The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Igtar_Pro

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to change the (horrible) seventy 80 speaker by a celestion Vintage 30, but I don´t know if put one of 16 ohm or two of 8 ohms, adding an extra box (using the 8 ohms outputs). Is there a big sound difference?

Thanks

newplayeroldguy

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to change the (horrible) seventy 80 speaker by a celestion Vintage 30, but I don´t know if put one of 16 ohm or two of 8 ohms, adding an extra box (using the 8 ohms outputs). Is there a big sound difference?

Thanks

you can't run two 8 ohm speakers-that would result in a 4 ohm load. put a 16 ohm speaker in the amp and you can drive a second 16 ohm speaker as well-using the 8 ohm jacks

Berserk

Reaction score
I got to really tinker with the settings since nobody was home and I'm pretty sure it's not my settings. I had the volume around 5-6 and just started trying a bunch of different combinations. I was on the lead one channel since the crunch wasn't doing it for me. I think the amp is just naturally bright and my guitar (Ibanez prestige with dimarzio's) just adds more brightness. I still like the amp tho lol. I wish I knew somebody with a les Paul probably would take a lot of the harshness off

Berserk

Reaction score
I probably wasn't specific enough in my first post but it's not that I can't get a good tone it's that I can't get a good rhythm tone at loud volumes. I'm thinking a hard rock van Halen type of sound. When I play leads with the volume up on the red channel it sounds great. The crunch channel didn't have enough gain for me so maybe I can get an overdrive pedal and use that as my rhythm sound and have the red channel as my lead? Sorry if I'm rambling

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Use a 16-ohm replacement.
That way you can add a 16-ohm cab easily.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I probably wasn't specific enough in my first post but it's not that I can't get a good tone it's that I can't get a good rhythm tone at loud volumes. I'm thinking a hard rock van Halen type of sound. When I play leads with the volume up on the red channel it sounds great. The crunch channel didn't have enough gain for me so maybe I can get an overdrive pedal and use that as my rhythm sound and have the red channel as my lead? Sorry if I'm rambling

So did you post all your settings? Channel? Mode? Gain level?

Berserk

Reaction score
So did you post all your settings? Channel? Mode? Gain level?

I was on the lead one red channel, my settings were
Volume 5
Gain 6
Treble 2
Mids 4
Bass 6
Presence 1
Resonance 3

This was the setting that seemed to work the best for me. If I raised the volume it would become too harsh. The same with the mids and treble.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Volume 5
Gain 6
Treble 2
Mids 4
Bass 6
Presence 1
Resonance 3

This was the setting that seemed to work the best for me. If I raised the volume it would become too harsh. The same with the mids and treble.

For me, that would be too much gain.
Gain at 3, bass at 3 gets me close with my LP...

newplayeroldguy

Reaction score
Volume 5
Gain 6
Treble 2
Mids 4
Bass 6
Presence 1
Resonance 3

you still using the stock 70/80 speaker in it?

Berserk

Reaction score
For me, that would be too much gain.
Gain at 3, bass at 3 gets me close with my LP...

I just put the gain at three along with the bass. When i do this it's really hard on my ears lol. But I just noticed that there's this weird bubbling noise going on when I have the volume on my guitar rolled off. Tube problem?

Igtar_Pro

Reaction score
you can't run two 8 ohm speakers-that would result in a 4 ohm load. put a 16 ohm speaker in the amp and you can drive a second 16 ohm speaker as well-using the 8 ohm jacks

the amp has two 8 ohm outputs and one 16ohm, you can use it or alternately the two 8 owm outputs.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
the amp has two 8 ohm outputs and one 16ohm, you can use it or alternately the two 8 owm outputs.

Wrong, you can only use 2 16-ohm speakers in the 8-ohm outputs.
Read the manual...

Knopfler

Reaction score
hello!!

A question please:

I want to change my 70/80 speaker.

My question:

Vintage 30 or Creamback G12M-65 16 Ohm or G12H-75 or Cream G12 Alnico

I play pop/rock, The Black Keys, Neil Young, The Pólice, Bob Dylan , John Fogerty.

Thanks!!

Cheers. :wave:

Natedog_37

Reaction score
OK guys question for you

Loving my DSL really got it setup to where it cuts though my bands mix and just sound killer.

On the front I am using my Digitech GNX4 with all the amp sims, and cab sims off, just using the Effects. On the clean change I have no issues with controling Volume. I leave the volume pedal so I have a little extra to get me over the top.

No when I switch to the red channel is is on or off, No volume change so I can cut though on my solos.

I am not using the effect loop just plug into the front. Do you think adding a boost pedal would give me the extra kick I need in DB to get go over the top for solo. Just need a small kick and some reason am not getting it only on the red channel..

Was thinking of trying to use my digitech Bad monkey as a boost. thoughs? settings to try with it?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
OK guys question for you

Loving my DSL really got it setup to where it cuts though my bands mix and just sound killer.

On the front I am using my Digitech GNX4 with all the amp sims, and cab sims off, just using the Effects. On the clean change I have no issues with controling Volume. I leave the volume pedal so I have a little extra to get me over the top.

No when I switch to the red channel is is on or off, No volume change so I can cut though on my solos.

I am not using the effect loop just plug into the front. Do you think adding a boost pedal would give me the extra kick I need in DB to get go over the top for solo. Just need a small kick and some reason am not getting it only on the red channel..

Was thinking of trying to use my digitech Bad monkey as a boost. thoughs? settings to try with it?

I use both a Tube Screamer or an OCD depending and both can be set very easy to add a bit of volume boost during solos without any problem.

Bownse

Reaction score
hello!!

A question please:

I want to change my 70/80 speaker.

My question:

Vintage 30 or Creamback G12M-65 16 Ohm or G12H-75 or Cream G12 Alnico

I play pop/rock, The Black Keys, Neil Young, The Pólice, Bob Dylan , John Fogerty.

Thanks!!

Cheers. :wave:

I play some Joplin, Clapton, Bowie, Black Crows, Michael Bloomfield, Lita Ford, etc. Am very please with my G12H-75 choice.

Got it dialed in to great joy earlier this week with:

L to R

out
in
in
in

Volumes moves as needed. Woke up things right nicely. Played a couple of times like this and found that most of my pedals become redundant. Still use the phase shifter for some Moody Blues stuff and the TC Electronics Dreamscape for more subtle stuff but the Metal Muff is now set to be a booster if needed (rarely) on some aggressive rhythms like Ford's stuff.