The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rlowe

Reaction score
Hello, I Just purchased a $10.00 GE 2527 14 range multimeter to bias my dsl40c. The meter has standard positive-negative test probe (pins) to measure with, and a 500 DC V or 500 AC V peak above earth ground. Functions: DCV with range 10, 250, 500. DCA with range 250m, 10m, 500u. ACV, and OHM. Can I use this meter to check plate voltage negative end of probe resting in chassis screw hole grounding while holding positive to pin#3, and what setting would I use on meter? Also what setting would I use to check the plate current at 3 bias prongs? Thank you! rlowe

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but no.
It's lowest DV voltage range is 10V.
You will not be able to reliably read 20-30 millivolts DC.

tman

Reaction score
Hey all you DSL40C players I came up with a great sounding tube combination for warm,smooth,darker kinda of tone that you can actually use treble and presence for.Its a JJECC83(MID GAIN) in V-1/I have a JJECC83-s in V-2/V-3 is a JJ 5751 lower gain tube/V-4 Sovtek LPS 12ax7.This combination also makes gain way more usuable and gets rid of the fizz.Try it I think you may like it.Let me know what you think if anybody tries this combination.

xlnt

Reaction score
I've had my DSL40C for a few month now, and while playing the volume dropped to barely audible and there was a bunch of popping and crackles. Being my first tube amp, I did a bunch of reading and did my best to check my tubes.

The following are my observations and may be completely normal behavior for the tubes:

The V1 12AX7 glows a LOT brighter than the other three, and makes a harmonic ring sound through the speaker when tapped. V2-V4 make no sounds when tapped.

Both the power tubes have a faint bluish glow when the amp is not on standby, and make a faint rattling noise when tapped. I do not hear anything through the speaker.

Like I said, I'm a tube noob and I don't really know which tube would cause the amp to lose 99% of its volume. (i can get about 30dB with gain and volume at 10) Common sense tells me the power tubes, but I have no real idea.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
If you have a known good 12ax7/ecc83 swap out starting at v1. I bet that's your culprit, shouldn't be microphonic. When swapping power tubes you want to do them in matched pairs and bias the amp. Again I think your v1 is dodgy. Good luck

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Can you guys that own a Dsl40 and have played a dsl50 head say that they more or less hit the dsl40 mark for tones? I want to grab one for the ease of moving it but I can grab a dsl50 head/cab right now as well which I know sound's great. I owned the dsl40 when they came out and didnt give it a chance.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I've had my DSL40C for a few month now, and while playing the volume dropped to barely audible and there was a bunch of popping and crackles. Being my first tube amp, I did a bunch of reading and did my best to check my tubes.

The following are my observations and may be completely normal behavior for the tubes:

The V1 12AX7 glows a LOT brighter than the other three, and makes a harmonic ring sound through the speaker when tapped. V2-V4 make no sounds when tapped.

Both the power tubes have a faint bluish glow when the amp is not on standby, and make a faint rattling noise when tapped. I do not hear anything through the speaker.

Like I said, I'm a tube noob and I don't really know which tube would cause the amp to lose 99% of its volume. (i can get about 30dB with gain and volume at 10) Common sense tells me the power tubes, but I have no real idea.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

I would have to say it's V1. If you tap it and it acts up its almost guaranteed it's gone micro phonic...just change it out.

ledvedder

Reaction score
I have a DSL40c that I'd like to trade for a DSL head. I've come to the conclusion that I'm more of a head guy. I'd also sell it, if anyone's interested. It's in great condition.

jep1210

Reaction score
Hey all you DSL40C players I came up with a great sounding tube combination for warm,smooth,darker kinda of tone that you can actually use treble and presence for.Its a JJECC83(MID GAIN) in V-1/I have a JJECC83-s in V-2/V-3 is a JJ 5751 lower gain tube/V-4 Sovtek LPS 12ax7.This combination also makes gain way more usuable and gets rid of the fizz.Try it I think you may like it.Let me know what you think if anybody tries this combination.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Any chance you can post a clip so we can hear it?

