The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone yet tried lowering the B+ voltage just to the preamp tubes by increasing the value of R83? If so, did it work, did it give it more of a warmer brown sound? I did this on my 1989 2558 Jubilee and it worked great and I am wondering if it would work on this amp as well.

As always, we are waiting for you to try it first...

MarshallDog

Reaction score
As always, we are waiting for you to try it first...

LOL...I am sitting here contemplating it. It is an easy mod just a PITA to remove the board and then if I don't like it I have to remove the board again and restore the original resistor.

Another member stated a long time ago that he tried it but it increased the gain to much and he returned it to original but after studying the circuit, I just don't see how that is possible unless he took earlier breakup as added gain...just not sure it is worth the hassle:scratch:

Do you think it is worth upping R83 to either 10K or may 18K? I would probably start st 10K and see what happens??

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Clearsonic shields work to cut the "bullets straight to the ears".
I also will prop a decorative pillow up against the grill cloth. The denser the better.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is worth upping R83 to either 10K or may 18K? I would probably start st 10K and see what happens??

If you are talented with a soldering pencil, you can get it done from the top of the board, depending on component location...

Yes, it is a lot of work. And I think I agree, it may only mean quicker breakup. Kinda like 20W mode...

Blueser

Reaction score
just a thought...

I've had my DSL 40 now for about two weeks. Man I like this amp. I traded a fender blues deluxe for it and haven't looked back.
The first couple of days I had it I messed with all the settings trying to get a good bedroom volume sound. I liked what I heard but it wasn't the tone I expected.
Then we had our regular band practice complete with bass, two guitars, drummer, keys and three vocalists. The volume level is fairly loud and of course I turned up my dsl40. Man that's when the sound came out. My rhythm and leads just sang out with authority.
I've read a lot about guys having trouble getting a good sound at lower volumes but I think this amp is really meant to be played loud. The twenty watt setting is ok for practicing but it sounds great when cranked.
By the way mine is not modded.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
Cool. I will look into attenuators again.

I had it in half power mode for a while, felt it was a little warm/flat. . .full power seems more cutting/articulate/pokey. Plus you get very little reduction in half power mode, volume-wise.

If those youtubers are recording at low volumes too, I must doin' something wrong 'cause my tone doesn't sound like that. Maybe I'm mic'ing the speaker wrong, or, if tone is all in the hands, my hands need to be spanked.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
If you are talented with a soldering pencil, you can get it done from the top of the board, depending on component location...

Yes, it is a lot of work. And I think I agree, it may only mean quicker breakup. Kinda like 20W mode...

If I do it, the plan would be to put stud wires on the board and then putting the resistor on them so I could easily can it to other values if I wanted to, plus I want to save the original resistor just in case...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If I do it, the plan would be to put stud wires on the board and then putting the resistor on them so I could easily can it to other values if I wanted to, plus I want to save the original resistor just in case...

I can't really see anything happening except increasing the gain... But I may be wrong. Sounds like you have a plan, just be careful and don't burn anything up...

All this in the quest for the brown sound...

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I can't really see anything happening except increasing the gain... But I may be wrong. Sounds like you have a plan, just be careful and don't burn anything up...

All this in the quest for the brown sound...

Yes, just a tad bit looser in the direction of a JMP for example. I love the tone now but it is very sharp or lest say has a bite to it.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am most curious to see how it might affect the Ultra channel, I think if it takes the harshness away that would be a good thing, but I have a feeling all it will do is make it break up much earlier and generate way too much gain.

PROVE ME WRONG!

I never realized how well the half power switch worked at that, until I got a chance to crank it outside. Still didn't have the master maxed out, but that sucker is LOUD! Half-power is great in a confined space, the Classic channel is to die for in circumstances like that.

IRG

Reaction score
Hey there,

First post here I believe. I don't have it (yet), but have ordered a new DSL40CST from Sweetwater, the one with the upgraded Celestion Creamback speaker. Quite excited to get it.

This is one long thread, and will take me a while to get through it, if I can, lol. I see starting on page 1, or in 2013, different mods were recommended right off the bat. Are these still necessary for current models in 2015?

I have a great amp modification company right near me, Voodoo amps. I sent them a note today about doing some mods. Anyone do this? I'm not likely to do any myself, just not my thing. One thing they mention on their website is that the gain channel is better at lower volumes. This is important to me, as I'll use this at home more so (much more so) than I will in a live setting. Maybe this will change.

So I write pedal demo's for the Tone Report, part of Proguitarshop.com if anyone is familiar with them. I wanted an amp that sounds great clean, has good drive on its own, and can also get very heavy too. Plus a usable effects loop on which to test reverb/delay/modulation pedals. Seems like this amp will check all the boxes on this.

I'm going to suggest to my editors too, if I go the Voodoo amp route, that I'm able to write an article on this amp, and what certain modifications can do to make it even better. All while being on a "budget". Which is important to me, and a lot of people as well.

