The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
MarshallDog what's up man I appreciate your response. I guess I will take a chance with the creamback just because so many are gooing over it and I don't see a peep about much other speakers.

Now I know because certain stores sell it this way it's going to have a buzz but I can read through the lines and I'm hearing very good things all around about the celestion creamback.

I may get a scumback just to try out just because I put one in a fender once and holy Sam did it deliver and I know there really meant for marshally type tones so if it could deliver in the Fender I bet it would be nice in this. Pete thorn has some nice demo's of the H-65 I believe and it sounds great but it's not in this Marshall. Thanks again MarshallDog

IRG

Reaction score
So I had maybe an hour or two last night to test out. Way too early to make any definitive comments on it. But here goes.

1. It is pretty awesome
2. The clean channel was a surprise, as has been mentioned by others. Really nice tones.
3. However, moving from clean to crunch the volume discrepancy is very noticeable, but with more time I might be able to dial it in better.
4. Crunch channel is very nice too, and works great with pedals.
5. Lead 1/2 are great, and can't wait to spend more time with them. I have a Wampler Triple-Wreck high gain pedal, and it does sound more processed now that I hear both. The Wampler is tighter, more mid scooped. Amp is a little looser, but much more organic. I still love the Triple Wreck with my Fender amp, but that amp lacked any sort of mid to higher gain distortion, and also has less mids, so the two worked well together.
6. I have a Wampler Euphoria pedal that I felt didn't have enough mid range presence with my Fender, but with the Marshall it works great. I have a Wampler Clarksdale (TS-808 based) coming and am curious to see how this will match up with the Marshall.

7. First effects loop for me, and I have a delay, tremolo, reverb and an Boss RC-3 looper in the effects loop. Works good so far, but I have some tweaking to do, and a new delay coming in a day or two, excited to see how this will all flesh out.

8. I found the amount of power of the DSL40 manageable for home/studio use. I was surprised when I unboxed it, how much bigger and heavier it was over my Fender Humboldt(souped up Blues Jr.). The Fender is loud for 15w. THe Marshall at 20w seemed comfortable for home use. Then I dialed up the volume more (had gain at half way, on the Lead channels) and man it rips. Really loud, really impactful. Love it. Yes, I would/will likely go deaf at this level if I leave here for too long. But it sounds good too with the volume lowered, so big plus for being versatile.

9. For small/medium gigs I am sure it can hold it's own, especially at the 40w setting. I was glad to see though, that there is a fairly noticeable different between the settings, it isn't just a gimmick.

10. Can't wait for the Creamback speaker to break in, and the tubes too. I'm looking into getting a second set of preamp tubes, to experiment with in the future. I'll keep the stock ones in there for a while, until I get used to the amp's tone.

I'm going to write an article (I'm a contributing writer for ProGuitarShop - The Tone Report) on the effects of what happens when switching amps. This is primarily a pedal based magazine, but we cover amps and guitars too. But in my case, I'm moving from a smaller single channel Fender amp, to a larger multi channel Marshall amp with an effects loop. How are fuzzes impacted? Overdrives needed? If so which ones work best? Boosts, compressors, etc. I can see how people prefer amp drive over pedal gain easily enough. That doesn't necessarily mean pedals are useless - it does mean that different pedals can be used to further enhance the tone you have. Should be an interesting article (at least for me!) as I change setups over the coming weeks. Thanks for reading all of this :)

ken361

Reaction score
Soon as you throw pedals in a amp it looses its mojo like warmth and that IMO even one pedal with effect your tone some when its off, people may argue:) I use all Mogami and still can tell when you start adding pedals and more cables in the mix. I would still love a good delay though. Try jamming loud with and with out pedals, there's some difference :)

MarshallDog

Reaction score
You guys ever notice that if you leave your EQ knobs set as is for some time and don't turn them, when you do they are stiff and turn harder than normal. This just happened to me the other day with the Reverb knobs. they have been set for several months and when I went to adjust them, they didn't turn nice and easy:scratch: After some twisting, they turn easy once again.

ken361

Reaction score
You guys ever notice that if you leave your EQ knobs set as is for some time and don't turn them, when you do they are stiff and turn harder than normal. This just happened to me the other day with the Reverb knobs. they have been set for several months and when I went to adjust them, they didn't turn nice and easy:scratch: After some twisting, they turn easy once again.

