The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
You're always going to get some level of hiss from the Red high-gain channel, but with a good V1 tube you can certainly cut down on some of it. The stock tubes were definitely a little noisier on the Red channel - I was using my Decimator noise gate in the effects loop until I swapped the preamp tubes, now I don't feel much need to do so unless I'm playing at fairly high volume.

You mention above that you have regular MESA 12AX7's (V2 & V3 I assume). Why those vs the SPAX7? This is my first all tube amp so I'm learning about this stuff as I go so my apologies if the question is basic.

Curious to see if the reverb comes a little more alive too.

tmingle

Reaction score
pedalboard.JPG
The M13 is pretty quiet but here's what I've tried so far:
  • Plugged the guitar into the Effects Loop return to bypass the preamp and it's absolutely quiet on Lead 2 with the Gain and Volume dimmed so I know the power tubes are good and the noise is coming before the effects loop.
  • Disconnected and powered off the M13 and VooDoo Lab Control Switcher so the guitar was going straight into the amp and there was no noticeable reduction in hiss - which tells me the hiss is coming from the amp.
  • I got a high quality 12ga extension cord and tried different outlets in my house that I know are on different circuits - no change. Also, where my amp is plugged in is the same outlet I used with my other amps and they don't have noise problems. Additionally, while my house was built in the mid-80's we gutted and remodeled it two years ago and the wiring in my office (where I play) is all new.
  • Do I have the highest quality cables - no. But they are not the cheap ones either and I use them with my other two amps and have no issues so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.
  • I plug the amp, M13 and VooDoo Lab into a LiveWire "power conditioner" although for the price I paid I'm pretty sure it's just a glorified surge protector but no change when I bypass that either.

The only thing left that I can think of are the preamp tubes. This morning I found an Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH in my gig bag that came out of my Marshall VS100 a while ago. I don't have a tube tester so I'm not sure if this is good but tonight I'll swap V1 just to see if it makes any difference.

You mentioned that you swapped out the stock tubes - what did you change them to?
Tungsol Reissue in V1, Ruby 7025SS HG in V2-3 & 1 of the stock Marshall JJ's in the PI slot (V4). I switched V1 to a vintage Tungsol over the weekend, which is quiet as well.
I do not recall how noisy the amp was when I bought it, I swapped the preamp tubes pretty quick. I do recall having a noisy cable in the pedal chain, so I replaced all the cables.
I used Livewires for the longer cables in the effects loop, some 6" 90deg cables between & a Mogami 12' cable from the guitar to the pedal board. I had a Line 6 HD500X that was noisy as all hell when set for unity gain.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
You mention above that you have regular MESA 12AX7's (V2 & V3 I assume). Why those vs the SPAX7? This is my first all tube amp so I'm learning about this stuff as I go so my apologies if the question is basic.

Curious to see if the reverb comes a little more alive too.
Ha, well, it's actually not that scientific. Back in like '99 or 2000 there was a local music store that went out of business and the owner (whom I had known for years) sold me several of his remaining preamp tubes for really cheap. I ended up with 3 of the SPAX7s and a few more of the normal MESA ones, plus a few of the long plate Sovteks. Since the V1 position in a Marshall is usually the most critical I use the SP there.

Years ago someone said that the long plate Sovteks make good Phase Inverter tubes (V4 in the DSL40C) so I started using them for the PI (also in my JVM combo). I have to say, there is something to it - putting the Sovtek LPS in the PI spot does seem improve the feel of the amp and the textue of the tone a little.

