The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Put all the JJ tubes back in this time I biased the JJ E34L at 40mA, best i have heard them set at this bias level. DSL40C using 4 ECC83S and a pair of JJ E34L. Speaker is a Celestion V-Type, this speaker i really starting to come alive now!

Last edited:

Derald

Reaction score
I just got a new to me DSL40 in mint shape. I noticed the back had never been taken off. It still had the factory Marshall branded tubes. I changed out V1 and V2. In their placed I a JJ ECCC823 in V1 and a 5751 in V2.

I spent about a day dialing in the amp, and it sounds amazing. The Red channel is now usable for a low-gain player like me. Hardly any amp hiss or noise. I run the amp into a reactive load box and use IR cabinets for recording.

Compared to my Vintage Modern, this DSL40 is pretty damn close to the 'vintage' tone I want. Its also about 25# lighter and smaller than the Vintage Modern so I can carry it around easier.

I run the green channel with the 'crunch' engaged with the gain on about 5 and volume at maximum (when running into the load box). Sweet AC/DC crunch sound. The Red channel has more gain and less bottom end but gets that lead ACDC, Thin Lizzy tone without being way over the top in gain and amp buzz/hiss. I run the Red channel at about 3 for gain and volume at maximum (into load box).

The EQ is shared of course but I don't feel the need to tweak it when changing channels. I keep the EQ on about 7 for T and B and 5 for M. Presence is at maximum and Resonance at about 5.

Great amp, super impressed, was half the cost of my Vintage Modern, and about 33% of the weight and size. Just wanted to share my new experience with the DSL40.

Good job Marshall!

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I just got a new to me DSL40 in mint shape. I noticed the back had never been taken off. It still had the factory Marshall branded tubes. I changed out V1 and V2. In their placed I a JJ ECCC823 in V1 and a 5751 in V2.

I spent about a day dialing in the amp, and it sounds amazing. The Red channel is now usable for a low-gain player like me. Hardly any amp hiss or noise. I run the amp into a reactive load box and use IR cabinets for recording.

Compared to my Vintage Modern, this DSL40 is pretty damn close to the 'vintage' tone I want. Its also about 25# lighter and smaller than the Vintage Modern so I can carry it around easier.

I run the green channel with the 'crunch' engaged with the gain on about 5 and volume at maximum (when running into the load box). Sweet AC/DC crunch sound. The Red channel has more gain and less bottom end but gets that lead ACDC, Thin Lizzy tone without being way over the top in gain and amp buzz/hiss. I run the Red channel at about 3 for gain and volume at maximum (into load box).

The EQ is shared of course but I don't feel the need to tweak it when changing channels. I keep the EQ on about 7 for T and B and 5 for M. Presence is at maximum and Resonance at about 5.

Great amp, super impressed, was half the cost of my Vintage Modern, and about 33% of the weight and size. Just wanted to share my new experience with the DSL40.

Good job Marshall!

congrats and enjoy!! I use the crunch channel as my semi clean tone and all the heavier stuff on the Lead 1 mode, and like your self I find the shared EQ is just fine or I use the tone knob on my guitar if I think its a liitle bright but most times I'm just fine.

whitecloud

Reaction score

Good job Marshall!
Welcome aboard, with you running the amp full bore you are going to get those el34's cooking and less need to "tame" the brightness. Curious which load box are you using? IR's? I have the two notes plugin but haven't bought a reactive box, say like the Suhr but have tried preamp gain. If I ever go that route may check out Celestion's IR's

Derald

Reaction score
I use the Suhr load box and Two Notes IRs. I had a Mesa Boogie Cab Clone which was nice too. The built-in cab emulation was just ok though. It has a direct out that is emulated and one that is not, which I used with my interface and Two Notes IRs. I since upgraded to the Suhr. I say upgraded but honestly I don't really notice a difference. The load box itself just absorbs the speaker output. Technically the Suhr is a reactive load box, but my guitar playing skill is not at that level that I can tell any difference. I sold an amp (TSL122) and I threw in the Cab Clone, so that is why I got the Suhr.

I have about a dozen Two-Notes IRs and honestly once I pick a combo that sounds nice I just save it and it becomes my go-to cabinet. I highly recommend the Two Notes IRs. They really are great. A plethora of options like cabinets, mics, placement, etc. You can spend days tweaking a cabinet! I got the right combination of cabinets the DSL40 is not fizzy or buzzy at all, even at maximum volume.

I would never run the DSL40 or any amp at wide open unless its into the load box - would be WAY too loud. I track using headphones and practice using my studio monitors. The volume level is totally manageable and still sounds bad-ass, no tone loss of course because the amp is not being attenuated. This is true for the DSL40 and my Vintage Modern, which is an amazing amp itself.

