 1960 unfinished basement, tile on floor and amp not set to the wall because too much crap behind it:) what im saying amp setting will vary to one place to another some. At my house maybe dropping the mids some and add bass fills it out more. You guys that gig you change your eq at all when playing diff places?

Rahlstin

Reaction score
When I play at my girls condo my amp sounds fuller and warmer some, finished basement, carpet on the floor, newly built,drop ceiling and amp set few from the wall. My house built in 1960 unfinished basement, tile on floor and amp not set to the wall because too much crap behind it:) what im saying amp setting will vary to one place to another some. At my house maybe dropping the mids some and add bass fills it out more. You guys that gig you change your eq at all when playing diff places?

I change my eq to what ever it needs to sound good in what ever room but for the most part indoor show are minor tweeks . Outdoor shows seem to require a lot more eq change than most indoor shows.

60Cycle

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with mine lately since Marshall has my AFD. It responds dramatically to tube and speaker changes. I've finally leveled out and quit chasing a tone, it's where it's going to stay. The TAD Premium 7025 in 1 and Tung Sol in the other 3 with the Marshall Vintage with TubeScreamer boosting the green channel a hair past a third on the drive level and tone dimed, green channel gain dimed volume at 5 or better. Not too bassy, not to thin and bitey just perfect, the tone I had in my head all this time.