riefil

Reaction score
This is the route I basically told him to go. I'm sure he'll be calling on me to trouble shoot with him. As always thanks for the info.
So just a little update. I finally got a chance to get to his house to check out the issue. I came armed with spare tubes, contact cleaner, cordless drill and extra cables. I could hear right away that there was a problem. Went from plugging guitar straight in, to through his pedal board. There was a noticeable difference between the two. Played around with the effects loop switch which also show a difference. A lot more high end when playing through the pedal board. Upon looking closely at his setup, I noticed his Crybaby was tilted forward. I decided to rock it back...voila...all fixed. After calling him a knucklehead:wallbash: a few times, we had a good chuckle. On the upside, we got to play together for the first time in a while.:rock:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
So just a little update. I finally got a chance to get to his house to check out the issue. I came armed with spare tubes, contact cleaner, cordless drill and extra cables. I could hear right away that there was a problem. Went from plugging guitar straight in, to through his pedal board. There was a noticeable difference between the two. Played around with the effects loop switch which also show a difference. A lot more high end when playing through the pedal board. Upon looking closely at his setup, I noticed his Crybaby was tilted forward. I decided to rock it back...voila...all fixed. After calling him a knucklehead:wallbash: a few times, we had a good chuckle. On the upside, we got to play together for the first time in a while.:rock:

Excellent news riefil. Knucklehead owes ya one !! ( although at this point I am uncertain as to which Knucklehead you speak !:lol:
BP

kev67

Reaction score
Cocked Wah Syndrome
Ha....
Update on the head... jammed with the band 3 times now and I'm about settled on the controls enough for a clean to distortion channel for the mo.
It's all original bar the clipped c19.
I had soldered it back to original but soon clipped it again.
One thing I've learned is that the dsl40h likes a cheap tangle wood tse501 better than my mahogany bodies ibanez rg with jazz and jb Seymour Duncan pups in it. Meg. ..
Not really been an lp fan but might have to look into them now.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Ha....
Update on the head... jammed with the band 3 times now and I'm about settled on the controls enough for a clean to distortion channel for the mo.
It's all original bar the clipped c19.
I had soldered it back to original but soon clipped it again.
One thing I've learned is that the dsl40h likes a cheap tangle wood tse501 better than my mahogany bodies ibanez rg with jazz and jb Seymour Duncan pups in it. Meg. ..
Not really been an lp fan but might have to look into them now.

LP & Marshall baby !!! Match made in heaven !! lol
Although must say I did swap out the 490R & T for some Duncan Pearly Gates. DSL40 likes 'em real good !:rock:

riefil

Reaction score
Excellent news riefil. Knucklehead owes ya one !! ( although at this point I am uncertain as to which Knucklehead you speak !:lol:
BP

My nephew! Great kid, but not very mechanically inclined. Doesn't know much about how gear works and really doesn't want to know. After all he has a Guitar/amp tech whose hourly rate is very cheap. $0 per hour:fever:

EbLa

Reaction score
I need help guys. i have a problem on my DSL40C. everytime i put the Gain and the Volume at 12 o'clock position or higher, a loud popping sound is coming out. i also try to unplug my guitar to my amp, and turned the knobs (gain & volume) all the way up and there is a hissing noise & crackling noise on both clean/crunch & Lead1/Lead2... i can only use my Amp on 9 o'clock position which is the output is not enough to play live with my band... please help me... thank you so much in advance...

Bownse

Reaction score
Have you tried it without any pedals?

Trouble shooting:

1. Unplug EVERYTHING and check
2. Plug in 1 thing at a time; checking each time
3. Swap pre-amp tubes (1 at a time); checking each time
4. Check amp tubes (1 at a time); checking each time

If at any point, the noise goes away/comes back, you've found the problem. If you end up permanently swapping the power tubes, do a bias. If nothing stops the noise, do a bias.

rlowe

Reaction score
I need help guys. i have a problem on my DSL40C. everytime i put the Gain and the Volume at 12 o'clock position or higher, a loud popping sound is coming out. i also try to unplug my guitar to my amp, and turned the knobs (gain & volume) all the way up and there is a hissing noise & crackling noise on both clean/crunch & Lead1/Lead2... i can only use my Amp on 9 o'clock position which is the output is not enough to play live with my band... please help me... thank you so much in advance...

rlowe

Reaction score
Could be a preamp tube, but if you have a spare set of power tubes change them and bias. This sounds like a power tube issue I have dealt with before. Snap, crackle and pop no pun intended.

rlowe

Reaction score
Could be a preamp tube, but if you have a spare set of power tubes change them and bias. This sounds like a power tube issue I have dealt with before. Snap, crackle and pop no pun intended.

rlowe

Reaction score