The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mojorising

Reaction score
Quick question about ohms and speakers. I am using Creamback (16 ohms) plugged into the DSL (of course right…) any way I have another cab that houses an 8 ohm speaker, can I keep the Creamback plugged in and connect the 8 ohm speaker by plugging it into one of the 8 ohm jacks? And does it matter which one?

So basically I would be running one 16 and one 8 ohm speaker at the same time…can that be done correctly and safely?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
No. You can use a single 16-ohm speaker plugged into the 16-ohm jack.
You can use an 8-ohm speaker plugged into one of the 8-ohm jacks.
Or you can use 2 16-ohm speakers plugged into both of the 8-ohm jacks.

When you plug something into the 16-ohm jack, it disables the others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
theres a bazillion pedals out there for that you just gotta reserch and pick whats good for you

Boosting as in use an overdrive, and set the Volume or Level control on it high or full and set Gain to zero. That way you are pushingvthe heck out of the input thus increasing distortion dramatically but not using much of the pedal's distortion, just pushing tubes!!

vhToneChaser

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a proud DSL40C owner, and the amp runs fine...
-apart from one problem:
The amp plays just fine for between 5-45 minutes, but then all sound just completely cuts out.
The only way to fix it is turn it off and on again.
Even after i restart the amp, this continues to happen.

Has anybody experienced or even better, solved this problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am going to change the speaker.
-I am thinking a Vintage 30, unless anyone has any better suggestions.
Speaker suggestions will also be greatly appreciated.
If it helps, I am looking for an early Brown Sound (my username probably gives that away).

My guitars are:
Kramer Pacer classic (Candy Red)
Gibson Les Paul Signature (2014)

Thanks in advance,
Rock on DSL users. :slash::hbang:

HAmmer

Reaction score
Boosting as in use an overdrive, and set the Volume or Level control on it high or full and set Gain to zero. That way you are pushingvthe heck out of the input thus increasing distortion dramatically but not using much of the pedal's distortion, just pushing tubes!!

great tip, Thx

rlowe

Reaction score
Hello, I have owned the dsl40c for almost 7 months. At roughly 5 months 2 stock preamp tubes went bad. Marshall replaced them barely out of warranty with 2 white marshall labeled Shuguang's these tubes are harsh!. Soon one of the shuguang's went bad. I would still
play periodically (not the best of tone), then I started getting loud popping, scratchy sounds when I turned my amp on, and until it warmed up. I ordered a new set of four preamp tubes from Doug's tubes installed them using electrical contact cleaner on pins, but the popping and scratching sound is still there! Amazingly these new preamp tubes sound fantastic (4 pk. tone kit). The whole amp sounds great! Just the popping and scratching sounds at start up. Any suggestion's? Thank you!rlowe

ken361

Reaction score
Tortex med's yellow picks sound awful on the red so bright and that. I like Ultex .96 or my V pick Tradition UL makes a world of difference

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Tortex med's yellow picks sound awful on the red so bright and that. I like Ultex .96 or my V pick Tradition UL makes a world of difference

Picks make more of a difference than people think. They account for a lot of the tone thats being projected, its where the rubber meets the road. The thicker the better IMO. I only use wegen BG 1.4mm and blue chip TP1R 50's...They're pricey but so worth it. Meaty tone and gone is any pick noise and they literally glide across the strings, Smooth as butter. Cheap picks = cheap tone.

ken361

Reaction score
cheap picks crap tone:) the V pick really smooths the highs nicely compared to the tortex, the ultex is really similar. Love to try the blue chip

rlowe

Reaction score
I would estimate the power tubes are the problem. Tapped both with wooden rod and they both responded scratchy as hell. Will put in new power tubes then bias. Thank you! rlowe