Using the load box, at wide open, the amp sounds amazing. Not quite the same as my Vintage Modern with its KT66's, but nonetheless I'm very happy with the tone.

whitecloud

Reaction score
I use the Suhr load box and Two Notes IRs. I had a Mesa Boogie Cab Clone which was nice too. The built-in cab emulation was just ok though. It has a direct out that is emulated and one that is not, which I used with my interface and Two Notes IRs. I since upgraded to the Suhr. I say upgraded but honestly I don't really notice a difference. The load box itself just absorbs the speaker output. Technically the Suhr is a reactive load box, but my guitar playing skill is not at that level that I can tell any difference. I sold an amp (TSL122) and I threw in the Cab Clone, so that is why I got the Suhr.

I have about a dozen Two-Notes IRs and honestly once I pick a combo that sounds nice I just save it and it becomes my go-to cabinet. I highly recommend the Two Notes IRs. They really are great. A plethora of options like cabinets, mics, placement, etc. You can spend days tweaking a cabinet! I got the right combination of cabinets the DSL40 is not fizzy or buzzy at all, even at maximum volume.

I would never run the DSL40 or any amp at wide open unless its into the load box - would be WAY too loud. I track using headphones and practice using my studio monitors. The volume level is totally manageable and still sounds bad-ass, no tone loss of course because the amp is not being attenuated. This is true for the DSL40 and my Vintage Modern, which is an amazing amp itself.

Using the load box, at wide open, the amp sounds amazing. Not quite the same as my Vintage Modern with its KT66's, but nonetheless I'm very happy with the tone.
Thanks for the replies. I am curious as there may be a time that something like this may be of use. There's plenty discussion on the Suhr and others and I actually am waiting to see/hear the Two Notes Captor box when that gets released. I only have a few Two notes IR's but since I am not using a load box, no need for more and hear good things about the Celestion IR's. I would think running the amp full tilt into one of these boxes might not be ideal as in the "real world" going into a speaker there is that sweet spot that starts losing it at some point with the volume/gain knobs. Not really any louder but maybe there is too much to factor in to be sure. Is it the amp or the cab that is farting out kinda deal. Miking amp/cabs is a love hate thing for me as I do enjoy the challenge especially if all goes well, then there times not so much. I do occasionally use a Little Labs RedEye reamp box and that really is great way of salvaging a great performance and a not so great recording.

whitecloud

Reaction score
Lil diddy on L2 gain at 2. No volume rolling...pick attack changes hard/soft. Clipped phone mic at the end. Oops.

Cool man, so we can count on these clips every Friday night? Might think there was something amiss if there wasn't ;)

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool man, so we can count on these clips every Friday night? Might think there was something amiss if there wasn't ;)

Well I won't indulge every Friday. Hehee.

I like how the mids have a bit more meat with the ECC83MG in V1 and V2. Kinda cool sounding for certain stuff.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys know I have a blast with my DSL40. Fun amp!

I haven't lit my 5153 412 with G12M's up for awhile. My DSL40 is out in the living room. My 412 is in the fuck room...I mean my bedroom. Thought I'd run my 900 clone and exercise the G12M's a bit.

Fuuuuuuuuuk. Wow and yes I came. There is nothing like a quality 412 getting pushed to make your 112 combo sound bad. Honestly...the diff is epic.

However I can just plug my 40 into it and boom! Same thing. My point is how epic the diff is sound field wise between a 112 cab and a 412. Good thing I know better and can set either up for great results. Hands down no if and or butts...a quality 412 blows the 112 cab away...in an open room....house...rehearsal studio whatever. Recording wise or mixed live is excluded here.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
You guys know I have a blast with my DSL40. Fun amp!

I haven't lit my 5153 412 with G12M's up for awhile. My DSL40 is out in the living room. My 412 is in the fuck room...I mean my bedroom. Thought I'd run my 900 clone and exercise the G12M's a bit.

Fuuuuuuuuuk. Wow and yes I came. There is nothing like a quality 412 getting pushed to make your 112 combo sound bad. Honestly...the diff is epic.

However I can just plug my 40 into it and boom! Same thing. My point is how epic the diff is sound field wise between a 112 cab and a 412. Good thing I know better and can set either up for great results. Hands down no if and or butts...a quality 412 blows the 112 cab away...in an open room....house...rehearsal studio whatever. Recording wise or mixed live is excluded here.
Well yeah buddy !!! a Fiat 500 vs a 5.0 'stang.!
Just please don't say it made the 40DSL sound like an old small transistor radio !! lol
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I noticed when I had a Fender the open cab distibutes the sound around, so having both type cabs maybe a good thing?:)

Agreed. If I were to get a 1 x 12 extension cab to go with the DSL40C it would definitely be a closed back.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Hey Ken you know what struck me as funny...... for the price of an extension cab and speaker you could probably get a used DSL40C!!
That would be cool. Plugging into 2 x 40DSL's eh?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong fellas. The DSL40 rips. Big sound in a 112 for those of us that imbibe in enough power section.

It's just that I haven't played through a half stack for quite awhile and you can blame that on the 40 combo.

I have a full stack too but I say nothing. It's religious and I kid you not.

As far as transistor? No. For a 112 it thumps. Ask my neighbors...