The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
I started buying tubes 8 years ago and collected a bunch
over the years and always use my favorite ones in my new amps and play like 2 hours a day

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a microphonic tube.
Label it or throw it away so you don't end up using it again.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Ok so far so good! dropped a brand new Tungsol in the v1 and the old PI in, there was a little static and keep jamming. Then I tapped the top of the amp with no issues then I put the other PI tube I was using and no problems. Then I tried the old Tungsol in the v2 and there was some hum and the tube seem worn a bit and lower gain so I think that was the bad one! Glad Marshall didn't let me down so far at least:) I had a lot of mileage on my tubes.

Bad pre amp tube most likely V1. I had two of them go in the last 6 months on my Jubilee, hum at at higher volumes and or gain levels. Luckily, i buy all my tubes from the tube store nod they are sending me two new ones at no charge:yesway:

ricky711

Reaction score
After having clipped C19 and not liking it, installing a 100pf is the ticket! Axeplyr is right on. That and a V-type speaker have transformed the amp. i tried the Creamback and it really didn't blow me away as I thought it would. An older English Greenback sounded way better but it's only 25 watts. I'm checking out a Weber Legacy next week.

ken361

Reaction score
After having clipped C19 and not liking it, installing a 100pf is the ticket! Axeplyr is right on. That and a V-type speaker have transformed the amp. i tried the Creamback and it really didn't blow me away as I thought it would. An older English Greenback sounded way better but it's only 25 watts. I'm checking out a Weber Legacy next week.

One guy on here liked the V type the best also

wallinbb

Reaction score
I need your advice. I love my Les Paul Traditional through my DSL40c with Creamback. I also love it through my external cab (a V30 in a Dr Z 1x12). Both setups sound amazing!

My issue: I think the bass pot on my DSL40c may be bad. From 0 to 3 it is almost nonexistent, but when slightly past 3 the bass jumps up a ton and gets super flubby, almost unusable.

Does anyone else have this issue?

If so, did you find a remedy?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ken361

Reaction score
I need your advice. I love my Les Paul Traditional through my DSL40c with Creamback. I also love it through my external cab (a V30 in a Dr Z 1x12). Both setups sound amazing!

My issue: I think the bass pot on my DSL40c may be bad. From 0 to 3 it is almost nonexistent, but when slightly past 3 the bass jumps up a ton and gets super flubby, almost unusable.

Does anyone else have this issue?

If so, did you find a remedy?

Thanks in advance for your help!

No issues here

obiwan7373

Reaction score

I use the Weber Legacy speakers. Like them a lot, definitely give them a listen. :hbang:

ken361

Reaction score
Sorry I made a mistake about cables in the loop, I was trying a Crunchy frog pedal for some reason in the loop to see how it sounds. It just dawned on me only modulation belong there. Any ways I picked up a really good delay for cheap on a trade, its a Caline Time Space Delay, it works really good in the loop for leads and VH type stuff. These pedals are like 23.00 and up on Amazon and sound good and natural and least at low playing volumes. I have to try it loud to see if it interferes with my distortion channel. I had a boss years ago with the JVM and didnt like it that much, DSL has a good loops it seems like.

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
I finally got my dsl40c running at my church and it sounds beautiful. I noticed it was running wan. Like the back of the amp warms up quite a bit.that is normal right? I know tubes are scolding got just wanted to make sure its normal for it to warm up. The power tubes are stock and the label reads they are biased at 40mv.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I finally got my dsl40c running at my church and it sounds beautiful. I noticed it was running wan. Like the back of the amp warms up quite a bit.that is normal right? I know tubes are scolding got just wanted to make sure its normal for it to warm up. The power tubes are stock and the label reads they are biased at 40mv.

Getting warm is normal for tube amps...

Bownse

Reaction score
I cut off the heat to my practice room in the winter. If I close to the door as a courtesy to others in the house, I may be breaking a sweat by the end of the session. Leaving the room it's noticeably warmer than the rest of the house (with heat).

tattymatt

Reaction score
Just purchased my very first Marshall (DSL40c). Absolutely love this amp! All that said, I am a noob to this site and Marshall amps. I am curious to know what others have used as far as pedals are concerned to help compliment this amp? I hope this is the right spot by the way.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Many new members put a post in the Introduce Yourself section where they can tell us all a little about themselves, such as the music they play etc.

The 40c takes all pedals equally well, and I am sure if you tell us a little about yourself others will chime in with some recommendations.

Igtar_Pro

Reaction score
Hi, I changed the seventy 80 speaker. It was replaced by a celstion vintage 30:

35jjuba.jpg

k9hy84.jpg

2q8wr6h.jpg

The sound gets a lot better.

I`m thinking in replace the first preamp tube by a groove 12ax7, has someone tried it?

ricky711

Reaction score
Speaker swap is probably the first and best thing that can be done with this amp. I've tried Greenbacks, Creamback, V-type, Eminence, now waiting on a Weber Legacy. All have been a big improvement. Marshall used the 70/80 to keep costs down. Vox uses it in the AC15VR for the same reason. I didn't have a V30 to try,but lots of people seem to like it. I did some preamp tube swapping but went back to the stock tubes. They have good gain and low microphonics.

Knopfler

Reaction score
Speaker swap is probably the first and best thing that can be done with this amp. I've tried Greenbacks, Creamback, V-type, Eminence, now waiting on a Weber Legacy. All have been a big improvement. Marshall used the 70/80 to keep costs down. Vox uses it in the AC15VR for the same reason. I didn't have a V30 to try,but lots of people seem to like it. I did some preamp tube swapping but went back to the stock tubes. They have good gain and low microphonics.

Which of them is your favorite speaker? :hmm:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The sound gets a lot better.

I`m thinking in replace the first preamp tube by a groove 12ax7, has someone tried it?

I think the current GT tubes are made by JJs which are the stock tubes in your unit. Should be no difference tonally. Try a Tung Sol or Chinese (Ruby etc) and see depending what you're after.