Guitars: This summer I changed gears, sold a couple of lower end Epi Les Pauls, and traded a beloved but not played enough, Fender CS Telecaster, for a USA artist grade PRS Custom 24 with some mods from the PS shop. I also have a PRS S2 Standard 22 (all mahogany), a PRS SE Clint Lowery (tuned to drop C), a Fender Classic Player '50s Stratocaster, an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 v3 w/Gibson Burstbucker 1 and 2, and an Epiphone Sheraton with Dimarzio 36 PAFs. And a Taylor DN3 for acoustic. Current amp is a Fender Humboldt Hot Rod v2, and a Mustang III - the two in stereo.

When I get the Marshall I might go back to mono and not stereo, not sure yet. So that's it about me, looking forward to being part of this forum a little bit more. I have much less amp experience than I do pedal or guitar knowledge, but am looking forward to learning more. Cheers!:shred:

ken361

Reaction score
If you run it at bedroom levels just above the zero it sounds really good and loud enough to record. As with every amp I owned theres always sweet bedroom spot, then master at 3 and up is good for loud playing I like 4 to 5 on the red 1 gain 5 to 7. Green crunch master low for bedroom works great and loud playing I like it at 7 gain at 7 also. Cleans max the volume you get a slight nice warm breakup! Only mod I did is change the stock 70/80 speaker and dropped my favorite preamp tubes in. I get a thicker sound on the red channel when the amps set a few feet from a wall.

Reactions: IRG

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes you do not necessarily have to mod it, once the Creamback is broken in and possibly some different pre tubes, depending on taste, it's a great amp. The difference in EQ between channels is less noticeable both when turned up and if C19 is clipped. I did that and am happy as I switch channels often. Personal taste though!

On a budget, you can get very useable, excellent Marshall tones for home and gigging and do not have to mod the heck out of it. There are some members here who like the 40C tonally better than their JVM. Welcome to the forum, tons of knowledhe here!!
cheers.

IRG

Reaction score
So the preamp tubes have a bigger impact upon replacement than the EL34? Checking out some Mullard replacements, nothing fancy or high end, but the basic ones.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Usually to the tone, yeah. Running it up where you have power tube distortion will show more of the power tube characteristics. Mullard would be an OK thing to try, the 12AX7 are also relatively cheap. Try a couple types once you've played tha amp a bit - Mullard RI, TungSol, EH etc

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I finally did it...I'll call it the DSL40C Pre-Amp B+ Mod.

I removed R83 and replaced it with a 2W 10K resistor and all I can say is WOW! I played it last night for about 1.5 hours with and without OD pedals and at high and low volumes and it sounds fantastic IMO. It is a very subtle change and about the only way I can describe it is that it did not affect the gain at all, it did not take away any cut to the tone it just seemed to soften the edges of the notes making then sound not so sharp. To me it sounds a bit more like an old JMP. I wish I would have done this long ago and am glad I finally got off my ass and did it. I put the resistor on studs so I can change it easily if I want thinking I may want to try an 18K resistor BUT I think that might be way to much and for now I am really happy with it and cant see me putting it back to the 4.7K resistor for any reason.

Here are the voltages I measured on pins 1 and 6 to chassis before and after the mod:

STOCK: 10K R83:
V1a=220 V1a=201
V1b=213 V1b=194

V2a=242 V2a=222
V2b=221 V2b=203

V3a=189 V3a=172
V3b=368 V3b=340

V4a=233 V4a=213
V4b=237 V4b=218

It really makes the Ultra Channel sound good. Now keep in mind these are my other mods:

Choke added. C4 gone, C19 gone, Celestion G12M-65 Creamback upgrade, several tone path capacitor up grades (same value caps just better quality), tube shields and I am running the JJ ECC803S (long plate) in V1 and V4 for a richer tone and a JAN-GE 5751 in V2 and V3 to reduce the gain especially on the Ultra channel.

With this set up, I run the crunch channel in clean mode gain on 9 and I can then set Ultra 1 to my crunch channel with the gain on 4 getting me that nice AC/DC classic rock tone and even a nice blues tone with the guitar volume turned down a bit. I just like to have a dedicated clean and dirty channel. If I want more gain, I can simply crank the gain on Ultra 1 or turn on one of my OD pedals.

My EQ settings are:
T=3.5
M=6
B=5
P=4
R=5

Attachments

• DSL40C PICS 005.jpg
    DSL40C PICS 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 25

mojorising

Reaction score
Can anyone point out where C91 is located on the DSL4oC, I cannot seem to locate it on the board. I found it on the print but not on the board. Any thoughts?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point out where C91 is located on the DSL4oC, I cannot seem to locate it on the board. I found it on the print but not on the board. Any thoughts?

Do you mean C19? (not 91?)

There are photos at the beginning of this thread.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Here is a pic of mine and C19m is on the bottom just to the left of center with one leg lifted.

Attachments

• Marshall DSL 40C PICS 003.jpg
    Marshall DSL 40C PICS 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20

mojorising

Reaction score
No, I mean C91 according to this post.

So here's the list:
C4 removed
C5 to .001uF
C19 to 180pF
C50, 51, 54 to Mallory 150 22nF 630V