jep1210

Reaction score
FWIW - I used the my DSL40C with my ABB trib band last Fri night - you can check out the C19-modded sound (both stage volume and from the PA) on this YT video my wife shot: The Allman Step Brothers Perform "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed"/EJ Phairs/Pittsburg CA/031513 - YouTube - I'm the guy with the Les Paul gold-top and tie-dye tshirt, you can see my DSL40C behind me and to my left. It is stock except for the C19 mod, which I found really helped. It sounds pretty danged good even through the little mic on the camera. My solo starts at 6:49, you can really hear it there. I was using it on half-power mode with volume about 10 o'clock, gain at about the same, red channel and with the gain switch set for high gain. No distortion or boost pedals, just a volume pedal - it sounds great with my gold-top, of course! Guys in the band loved it!

Dang, that's smooth...tone wise and playing wise. The Allman Bros aren't my thing but your rendition of that song is great and that GT through your DSL is killer....maybe the Allman Bros. ARE my thing :hmm:

J.P.

manofsteel2397

Reaction score
I've owned the dsl40 for about 9 months now, and I only get to play on it a couple times a month, so it took a long time to break it in, but now that the speaker is broken in and I don't get the flub sound anymore ....this amp is awesome. I have the sweetwater cream back special no mods

jep1210

Reaction score
Can someone help me out here? I've read and re-read page one for two days and can't find anything that shows how to measure "plate voltage" to get what 70% should be when biasing. I thought someone (Micky?) said it was on page one, or are we just “blindly” going with plate voltage being 450 (I think that's the number I read SOMEWHERE) without actually checking?

This is a great thread but extremely difficult to navigate, that’s why I’m creating a document with any interesting/useful info I come across. It seems just reading once or twice isn’t making all this great info stick in my pea brain.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
has anybody tried out a scumback speaker in this amp? I've used one before in other amps and it was amazing. Everyone seems to rave about creambacks what about scumbacks? I would love to hear a clip

gemineye76

Reaction score
okay an update on the rig, just because after so many years of messing with so many variations of pedals to get so many sounds here it is:

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio (2003) stripped the "wine red" and went with walnut stain x2, cherry stain x1 quick wipe off then shellac. Kept the gold hardware but flat black on bridge and stop bar and got a custom wood truss-rod cover

Ibanez AEG10NII classical acoustic electric (just got it, LOVE IT!)

Effects:

Micro POG >
Dunlop original Wah (MC404CAE MOD) >
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi (Whizzer twin-toggle MOD) >
EHX Micro Synth >
DOD FX70 Stereo Flanger (vintage 1983) >
MOEN MO-VB2 Shaky Jimi Vibe/Chorus >
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay (Keeley true-bypass MOD) >

Marshall DSL40C (C19 MOD, all JJ EL34 blue power tubes, all JJ ECC803S gold-pin matched balanced hi-performance preamp tubes
- Celestion Vintage 30 (Hellatone 60 by Avatar)
Marshall JCM C12 Extension Cab
- Celestion G12H30 Heritage (Hellatone 30 by Avatar)

no going back, this IS the rig I am sticking with. Though I might consider swapping in a dirty fingers and P94 for the stock 500 and 498 pickups in the Les Paul. geez, I'm never done. Anybody think that is a good idea/bad idea/better idea?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
has anybody tried out a scumback speaker in this amp? I've used one before in other amps and it was amazing. Everyone seems to rave about creambacks what about scumbacks? I would love to hear a clip

I have tried a few Scumback M75's I think they are the G12M copies, and although they are good, the Creamback kicks its ass IMHO! Its thicker, sweeter with more tone overall plus it looks cool and its a Celestion. The only reason I was using the Scums is because Clestion did not have a high power G12M option. And yes, I had the blue frame ones and the black frame ones...no difference that I could tell.

Latest posts