• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
Hi Ken. I have 2 Tele's ( one with Lollars & one with Bill Lawrence Microcoils ) and the boost I use is the EH LPB-1. Check it out. Clean power boost. Put it in front of your fave OD pedal and prepare to be wowed.
No noise what so ever.
B.P.
i seen the vids lastnight I want to use it to boost the lead 1 and the crunch

BanditPanda

Reaction score
i seen the vids lastnight I want to use it to boost the lead 1 and the crunch
In that case you could run that pedal thru your effects loop which means it will hit the power section ( by passing the preamp when in the loop )

dquill78

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am thinking about getting a DSL40c from sweetwater with the creamback. My guitar is an ESP Viper 1000 with an EMG 81 at the bridge and an EMG 85 at the neck. Does anyone use this amp with active pickups? I'm guessing I'll have to mod c19 since these pickup are already really bright.

mtsalmela80

Reaction score
Quick tech question, for the foot switch, which part of the plug switches the channel, the tip or the ring? Experimenting with controlling the channel switching through my rack FX unit...

Allaeius

Reaction score
Our DSL40C arrived yesterday. The amp is very flexible, I can go from crystal clean to modern heavy metal with the help of a distortion pedal. The ultra high gain channel just doesn't suit my tastes for heavy metals. I do think that it's the speakers fault. It's not as robust at low volume.

For now, I'm not looking to mod it in anyway, but I'm curious about the triode mode. I'm a 100% bedroom player and the triode mode is very interesting.

However, I've always that it could shorten the lifespan of the tubes and changing to triode mode requires you to change/decrease the impedance of the speaker output. Is this correct?

In short, what is the correct procedure and precautions that must be taken to go into triode mode?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The different modes should not affect normal tube life.
Put the amp either in OFF or Standby, then flip the half-power switch.
Then turn on the amp and rock on!

Reaction score
In addition to what Micky has stated, you do not need to change the speaker impedance.

You may want to review the user manual. The pentode/triode mode is covered in the user manual.

Willie

Richard M.

Reaction score
Hey there--new member, new DSL 40 C owner. Have a concern--when I run my amp fairly loud [Classic gain , crunch engaged; or Ultra gain, volume at 4+] there is a discernible 'splat', specifically the B, 9th fret, D string (standard tuning). Oddly specific, I know. Is this anomaly possibly occurring in the V1 and the result of an inferior/faulty preamp tube? Other than that, the amp sounds glorious and I've had no other issues. Thoughts?

Allaeius

Reaction score
The different modes should not affect normal tube life.
Put the amp either in OFF or Standby, then flip the half-power switch.
Then turn on the amp and rock on!

In addition to what Micky has stated, you do not need to change the speaker impedance.

You may want to review the user manual. The pentode/triode mode is covered in the user manual.

Willie

Thanks, I did read the manual a few times but after that it gets a little confusing after digging around for more info.

Apart from that, I'm looking to get an EQ pedal to get more flexibility on the tone itself. I thought of looking for a new distortion pedal too, one that is better than my current (Behringer UM300), but I feel that the amp itself have more than enough gain to do that. Only thing that's holding it back is the lack of a more versatile EQ, IMO.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am thinking about getting a DSL40c from sweetwater with the creamback. My guitar is an ESP Viper 1000 with an EMG 81 at the bridge and an EMG 85 at the neck. Does anyone use this amp with active pickups? I'm guessing I'll have to mod c19 since these pickup are already really bright.
Yeah I have. It'll be great depending what you want. I rarely use clean so I push the front with an OD and use Ch 1 in Crunch mode. Not the best with active PU if you want clean. BUt if you want clean why have active PU?? C19 helps. I have a V30 as well so can't say about the stock speaker.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Hey guys..just been reading and listening on another thread where members have been taking delivery of the mini jub head. In Canada it costs 1500$ + tax which puts it easily over 1650 CAD.!
This for just the head mind you.
So my question to you : Is the tone and capabilities of the mini jub really so far superior to that of the DSL 40C at basically 3 times to cost ( or 2 times the cost depending ) ?
Of course it's subjective and we all have our quirks but speaking in general terms what's your opinion?
I listened to the U Tube demo that was offered, mini jub thru a Bogner 2 x12 with an LP and it had great tone and crispness but I'm not convinced that the same could not be squeezed out of the DSL40C

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
I played the DSL 100 with a cheap Marshall cab next to the Jub half stack, think I liked the DSL more for its added bite and gain. Thought the Jub would have tone from the heaven's wasn't that blown away. I'm sure if the speakers were broken in and spent more time on May change my mind. DSL is good deal!

ken361

Reaction score
Tried the new Friedman pedal through the clean channel on the DSL 100,lots of gain,dynamics more low end at low volume at GC.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Any players here doing any ZZ Top numbers?. Interested more in their live sound. Got the LP. Got the Marshall DSL 40C.
Wanna tell me where to go (lol) settings wise to get that Reverend Billy Gibbons sound ( approximate of course ).
Know all about Pearly Gates, tone is the fingers etc., etc. Just looking for some guide lines

Len

Reaction score
Any players here doing any ZZ Top numbers?. Interested more in their live sound. Got the LP. Got the Marshall DSL 40C.
Wanna tell me where to go (lol) settings wise to get that Reverend Billy Gibbons sound ( approximate of course ).
Know all about Pearly Gates, tone is the fingers etc., etc. Just looking for some guide lines
All settings at noon will get you close.