I keep mine covered when not in use, dust isnt good for anything:)

IRG

Reaction score
Soon as you throw pedals in a amp it looses its mojo like warmth and that IMO even one pedal with effect your tone some when its off, people may argue:) I use all Mogami and still can tell when you start adding pedals and more cables in the mix. I would still love a good delay though. Try jamming loud with and with out pedals, there's some difference :)

I'll certainly being trying that, and I've done so in the past with other amps. And I can't say in those cases I would agree with your findings, but in a sense I do get it - pure guitar to amp is indeed the cleanest signal path. I do find though, good pedals, with good cables should never muck up the signal path when engaged, or should only supplement your tone - in however manner you want it to. If it does decrease the 'mojo' then either the pedal or cables aren't up to snuff. Plus I will almost always take a little hit in the tone department over the added flexibility and fun that comes from adding some pedals. The spice of life and all. But I've seen it overdone too. Everyone's got a little different goal in life when it comes to how to create the tone that is best for them.

ken361

Reaction score
Pedals can be fun no doubt! I was boosting mine with a true bypass for a few weeks and all good but when I turned the pedal off I noticed the crunch channel was lacking some luster. Most people wouldnt care but I kinda prefer it the way it is. I a/b it a few good times and though it was pretty dam close to be just like plugging in. Then later on I tried it again and could tell something was missing. First using a battery or power supply is best over a One Spot. Its funny how you hear things different at other times

tman

Reaction score
I love using a tube based OD pedal with this amp.IMO they sound the best.I use both a Vintage tube monster VT-999 I believe and a EH ENGLISH MUFFN pedal using real preamp tubes.When you use these kinda OD pedals with this amp it gives it such a nice sweet warmth and thump that other OD pedals IMO can't deliver. Try these they work awesome!!

AxeMaker

Reaction score
Re: Effects volume drop ---

Got thr chassis open, turned off all volume & definitely hear a LOUD "pop" (I assume relay) when I let the switch out, so I assume it working. I am guessing those CaA&B mean to molex connectors so I will clean those now. (Think I see that in there)

FIXED!!!

{edited for brevity}

11775d1357571129-marshall-dsl40c-gut-shots-4.jpg

Can you send a a bigger pic of the FX board? I am curious if there are any adjustments on it.

Thank you !
Dean

ken361

Reaction score
Anybody using a telecaster on the red 1? my main guitar is a Les paul and I have a MIM HHS strat I use once in a while. I was testing a Tele last week it had a nice roar a tad better over the SSH strat. Is the tone any thicker over a strat at high volumes? they seem pretty close when I played them at the store. Cant swing a upgrade on pups so im talking all stock.

Axeplyr

Reaction score
Anybody using a telecaster on the red 1? my main guitar is a Les paul and I have a MIM HHS strat I use once in a while. I was testing a Tele last week it had a nice roar a tad better over the SSH strat. Is the tone any thicker over a strat at high volumes? they seem pretty close when I played them at the store. Cant swing a upgrade on pups so im talking all stock.

I have a Les Paul, Strat and a couple Teles. The Teles are my favorite in general and through this amp! Teles have a little of everything - they can roar, sing, get bluesy, gritty, and sweet. And everything in between!

I'm thinking the stock pickups will be fine as well... no need for a change.

AxeMaker

Reaction score
No I didn't, thank you very much ! I appreciate it.
There are so many posts and I try to skim past the chat to find relevant info and must have missed it.