The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Natedog_37

Reaction score
Well finally tried my Digitech GNX4 with the amp, Amp/cab sims turned off. "Just effects on"

I ran it right though the loope and it was ok. Then ran it into the front of the amp and I am in love.

Will say I really love it just have to setup the volume pedal on the GNX, and get my wah wah into the effect chain.

So far everyone that has heard this setup has loved it. Once we record a song with it I will post a sample.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally tried my Digitech GNX4 with the amp, Amp/cab sims turned off. "Just effects on"

I ran it right though the loope and it was ok. Then ran it into the front of the amp and I am in love.

Will say I really love it just have to setup the volume pedal on the GNX, and get my wah wah into the effect chain.

So far everyone that has heard this setup has loved it. Once we record a song with it I will post a sample.

A lot of people don't realize just how versatile this amp really is...

Oldpunk

Reaction score
So versatile is right! The more time I spend with mine the more it blows me away.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Mine came from factory biased at 25 and 32 mA per tube.
My friend adjusted them to 38 per tube.

tman

Reaction score
This amp is freakin amazing!! Lots of versatility and the tone is great!! I have the Creamback speaker in mine and it sounds awesome. I also did some preamp tube swapping.For now I have it Mullard cv4004 RI V-1/V-2EH12ax7/V-3/4 JJ's but will be switching to V-1(TAD 7025 WA)in place of the 12ax7/V-2 the Mullard v-3 JJ and V-4(PI) Sovtek 12ax7LPS after conculting with MARTYSTRAT54 he is a tube wizz and I just ordered those a few days ago. I am getting EL34 MULLARDS for standby for the power tubes.

Bownse

Reaction score
When one of my TAD power tubes went tango uniform, I swapped in the OEM Marshalls long enough to practice a few days and make arrangements to have a pro check out everything (since i bought it used).

Amp checked fine. He cleaned the tube sockets and pots as routine.

Sure enough one of the TAD power tubes was stone cold dead. The other was not serviceable.

The OEM Marshall power tubes tested weak (no surprise).

The new TADs tested very good.

He also tested all the pre-amp tubes and found one of the new-ish (2 months old) TADs was questionable so swapped in a new one (same TAD) that he had in stock.

He's only at his shop near me on Wednesdays, so I can drive the 60 miles rt or wait until next Wed to pick it up. I'll report back how it sounds when I get it next Wed.

He's an amp guy instead of a luthier that does amps as a distraction. He mods and services amps and boards.

Last edited:

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Hotter bias made it gainier.
I play mostly on Crunch.
Before I had the gain on 10. Now at 8 its about the same.

BUT: now some of my bent E string high notes have a bad ghost note. Some nasty tone riding with the note.

Last edited:

Ranger911

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to get a Silver Jubilee sound from their DSL40C I just found that you can get it really close.

Background
I have a DSL40C with no mods other than changing the stock speaker with a V30. Over the last few days I have had a Silver Jubilee reissue head at my disposal. I decided I would try and match its sound on the DSL40C so I connected the Jubilee to the DSL40C internal speaker to keep the comparison simple.

Settings
The Jubilee was set to get its thickest distortion sound while keeping the Presence, Treble, Mid and Bass all on 5. The Lead Master and Input Gain were both on 10. The Rhythm Clip was in and the Output Master Volume was on 3.

After going back and forth between the two amps for several hours over two days here is where the DSL40C sounds remarkably like the Jubilee. Set the Presence, Resonance, Classic and Ultra Reverb to 0. Use the Lead 1 Ultra Gain channel with the gain on 5. Volume was set to 3. The Treble and Mid should be set to 2. Set the Bass to 5 and now for the big secret... engage the Tone Shift (In). That was my big ah ha moment. The Jubilee is fairly nasal sounding.

These settings were counterintuitive to me but it sounds pretty cool. See what you think.

I will add that the Jubilee was set to 100 watt mode and the DSL was set to 40 watt mode. The Jubilee has just a hint of more growl.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I thought mine had a Jube flavor in the Lead 1 Ultra Gain (stock speaker)
The Jube and V30's were made for each other and I bet the speaker helps.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Cool tip! I'm gonna try that with my 2558 Jube and the 40C. Tone shift seems to suck a fat one but hey, gotta try it and listen!!

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
Tried those settings . . .sounds pretty cool in my tiny hard floored living room, with a WGS Vet 30. I have no idea what a Silver Jubilee sounds like in person so can't comment on accuracy. I added a little presence (1) 'cause it seemed just a little too dull.

My experience is what sounds like ear piercing treble in tiny hard floored living room sounds a lot duller at a venue, so who knows if this works live. Also haven't tried it playing with someone else (i.e. in a mix)

Ranger911

Reaction score
It was an interesting experiment. Having owned a JMP 50 watt, I am quite familiar with that sound through a cabinet so I thought it would be interesting to run the Jubilee through the DSL40C speaker and cab and see what I was dealing with. The most striking observation was how much more focused the Jubilee sounded, even with everything set to noon. I assumed that the open back and small cab size would make this Jubilee sound airy and a bit thinner but in reality the DSL40C cabinet played a minuscule role in that regard. What I found was that the DSL40C’s voice is more trebly, airy and reflective than the Jubilee, which I would describe as considerably more focused with far less airiness to it and even a nasaly tone. To counteract this I found I had to take out all of the presence, cut the treble way down and even cut the mids way down. The mids on the DSL40C are bright by comparison. It is really not the open back cabinet that gives the DSL40C its distinct sound. I'm not suggesting that plugging the DSL40C into a cab wouldn't help thicken it up because it certainly would but I would recommend cutting the treble, mid and presence (by more than you normally would) and you will have a tone that is right there with these more legendary heads.

Two other things worth mentioning: by activating the tone shift it killed off the last bit of airiness or openness that the DSL40C has in the mids as compared to the Jubilee. I also expected to have to dial in some amount of Resonance. In fact I had always liked adding in the Resonance up to about 6 or 7 but with the direct comparison to the Jubilee -- it has no Resonance frequency at all. Now I think of the Resonance as a bit of a gimmick. It was interesting to me for a while but now I think of it as an effect, which in fairness to Marshall that is all they are saying it is. I just never totally put the Resonance effect in its rightful place in my mind.

Last edited:

Jscully

Reaction score
Hi
I love this amp! I played it out last night and fantastic all around.
I have a question though, when I switch channels with the foots witch, I get a loud PPP, especially going back to ultra gain.
Would that be a problem with the amp or the foot switch?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
No need for duplicate threads, just have patience...

Do you have a pedal or pedalboard plugged into the front of the amp?
Does it do this with every guitar?
Does it do this plugged directly into the amp with no FX?

Latest posts