The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Well, speaking of weight and bass (and TREBLE!)...

Someone (I don't remember where?) asked me, why I was swapping out speakers? Any questions? :hbang:

I think it took me longer to take pictures, than to swap it out. What a difference! Night and day! The BMT is actually usable now, without having to plug into one of my ext. cabs. I was not enjoying the break in, on the Seventy/80. All those guitars I bought playing through a very well-used DSL40C, sounded like dog crap, through the brand new speaker. Only guitar I enjoyed playing with the stock speaker, was my '68 Reissue Custom. But, it sounds good through anything.

However, that Seventy/80 brand new... its ice picks on my ears.

The V30 changed all that. I can still hear the stiffness in the cone. But, I can use my treble now... actually adjust it above 2. I can use resonance and not turn the bass into a flubby mess.

This one is going to be fun to break in. Not like nails on a chalk board. That's about my only knock on the DSL. The stock speaker, is horrid, out of the box.

Some more pics. Yes, its significantly heavier. LOL! But, I do have the coolest DSL40C, on the block. ;)
Well, I'm glad you decided to listen to me... LOL
What'd tell ya, doesn't it sound KILLER with a Vintage 30? Happy Breaking In bud, it only gets better from here!

BmanEL34

Reaction score
Newbie poster here. I've been scouring the DSL40 threads after buying one last week. I've been spoiled the last 30 years with '73 50 watt but like many others I'm trying to downsize. Being used to 'The Tone', first thoughts on this amp was:

Loved the clean channel. My 50watt didn't have much headroom and I wanted something more versatile.

The overdrive on all channels sounded way too trebly and pretty crappy. I expected this since I've been reading up on it and i've got a creamback 65m coming today. I've also picked up a couple of capacitors - 68pf, 100pf, and a replacement 470pf (just in case).

I plan on seeing if the speaker swap does the trick but from what I've read and heard the C19 mod is something I'm prepared to do. I'll probably throw in the 100pf because I do want to be able to cut through the mix. I'm up against a fender twin.

The question I have for those who are knowledgeable is: The capacitors I have are 300v....will these work? The guy at the electronics store said they're good up to 300v so I'm assuming yes but the values I've read on the forums were 50v. Can anyone confirm this?

Bownse

Reaction score
I've been considering having my amp tech install bias extensions onto the exterior of the chassis so they can be adjusted by pulling the back like you can with tube swaps.

Len

Reaction score
Newbie poster here. I've been scouring the DSL40 threads after buying one last week. I've been spoiled the last 30 years with '73 50 watt but like many others I'm trying to downsize. Being used to 'The Tone', first thoughts on this amp was:

Loved the clean channel. My 50watt didn't have much headroom and I wanted something more versatile.

The overdrive on all channels sounded way too trebly and pretty crappy. I expected this since I've been reading up on it and i've got a creamback 65m coming today. I've also picked up a couple of capacitors - 68pf, 100pf, and a replacement 470pf (just in case).

I plan on seeing if the speaker swap does the trick but from what I've read and heard the C19 mod is something I'm prepared to do. I'll probably throw in the 100pf because I do want to be able to cut through the mix. I'm up against a fender twin.

The question I have for those who are knowledgeable is: The capacitors I have are 300v....will these work? The guy at the electronics store said they're good up to 300v so I'm assuming yes but the values I've read on the forums were 50v. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, that will be fine. The C19 mod should work well for you.

BmanEL34

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Sifting back through the posts it seems like the board is split on using the amp as a bedroom amp vs gigging amp. I've got a Blackstar HT5R for room volume and it kills the DSL at low levels - cleans excluded. I plan on using the Blackstar as a wet amp. My lil rig should sound GLORIOUS!!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Seriously ? Never thought there was any debate on here 'bout the DSL40C being a gigging amp.
There is no question about that in my mind anyway. It most definitely is a gigging amp.
Fact is even at the 20 watt RMS triode level it is way too loud for bedroom levels however it can serve that purpose with pedals and what not.
BP.

ken361

Reaction score
Quick shootout EF86 tube clean channel with slight crunch from the pedal vs the marshall crunch channel, whats your favorite I know what mine is:) Sounds similar to a expensive Matchess lol

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Those will work fine the only downside may be the physical size of the cap and leads being larger than a 50V cap. If I recall, there is room in there were C19 is, its not super tight on space so you should be OK and hooefully the larger leads fit in the PCB solder eyelets. I use either 50V or 100V typically whi her is available!

BmanEL34

Reaction score
Thanks. All three caps look almost identical with the exception of the values stamped on them and they're all small like the orig c19.

I'm going on blind faith in what I've read here and will install the 100pf cap first without hearing the amp at full vol. with my band. I've also installed the creamback. My ultimate goal is that the clean channel stays clean and the 1st ultra channel is my dirty classic rock channel and then push the tube screamer for screaming leads or higher gain tones on the ultra channel or use it for lightly overdriving the clean for blues dirty tones. A distortion or fuzz pedal may be needed instead. We'll see.
I'm used to a one channel amp and can easily switch to the crunch and vol. down if it works out that way. I may end up finding that more practical. I have so much hope for this amp but will have to wait to really put it through the test.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick shootout EF86 tube clean channel with slight crunch from the pedal vs the marshall crunch channel, whats your favorite I know what mine is:) Sounds similar to a expensive Matchess lol

I would say the pedal offers a nice classic rawk tone. And as a player I would appreciate such an option among what I can already get.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. All three caps look almost identical with the exception of the values stamped on them and they're all small like the orig c19.

I'm going on blind faith in what I've read here and will install the 100pf cap first without hearing the amp at full vol. with my band. I've also installed the creamback. My ultimate goal is that the clean channel stays clean and the 1st ultra channel is my dirty classic rock channel and then push the tube screamer for screaming leads or higher gain tones on the ultra channel or use it for lightly overdriving the clean for blues dirty tones. A distortion or fuzz pedal may be needed instead. We'll see.
I'm used to a one channel amp and can easily switch to the crunch and vol. down if it works out that way. I may end up finding that more practical. I have so much hope for this amp but will have to wait to really put it through the test.

When you get it tuned where you want it put up a clip. I want to compare my 70/80 speakered DSL to it. I want to put a Heritage 65 in mine. These tunings you guys do help me make informed choices.

ken361

Reaction score
I would say the pedal offers a nice classic rawk tone. And as a player I would appreciate such an option among what I can already get.
Thanks for the input:) took me a good while to dial my EVH guitar yesterday.I had some slight gain on the pedal and the volume back some and didn't like it as much then later I noticed I had the reverb at 7 when I was recording,it added brightness!

Dialing that back and went back the clean boost set and that went better! It has a bias knob to that can make the tube break up or more headroom. For the red 1 I have to keep the volume just around 12 o clock theres a fine line for the red set up or it can squeal. 12 volts AC power it can get loud,gain up it gets that Sabbath type fuzz or Hendrix tones. Playing the clean channel loud with EVH it gets bass so maybe just boost it with crunch on.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad you decided to listen to me... LOL
What'd tell ya, doesn't it sound KILLER with a Vintage 30? Happy Breaking In bud, it only gets better from here!

No. As a matter of fact I will put my 70/80 against your V30 anytime. However this is for fun. Not to be a dick. But if you can ball up I will put you straight up. 5 stripperz to your door. LOL