The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Anybody have a zoom multi-stomp pedal? I use one with my DSL40 and I swear they were made for each other. They just updated it and added a bunch more pedals. There is a boost reverb one and it just screams with this amp. Its now a permanent fixture to my 40.

ken361

Reaction score
Anybody have a zoom multi-stomp pedal? I use one with my DSL40 and I swear they were made for each other. They just updated it and added a bunch more pedals. There is a boost reverb one and it just screams with this amp. Its now a permanent fixture to my 40.
Though about one of those, have a pic of that model?

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
You fuck'n baller! I knew you played good ole wholesome R&R! Looks like we walk the same musical timeline. Loved all those bits of tunes. Real good man. Great noodles!

YT always dulls clips up. I know what you mean. At least we get an idea.

So glad you put that speaker back in and and gave us a taste. Sooner or later I'm putting that Heritage in mine. It's another way to shape a more vintage tone other than circuit mods. Speakers effect tone substantially...or can. Good or bad. They have their own voicing/EQ curve.

Really appreciate the demo as it's something I want to do with mine.
I'll try to get some clips on the Green channel too, but might be a while. We have three kids, still young, so life is hectic! I don't get time to play nearly as often as I used to.
It was interesting swapping that Heritage back in, I had the V30 in there for a long time while I was getting back in touch with my George Lynch/80s metal phase, LOL. That Heritage instantly made me go back to my beginnings - for me it all started with Angus and everything else was built on top of that. For Angus you need that sweet top end and those vocal mids, the Heritage definitely has those.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try to get some clips on the Green channel too, but might be a while. We have three kids, still young, so life is hectic! I don't get time to play nearly as often as I used to.
It was interesting swapping that Heritage back in, I had the V30 in there for a long time while I was getting back in touch with my George Lynch/80s metal phase, LOL. That Heritage instantly made me go back to my beginnings - for me it all started with Angus and everything else was built on top of that. For Angus you need that sweet top end and those vocal mids, the Heritage definitely has those.

Whenever you get time.
You rawk!

BmanEL34

Reaction score
Finally gotta chance to use it playing with a band. The amp definitely perfomed up to expectations. I had the volume at about 10oclock (level 4) and was asked to turned down ...hehe. My only issue is that I need an amp stand that angles up. I had problems hearing myself because I didn't have enough room to stand directly in its path. (My poor bass player whined all night).

I'm coming from '73 50 watter with a 4x12 cab so I'll miss the thump but the versatily makes up for it. Also, with the tubescreamer on it was pure silk. Unfortunately the TS9 gave out so I upped the gain and powered through.

C19 100pf
65w creamback.

$550 investment replacing my vintage '73. WOW!!!! ....I can't say enough about the looks I got when I kicked in the tubescreamer. Lynch would've hugged me had he been there...lol.

Coronado

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me where I can find some info on the DSL40C? :naughty:

Its been quite some time since I stopped by the ol' DSL40 thread. This thing is a monster! I remember back when you could tell someone "check out the DSL40C thread, its got some good stuff in there!". Hell, it would take you a month to go through this bad boy now! :yesway:

Had my DSL for about 3 or 4 years now - safe to say its a pretty solid and durable amp. Its been a while since I replaced my power tubes (JJ E34Ls) and recently its seems like its losing some of its oomph. Like crackles, light background fuzz and noise. Pulled the vintage preamp tubes I put in just over a year ago that I got fairly cheap at the Dallas Guitar Festival (used tubes). Thought the noise was most likely coming from tired preamp tubes. Swapped out for 4 JJs and its still making some light noise and still seems a bit on the weak side. Thinking its time to check the power tubes.

Are JJs still a pretty solid power tube for the DSL40, or have some other types been leading the charge as a favorite?

Thanks!
Ray

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me where I can find some info on the DSL40C? :naughty:

Its been quite some time since I stopped by the ol' DSL40 thread. This thing is a monster! I remember back when you could tell someone "check out the DSL40C thread, its got some good stuff in there!". Hell, it would take you a month to go through this bad boy now! :yesway:

Had my DSL for about 3 or 4 years now - safe to say its a pretty solid and durable amp. Its been a while since I replaced my power tubes (JJ E34Ls) and recently its seems like its losing some of its oomph. Like crackles, light background fuzz and noise. Pulled the vintage preamp tubes I put in just over a year ago that I got fairly cheap at the Dallas Guitar Festival (used tubes). Thought the noise was most likely coming from tired preamp tubes. Swapped out for 4 JJs and its still making some light noise and still seems a bit on the weak side. Thinking its time to check the power tubes.

Are JJs still a pretty solid power tube for the DSL40, or have some other types been leading the charge as a favorite?

Thanks!
Ray

Clean the legs on those vintage tubes and they may quiet right down. Power tubes will make noise too.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Whenever you get time.
You rawk!
Solar Bro - had a coupe of free minutes so I got ya a couple of clips of the Green Crunch channel with the Heritage (I'll try to do some more soon). The Skynyrd piece is Gain at 7, then for the Steely bit I kicked in the Tubescreamer, all dials at noon. Here ya go:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
G12 65? sounds good
Yeah, the Marshall Heritage version but my understanding is they're the same.
Was just listening tp your clip with the EP Booster, sounds great. I have one and originally didn't like it with my 40C, but I only tried it on the Green channel, not on the Red. Might have to give it another go!

ken361

Reaction score
I have the version 2 prb have to leave the gain switch off and maybe keep the treble switch on. Will see Saturday how it works out. Pushing the crunch seems to be pretty good. The steely was cool too nice tones and playing i might have to save up for one of those speakers:) how is next to a greenback?

ken361

Reaction score
Was that a TS9 ? I had the mini 808 with a strat at the time and on the red I didnt care for it, colored it too much and i had the ET 65 in at the time which now I think I dont like the highs on it. The 70/80 actually nicer with the top and were my bias is set

Latest posts