• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EricDunno

Reaction score
I see, thank you guys for your quick answer! I meant 'the best' as your personal experience. :)
thank you for that table, it is uberly helpful.

Bownse

Reaction score
I knew that would be the only solution for me over the long term to remember what changes I had made and the differences they made.

DSL40c Knob Settings:
G-1, V, 6, G-4, V-2, T/M/B-3, P/R-0, C/U-10

E-H Silencer (clock setings):
V-10, TOP BOOST-11, TREB-11, MID-1, BASS-2, DIST-2, BOOST-OFF

Nails the intro tone of Alice Cooper's, "No More Mr. Nice Guy".

Strat on just the bridge pickup. LP Trad Pro2 with Wolftone PUs and OiP caps, just needed to use the volume and +10dB boost of the guitar and was there too (with the LPs more warmth). Switch in full up position. Diddle with the tone knobs as needed for fine tuning. Volumes as close to 11 as I can get if anyone else is in the house.

I won't insult anyone by uploading a sound file. It me and not the equipment at this point.

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
Pushing the clean channel with the dynacomp is pretty awesome! Its loud and crunchy and clear!Stratocaster fat 50's bridge 6th string single notes get bassy some though

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crank the gain on the green clean channel and then put your OD pedals in front to boost. Experiment with them. There is another world of classic tones to be had.

High gain players ignore this.LOL

ken361

Reaction score
What are you guys setting the bias at right at 70% dissipation or cooler some? For right now 475 plate voltage my bias is now 36.2, 36.8 is 70% I was running it 34.. most of the year though.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
What are you guys setting the bias at right at 70% dissipation or cooler some? For right now 475 plate voltage my bias is now 36.2, 36.8 is 70% I was running it 34.. most of the year though.
\
Ken..Did your come off the shop floor at 34 ? Mine did and my tech said if that's the way the factory set it that's the way it's supposed to be. I know most like to run hotter than that but I'm happy with what I'm getting.
I prolly wouldn't be able to tell the diff between running at 34 & 36 anyway

ken361

Reaction score
\
Ken..Did your come off the shop floor at 34 ? Mine did and my tech said if that's the way the factory set it that's the way it's supposed to be. I know most like to run hotter than that but I'm happy with what I'm getting.
I prolly wouldn't be able to tell the diff between running at 34 & 36 anyway
I didnt measure it, just bought a set of tubes to diagnose a hum and it was a bad tube causing it! ended up biasing it later that week. Now I have my own meter and doing it myself now:) monday I set it 36.2 with new tubes and rechecked it sunday and one drifted to 36.8 so I brought that back down. Depends what your plate voltage so 36 might be right at house and 34 be right for here. Not much though:) you dont have to be at 70% can go cooler though.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came biased at 36mv out of the box. Which is where I like it. I'll run it anywhere from 33mv to 36mv. Depends on tubes and feel I prefer.

I like running my DSL's at 65% to 70% dissipation. My PV was around 450. I think?LOL It's been awhile since I checked and I'm old and forgetful.

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Mine came biased at 36mv out of the box. Which is where I like it. I'll run it anywhere from 33mv to 36mv. Depends on tubes and feel I prefer.

I like running my DSL's at 65% to 70% dissipation. My PV was around 450. I think?LOL It's been awhile since I checked and I'm old and forgetful.

One hopes so old as to not enjoy a bit o' panty dropping every now and then? lmao

ken361

Reaction score

prb a good idea to recheck it in a few months since there new tubes

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
prb a good idea to recheck it in a few months since there new tubes

Man I was checking mine at least once a week. Tried other power tubes. Bias was pretty solid throughout. I just brought it out again to play and it's sounding great...although I have a noisy preamp tube. Will fix that when it bothers me a bit more. Just a bit of static right now.LOL

ken361

Reaction score
Man I was checking mine at least once a week. Tried other power tubes. Bias was pretty solid throughout. I just brought it out again to play and it's sounding great...although I have a noisy preamp tube. Will fix that when it bothers me a bit more. Just a bit of static right now.LOL
Contact cleaner works for me well:)

kev67

Reaction score
Dsl40c newbie here ;) Im currently wading through this thread (page 92 i think)
The Dsl is my first marshall tube amp (apart from SS) Peavey VK100 and Orange Rockerverb 100 were my previous tube amps.

Its about 10 months old and paid £280 :applause:
Noticed that fizzy crap in the ultra channels and got pointed to this thread.
So far ive just been trying different settings but checked the bias (39/43) so just set it to 38 for now while im learning the amp.
Not that keen on the stock speaker so will be replacing that i reckon.
Oh and i got advised off a mate to do the c19 mod....
I played mine side by side with his and noticed the difference straight away so did the clipped the c19... what can i say.. loads better to me...

Back to the speakers.. any recommendations for one that will be ok for multi genre playing?

cheers for the thread guys

ken361

Reaction score
Dsl40c newbie here ;) Im currently wading through this thread (page 92 i think)
The Dsl is my first marshall tube amp (apart from SS) Peavey VK100 and Orange Rockerverb 100 were my previous tube amps.

Its about 10 months old and paid £280 :applause:
Noticed that fizzy crap in the ultra channels and got pointed to this thread.
So far ive just been trying different settings but checked the bias (39/43) so just set it to 38 for now while im learning the amp.
Not that keen on the stock speaker so will be replacing that i reckon.
Oh and i got advised off a mate to do the c19 mod....
I played mine side by side with his and noticed the difference straight away so did the clipped the c19... what can i say.. loads better to me...

Back to the speakers.. any recommendations for one that will be ok for multi genre playing?

cheers for the thread guys
Most like the creamback speaker, did you play loud against your mates amp when you compared the amps?

kev67

Reaction score
Most like the creamback speaker, did you play loud against your mates amp when you compared the amps?
Did my usual 9 oclock home jamming and went upto about 12...

Sounded well nice cranking it up (was on the 20w triode) forgot to try it on 40 :D
As i will be using it at home too, thought the c19 mod would be beneficial to me?

First time that ive had a valve combo, always had 2 or 4x12's so on the learning curve :D

I wasn't going to bother with the stock speaker that much and just use it through a cab... having less weight to carry about makes my bad back happy so will be looking more into the sounds coming from the combo

ken361

Reaction score
I have not cut the c19, does it make a difference loud? some say the cap makes the difference only at lower playing

Latest posts