The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angus.....glad you brought up Gibbons. Just fitted my LP with some SD Pearly Gates...Any speaker you'd have in mind for The Rev's tone?
BP

I've got a PG in bridge on my Westone guitar. It's a bitey muther fucker. Cuts real good.

If you find it too biting get a smoother or darker speaker. My Westone is not an LP so your PG may be more even(less top end)sounding.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
It's almost more smooth than I like but like you said it depends on what stuff is played...Lynch, scorps...I hear exactly what you're saying.

Also my ears like some bite as long as we're not getting ear fatigue from it. You're a great sound board for me cause we dig the same stuff.

Anyways it definitely sounded good. Thanks for the sound bites. I'm thinking....lol
It gets brighter than that for sure - I had my Treb at 4 and Pres at 3, to give you an idea, plus some clarity got lost in the transfer. But yeah, even with more top end & gain it stays pretty smooth. If you like that raunchy sound of a GB being pushed, then this is probably not gonna float yer boat.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets brighter than that for sure - I had my Treb at 4 and Pres at 3, to give you an idea, plus some clarity got lost in the transfer. But yeah, even with more top end & gain it stays pretty smooth. If you like that raunchy sound of a GB being pushed, then this is probably not gonna float yer boat.

Well I'm not dismissing it. YT effected top end/clarity and EQ can add more or take away. I wouldn't want it if I didn't hear my kind of good things in it.

ken361

Reaction score
fired the amp up today and it seems a bit dull and not very loud and lower in gain some so I'm thinking its the speaker so I popped the ET65 and that woke it up some but like it should be:( my amps been having some hum lately when playing at low volumes and it goes away but usually means for me the power tubes are on the fritz! I have a older set of EH that I know are still decent so I'm going to bias it up in 15 minutes and see how it goes. I knew I should of ordered a new set these will be a year old next month on the 10th. I'm going to order a set on Monday. Not sure on the EP booster yet will see.

Ares Koch

Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking for of getting this amp. I play Metallica right now but I'm getting into Guns N' Roses more. I really want to like this amp but idk if it has enough gain. In the demos it sounds either too muddy or brittle.. is there any ways to fix this? New speaker, tubes, pedals, mods?

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking for of getting this amp. I play Metallica right now but I'm getting into Guns N' Roses more. I really want to like this amp but idk if it has enough gain. In the demos it sounds either too muddy or brittle.. is there any ways to fix this? New speaker, tubes, pedals, mods?
Plenty of gain for GnR, man, don't go by those YT demos. I wouldn't bother with tube changes at first, and I honestly don't see the need to mod anything either, but I would swap out the stock speaker - if you're looking for GnR tones, slap a Vintage 30 in there. With a V30 in mine I can easily dial in AFD-type tones.

Ares Koch

Reaction score
Plenty of gain for GnR, man, don't go by those YT demos. I wouldn't bother with tube changes at first, and I honestly don't see the need to mod anything either, but I would swap out the stock speaker - if you're looking for GnR tones, slap a Vintage 30 in there. With a V30 in mine I can easily dial in AFD-type tones.
Thanks man. So swap to a v30 and what pedal would be good to tighten up the bottom end or for a boost?

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Oh my son, it has more than enough gain seriously!!!!

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Thanks man. So swap to a v30 and what pedal would be good to tighten up the bottom end or for a boost?
The bass gets pretty tight with that V30, actually - it's the stock 70/80 that makes it sound flubby. But, for a good boost that also firms things up (and without spending a fortune) you can't go wrong with a tried & true Tubescreamer or BOSS SD1.

Len

Reaction score
You need to read the start of this thread. The whole thread is about improving the tone via speakers, mods and tubes.

BmanEL34

Reaction score
It you do stick with the stock amp the Green crunch channel with a boost should get you into GnR territory. Crank it loud

Latest posts