The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rlowe

Reaction score
I need help guys. i have a problem on my DSL40C. everytime i put the Gain and the Volume at 12 o'clock position or higher, a loud popping sound is coming out. i also try to unplug my guitar to my amp, and turned the knobs (gain & volume) all the way up and there is a hissing noise & crackling noise on both clean/crunch & Lead1/Lead2... i can only use my Amp on 9 o'clock position which is the output is not enough to play live with my band... please help me... thank you so much in advance...
Could be a preamp tube, but if you have a spare set of power tubes change them and bias. This sounds like a power tube issue I have dealt with before. Snap, crackle and pop no pun intended.

EbLa

Reaction score
Have you tried it without any pedals?

Trouble shooting:

1. Unplug EVERYTHING and check
2. Plug in 1 thing at a time; checking each time
3. Swap pre-amp tubes (1 at a time); checking each time
4. Check amp tubes (1 at a time); checking each time

If at any point, the noise goes away/comes back, you've found the problem. If you end up permanently swapping the power tubes, do a bias. If nothing stops the noise, do a bias.

Thanks Bownes. i will try this. but i do not know how to bias... is it ok to swap the pre-amp tubes without doing a bias?

EbLa

Reaction score
Could be a preamp tube, but if you have a spare set of power tubes change them and bias. This sounds like a power tube issue I have dealt with before. Snap, crackle and pop no pun intended.

Thanks rlowe. right now i dont have a spare... i will try to buy online.
How's your Amp now? do you able to use it in full volume and full gain without these popping sounds?

rlowe

Reaction score
Thanks rlowe. right now i dont have a spare... i will try to buy online.
How's your Amp now? do you able to use it in full volume and full gain without these popping sounds?
This happened a little over a year ago. I switched out bad power tubes for good and this fixed the problem (and of course biased). I also switched out the preamp tubes as some were sketchy. Good Luck!

EbLa

Reaction score
This happened a little over a year ago. I switched out bad power tubes for good and this fixed the problem (and of course biased). I also switched out the preamp tubes as some were sketchy. Good Luck!

what Tubes is best for replacing the existing tubes?
thanks.

AlanH

Reaction score
Thanks Bownes. i will try this. but i do not know how to bias... is it ok to swap the pre-amp tubes without doing a bias?

Try this EbLa:

No need to bias if swapping pre-amp tubes though....

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Maybe some other's can chime in on this but, I use JJ from Eurotubes EL34's, E34L's and not EL34's give a punchier, more aggressive sound. Tad power tubes can do the job as well!

I like all JJ tubes my self, JJ E34L are clearer and punchier to my ears!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I use Svetlana EL34 tubes from the Tube Store.
Here is their brief take on them:\
The Svetlana EL34 is the perfect tube for classic rock. The midrange is very pronounced and the high end is smooth. The bottom end response is not the best, but in a guitar amp it becomes a moot point. In the test amp the mids just rip through the mix. No guitar player is going to get lost in the mix using these tubes. These tubes deliver incredible crunch making them perfect for that ZZ Top, old EVH sound. Seven string down-strokers may not be as pleased because they don't have that crushing bottom end. The Winged "C" SED EL34 tubes definitely have the advantage in bottom end but we find that it can get a bit boomy. For guitar players that need an EL34 tube and play classic rock music we don't think you can find a better tube than the Svetlana EL34./
BP

SoCal Flood

Reaction score
New proud owner of a DSL40c in GC's limited cream color here. So happy with this amp's versatility and how well it pairs with my 2017 Les Paul Standard. A couple questions, but first I just wanna throw out that i've done my very best to read as much of this long (and awesome) thread as my eyes could take over the past couple days. I've also listened to countless youtube demos, but i fear the sound reproduction isn't always truly accurate, so I really value your insights here.

1) I'm leaning heavily towards the Celestian Creamback G12M-65 for it's smoothness, rounded low end and to tame the treble on Ultra Gain 2 and to warm up the clean channel a touch as well. For owners with this speaker, will it be too much to also clip C19? I just don't want to lose allll the bite.

2) I'm mostly into jazz and classic rock tones. I almost got the Fender Princeton '65 reissue because of the rich and smooth cleans which were amazing with jazz. Is the Creamback G12M-65 an ideal speaker for my needs or should I be considering others? The G12H 75, Vintage 30 and WGS ET65 all sound awesome as well from the soundbites i've heard but I think a touch too much treble for me. I know it sounds like i've answered my own question here, but just wondering if I should look at any others before i make my G12M-65 16ohm purchase.

I run this amp simply for home use so i'm not concerned with cutting through for a mix or playing with a band.

ken361

Reaction score
i dont find too much treble just bias it at 32, some amps were at like 52! let the tubes break in for a few weeks also. it was bright when new and stock bias

SoCal Flood

Reaction score
Thanks, i'll definitely bias it regardless. I've heard the 70/80 on this amp broken in and while not terrible by any means (I see why some choose to leave it), i'm certain I want to at least change the speaker out.

ken361

Reaction score
Thanks, i'll definitely bias it regardless. I've heard the 70/80 on this amp broken in and while not terrible by any means (I see why some choose to leave it), i'm certain I want to at least change the speaker out.
\

I had 32 hrs on the second 70/80 its not bad at all now, but the ET 65 is louder and more balls by some:)

BanditPanda

Reaction score

Ken & myself have the WGS 65 and more besides on this forum. I would say for the variety of music you play the WGS would certainly be more suited than the Vintage 30 for sure.
Personally I have found the WGS to handle the highs very well. Never the less many have purchased from Sweetwater which offer the Creamback installed at no extra charge and one and all ( I believe ) are very very happy with that speaker. Of course there are many hard rock & metal players on here who more than likely would not be happy with that speaker.
And what are you doing in Ultra Gain 2 playing jazz & classic rock ?
Yes I would say those who can do the c19 clip and it solves that problem.
Congrats on the new amp. It's a good one !
BP

Last edited: