The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I probably wasn't specific enough in my first post but it's not that I can't get a good tone it's that I can't get a good rhythm tone at loud volumes. I'm thinking a hard rock van Halen type of sound. When I play leads with the volume up on the red channel it sounds great. The crunch channel didn't have enough gain for me so maybe I can get an overdrive pedal and use that as my rhythm sound and have the red channel as my lead? Sorry if I'm rambling
I use a Bad Monkey OD pedal up front because I need more distortion on the green channel. Then the gain goes down to 4 ish on the red Lead 1 channel. This is at lower volumes. Works great and you can turn the pedal off if you wish for more tones.

rodd

Reaction score
I am looking and I just about went to the vintage 30, reading on Celestrion web site and others have said good results. I use a fender strat ( single coils ). Im in NZ and those speakers need to be shipped overseas here.
(RE: the Knopfler message on the speakers chioces of vintage 30 creamback 12M 65 and 12H 75).

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Vintage 30 or Creamback? Either is a good choice, personally I think the creamback works better in the combo with it being an open back. I did try mine through a Mesa cab which has v30s and was blown away, closed back cab though.....YMMV.

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
Im quite confused about the whole speaker cab thing.. In theory, if I go get a 1960 4x12, and set it to 16 ohm. Can't I just plug it into the 16 ohm jack? What if I want to run the cabinet and a 4x12? Is that even possible? What would I set the cab to ohm-wise?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Plug a single 16-ohm speaker or cab into the 16-ohm output.
Plug a single 8-ohm speaker or cab into one of the 8-ohm outputs.
Plug 2 X 16-ohm speakers or cabs into the 8-ohm outputs. (8-ohm total load)

You cannot safely run an 8-ohm speaker and a 16-ohm speaker together.
You cannot safely run 2 X 8-ohm speakers or cabs together.
Besides, when you plug something into either 8-ohm output, it disconnects the 16-ohm output

Last edited:

Knopfler

Reaction score
Vintage 30 or Creamback? Either is a good choice, personally I think the creamback works better in the combo with it being an open back. I did try mine through a Mesa cab which has v30s and was blown away, closed back cab though.....YMMV.

------------My guitar es a Epiphone Les Paul 1959.

Then, Creamback G12M-65 or Creamback G12H-75??

:hmm:

Reaction score
Hello All,
Picked up my DSL40C about seven months ago and love it. I had been a Fender amp guy forever. I should have done this a long time ago. I could have saved myself a bunch of money on pedals, trying to make my Fender amp sound like a Marshall.

I do my own amp work and hope I can make a worthy contribution to the forum. Lots of awesome and knowledgeable people here.

When I got my amp I lifted C19 and installed a Vintage 30. It definitely got rid of the fizz but the Red 1 channel turned very dark and the lows were quite muddy with my PRS SE Soapbar. I figured I would give it a chance and left it that way for seven months. I just changed out the Vintage 30 for a G12M-65 Creamback. Oh yeah, that works for me. The tone balance between the clean and red channel is now very well balanced now. And no more mud. Anyway, nothing new or earth shattering, just an observation.

Yes, I've read every single page and post in this thread. :) Ton's of good stuff.

Rock on, brothers and sisters,
Willie

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
Is there any trick to removing the chassis? The transformer on one side is butting up against the inner trim piece, I guess I could loosen the transformer screws, and slide it as it has elongated screw holes, but was wondering if there is an easier way.

Thanks

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any trick to removing the chassis? The transformer on one side is butting up against the inner trim piece, I guess I could loosen the transformer screws, and slide it as it has elongated screw holes, but was wondering if there is an easier way.

Thanks

It should wiggle out easily.
Has the transformer been replaced?

You can try turning it upside down (handle down) and sliding it out that way...

Once you get it, it becomes much easier after that...

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
This is what is going on.it's hitting that wood on the side. My untrained eye aside, I can't see any indication that it was replaced.

Attachments

• 1444224723910.jpg
    1444224723910.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
This is what is going on.it's hitting that wood on the side. My untrained eye aside, I can't see any indication that it was replaced.

Like others have mentioned, it is a bit tight but should come out with a little wiggle. Laying the amp face down may help.

Willie

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
I got it out. Just forced it a bit, the cab stretched but nothing broke. C19 mod complete! Amp is back together and working!

Thanks for the replies.

Knopfler

Reaction score
Hello All,
When I got my amp I lifted C19 and installed a Vintage 30. It definitely got rid of the fizz but the Red 1 channel turned very dark and the lows were quite muddy with my PRS SE Soapbar. I figured I would give it a chance and left it that way for seven months. I just changed out the Vintage 30 for a G12M-65 Creamback. Oh yeah, that works for me. The tone balance between the clean and red channel is now very well balanced now. And no more mud. Anyway, nothing new or earth shattering, just an observation.

Yes, I've read every single page and post in this thread. :) Ton's of good stuff.

------------Ok, Thank you, so much! I'll think about it.

Celestion G12M-65 Creamback 16 Ohm - Thomann España

97dB

Celestion G12H-75 Creamback 16 Ohm - Thomann España

100dB

G12H 75 have more power

A link (in Spanish, sorry) it's interesting:

http://media.djmania.es/guias/celestion.pdf

Cheers

Natedog_37

Reaction score
Just bought a TC Electronic Spark Booster thinking this should work for my boost needs and a little more.

Knopfler

Reaction score

Are all celestion speakers now made in China or UK?

I'm Spanish , I 'll buy to Thomann.., I think,

Natedog_37

Reaction score
If you throw it in the loop as a volume boost. Not sure how it'd work up front, might be great.

That is what I was thinking. I seem a lot of reviews some run it right into the front and some in the loop. It was on sale and for the tone I was hearing online and what it can do just couldn't pass it up.

ken361

Reaction score
I tried a good mogami cable and a old crap cable in the loop, it was horrible for killing the tone. Best bet using two3 feet cables would be best.

Rahlstin

Reaction score
Not all Celestions. the G12M65CB's I bought are made in UK. The G12M25's I had were Chinese mfg. But they sounded good. Not as good as the creamback 65's but I don't know if location has anything to do with that.