• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
wondering if its necessary to to check the plate voltage on both power tubes or one is fine enough thanks

Reaction score
I always check both just to make sure there is no weirdness going on. I usually see a difference of a volt or two.

Willie

ken361

Reaction score
A friend helped me last time he had the tube socket, I need to get a inexpensive meter might go with tube depot and get the socket also. One of the wires i think it was the red seemed iffy touching it,kinda hard getting to it with the prob thats why I should get the socket I feel safer:) think the brown wire was easier getting too. Have to look at it again. Thanks again

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
A friend helped me last time he had the tube socket, I need to get a inexpensive meter might go with tube depot and get the socket also. One of the wires i think it was the red seemed iffy touching it,kinda hard getting to it with the prob thats why I should get the socket I feel safer:) think the brown wire was easier getting too. Have to look at it again. Thanks again

I use the Weber BiasRite meter. Its easy, safe and not that expensive.

rlowe

Reaction score
Seriously ? Which channel, which setting?
I use the green (clean) channel with a high output (is what I use) overdrive. You can use any od i.e. tube screamer. Maybe boost the green (crunch) channel with one of these pedals. The green channels sound more dynamic or organic when boosted with a good pedal. Yes Indeed!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I use the green (clean) channel with a high output (is what I use) overdrive. You can use any od i.e. tube screamer. Maybe boost the green (crunch) channel with one of these pedals. The green channels sound more dynamic or organic when boosted with a good pedal. Yes Indeed!
Good to hear. I also prefer the green & clean with my O/D pedals however the LP is rather dark sounding in comparison to say ZZ in 1980
I've got a Treble Booster on the way and that may be just what the Reverend ordered. lol.
Thanks for the reply.
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I've been liking the flexibility of my TC Electronics, John Petrucci Dreamscape.

Lots of shaping options but also bright/normal/dark tone switching.

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-tc-electronic-john-petrucci-dreamscape-signature-toneprint-pedal
Thank you Bownse ! I recently purchased what I think is the best sounding O/D I have ever heard, being the Wampler Tumnus.
I've been watching this ZZ show from 1980 the DVD called Live In Germany 1980 and the Les Paul sounds kind of, for want of a better word " light ", or maybe lacking in the lower register to some extent. Mr Gibbons was known to use the Dallas Range Master Treble boost.
Of course that effect was used by many notables such as Eric Clapton, Brian May. Jeff Beck and more than likely Jimmy Page.
I thought I'd give it a whirl. I chose the Analogman Beano.
Sorry guys..I shouldn't be talking effects in the DSL 40C! Just trying to learn the best settings with the DSL 40C
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score

Allaeius

Reaction score
I've found that choosing a short amp stand avoids interference. I think the fan would break before the amp would though.

;)
I do kinda like having the amp slightly facing upwards towards my head, gives me a better idea of the sound. Would that have the same effect as using a stand amp though? I mean, in a way that it "avoids interference"?

rlowe

Reaction score
Good to hear. I also prefer the green & clean with my O/D pedals however the LP is rather dark sounding in comparison to say ZZ in 1980
I've got a Treble Booster on the way and that may be just what the Reverend ordered. lol.
Thanks for the reply.
BP
I use this pedal as an xtra on my board. High output more of an upper midrange. Based on old Klon pedal. Review:

rlowe

Reaction score
I do kinda like having the amp slightly facing upwards towards my head, gives me a better idea of the sound. Would that have the same effect as using a stand amp though? I mean, in a way that it "avoids interference"?
I dont know about the fan part of the conversation, but I do know from experience that putting an amp (dsl 40c) on a stand not touching the floor IMHO does not sound as good. It loses bass, range, and that dsl clarity that makes the amp sound good. If you keep the amp slightly tilted, but still touching the floor you will still keep this clarity of sound. Just like apples and oranges! which do you prefer.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I do use an amp stand with my DSL40 and have not noticed an inferior sound when compared to a floor based amp.
In fact rather than the sound hitting my ankles and back of the knees it is more elevated and the sound is reaching my ears more directly. It lends to the crispness and clarity, for my taste.
As an added plus the amps controls are right at finger tip level if this has any relevance. lol

Bownse

Reaction score
I dont know about the fan part of the conversation

it was meant as a joke. clearly i was too subtle.

as in PHYSICAL interferance because the stand was so tall the blades of the fan hit it.

Nevermind...

rlowe

Reaction score
it was meant as a joke. clearly i was too subtle.

as in PHYSICAL interferance because the stand was so tall the blades of the fan hit it.

Nevermind...
Ahh! that was it... but if you could train those blades to keep a beat then you would be in business!