The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Easy

Reaction score
Any call for an official Marshall Origin 20 Thread here? If so, I just created it! If not, I created it anyway...

Recently took delivery of one. Loved it. Replaced all stock tubes with premium Groove Tubes. Loved it even more. :wub:

Any other recommended upgrades, Etc? I was thinking of swapping the stock Celestion for a Greenback, or maybe a Creamback. I have a 12” Creamback I used to swap into previous 12” combos I’ve owned (there’s been a few!) and I always preferred it...no experience with the 10”, though. This is actually the first 10” combo I’ve owned. Actually, that’s a lie...it’s the first 10” I’ve wanted to hang on to; I very briefly owned a Marshall Class 5, but sold it a day later!

Last edited:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Origin 20C and have several posts in the Origin 50 thread.

I changed the V-speaker to a 10" Greenback and great improvment.

Now i run the amp with a 1*12 Palmer Cab with Greenback, sounds great.

Cheers :cheers:and :welcome: to the forum

Joe_Easy

Reaction score
I have the Origin 20C and have several posts in the Origin 50 thread.

I changed the V-speaker to a 10" Greenback and great improvment.

Now i run the amp with a 1*12 Palmer Cab with Greenback, sounds great.

Cheers :cheers:and :welcome: to the forum

Nice. I might give the Greenback a go then, it does seem to come highly recommended for this amp.

Have you experimented with the tubes at all?

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I might give the Greenback a go then, it does seem to come highly recommended for this amp.

Have you experimented with the tubes at all?

Yes,
My amp was in the first batch to come to Sweden and it had the problem with the speaker out.

I Used it for 4 about months, then the sound began to fall out, it came and disappeared and when I looked at the power tubes, they where flashing a bit.
Sent it into warranty service, and when I got back it was fixed with the speaker out, and they put in Electro Harmonix EL34 power tubes in that sounds great.

But i really Recommend the Greenbacks for this amp

steveb63

Reaction score
Greenbacks are Great !

No doubt.

I think the tone- profile, voicing of this amp is tailored for that Greenback cone.

I'd like to try a Creamback, never have. But everyone that uses them just raves about them.

The Greenback has been so good to me really haven't thought of trying anything else.

That's why I want to try out ir cabinets. Seems like a good platform for auditioning speaker- cab combos

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I run my 20H into my 1960AX with Greenbacks or my 2061CX with Heritage Greenbacks. A G12M20 and G12H55HZ. I mostly play an R7 Goldtop.

I've had great results using a Dunlop Echoplex and it's Preamp pushing the amp cranked up for an in the ballpark vintage sound. Also as a lot of Origin owners Klon copies work very well either boosting the amp or as a base overdrive.
Another thing I've discovered for its pedal base abilities is MIAB pedals sound good. I've never liked those in any Marshall I've tried before. Xotic SL Drive, Catilinbread DLS, Wampler Velvet Fuzz for example have all sounded great. That's a first.

steveb63

Reaction score
I've been using my new Friedman BE-OD Deluxe with my 20h, a little cleaner than edge of breakup on amp.

It certainly has it's sound, and I love it.

I know tone is subjective, but this thing is great for balls out.

Really diggin it, saturated hard rock? Best I can describe.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using my new Friedman BE-OD Deluxe with my 20h, a little cleaner than edge of breakup on amp.

It certainly has it's sound, and I love it.

I know tone is subjective, but this thing is great for balls out.

Really diggin it, saturated hard rock? Best I can describe.
I so want to hear it! Cheers Mitch