• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Love this group
Got this Amp 3 weeks ago absolutely rips
Does anyone know what ehx el34 powertubes, soft medium or hard matched sets is best for the origin 20 combo?

Cheers
:cheers::welcome: To the forum. I put ruby EL34’s in my 50 H and mullard pres, to my ears it kicks ass. Cheers Mitch

steveb63

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try to keep this thread going.

I've ditched my Boss BR-800 digital recorder, in favor of my p.c. with Reaper as a DAW.

First tried using the d.i. , no Bueno. Sounds kinda...well...sucks.

Can't live mic, so onto the next option.

Went with the line out from my Weber mini-mass attenuator, added some cabinet i.r.'s.

There's the tone! Sounded great with the Strat, no effects just amp overdrive, boost engaged.
Now for the Les Paul. Voila! Sounds just as I hoped.

Next step is creating a drum track, and start recording. When I get something worthwhile I will post, but please don't hold your breath. I'm busy around the house, work etc..

TLDR- Origin 20H, d.i. no good, treated line out from attenuator is the ticket. Unless you're live micing.

Open to any suggestions, tips whatever, would like to hear of other's expierences.

Steve

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try to keep this thread going.

I've ditched my Boss BR-800 digital recorder, in favor of my p.c. with Reaper as a DAW.

First tried using the d.i. , no Bueno. Sounds kinda...well...sucks.

Can't live mic, so onto the next option.

Went with the line out from my Weber mini-mass attenuator, added some cabinet i.r.'s.

There's the tone! Sounded great with the Strat, no effects just amp overdrive, boost engaged.
Now for the Les Paul. Voila! Sounds just as I hoped.

Next step is creating a drum track, and start recording. When I get something worthwhile I will post, but please don't hold your breath. I'm busy around the house, work etc..

TLDR- Origin 20H, d.i. no good, treated line out from attenuator is the ticket. Unless you're live micing.

Open to any suggestions, tips whatever, would like to hear of other's expierences.

Steve

Brilliant information there man, Thank you muchos...

Just wondering, do you think the DI out is actually with or without the cabinet simulation? and if it's with, does using another, separate cabinet ir help.or hinder?

Thanks, :)

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a cover of Skynyrd's "Don't Ask No Questions" here. All of the guitar parts were done through my Origin 20H into my 1966B 2x12. I'm not much of a vocalist (heck, I'm not much of a guitarist, either) but I was getting some great tones out of it for this project. Had a Tubescreamer in front of it for some of the tracks.

steveb63

Reaction score

Just wondering, do you think the DI out is actually with or without the cabinet simulation? and if it's with, does using another, separate cabinet ir help.or hinder?

Hi @Jason Fieldhouseespk ,

To my ears. fwiw, I hear some e.q. on the d.i. out. I'm assuming this e.q. is their version of a cab sim.

I didn't care for it. Too muddy, no definition, not my idea of great sound.

For the record, I did not play around with it too much. Perhaps a more usuable sound could be created by additional e.q.ing, compressing etc...

Now for the good news. Using my dry line out, and adding cab. i.r.'s made it sound fantastic. Not just usable, but really great tone. No effects, studio enhancement etc...

Im going to be doing the same with my JTM 45 later tonight.

Now that I think of it, I bet that new Freidman mic no mo would work great in this application.

Will post sound clips in the near future.

Steve

mad5066

Reaction score
Finally tried my O20h with an attenuator, all I can say is it's amazing! Wish I didn't wait this long to pick one up. Having the power tubes pushed a little harder really opens this thing up. I took a chance on the bugera ps1 and couldn't be happier. Best ancillary purchase I made in awhile, I guess it's more fun buying pedals but this was well worth it. I feel like my playing has improved because the volume isn't overbearing anymore and the tone is where I want it so I practice more.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a cover of Skynyrd's "Don't Ask No Questions" here. All of the guitar parts were done through my Origin 20H into my 1966B 2x12. I'm not much of a vocalist (heck, I'm not much of a guitarist, either) but I was getting some great tones out of it for this project. Had a Tubescreamer in front of it for some of the tracks.

Great choice of cover and it sounds fantastic!
The guitar tones are great, love the tone in the opening!

Reaction score

To my ears, I believe the DI output is with cab/speaker sim.

As well, the manual states the following for the DI Output:

"Connect your amplifier to an external recording device or sound desk using this output socket with added loudspeaker emulation."

I don't care for the sound though.....

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Hi @Jason Fieldhouseespk ,

To my ears. fwiw, I hear some e.q. on the d.i. out. I'm assuming this e.q. is their version of a cab sim.

I didn't care for it. Too muddy, no definition, not my idea of great sound.

For the record, I did not play around with it too much. Perhaps a more usuable sound could be created by additional e.q.ing, compressing etc...

Now for the good news. Using my dry line out, and adding cab. i.r.'s made it sound fantastic. Not just usable, but really great tone. No effects, studio enhancement etc...

Im going to be doing the same with my JTM 45 later tonight.

Now that I think of it, I bet that new Freidman mic no mo would work great in this application.

Will post sound clips in the near future.

Steve
Mega, great reply, Thank you very much....

In other news... can anyone describe the disgruntled complaints from some Origin haters??

Listen in guys and gals! ;-)

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
To my ears, I believe the DI output is with cab/speaker sim.

As well, the manual states the following for the DI Output:

"Connect your amplifier to an external recording device or sound desk using this output socket with added loudspeaker emulation."

I don't care for the sound though.....

Aye, well I read that, which is ok.... but it also said the speakers were functioning correctly. Then the Dawson's demo guy threw in a 'and there's no cab sim, allowing you to add your own IRs'

But I don't mind either way, it'll do a job with or without DI-ing, I have mics and run through various mixers and was, and have plugin stuff I can do in the DAW.....
But I just wondered if using it with another(presumably better) IR or cab sim, will help or hinder it?

Anyway, also I have a new tonal secret weapon....

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have the 20H. For quite a while I've run mine using just the amp's breakup minus it's built in boost. Control this from my guitar. Lately I've been more exploring it's base for drive pedals. Curious as to where some of you set your pre and master for this. I'm talking at 20 watts and jam volume.

steveb63

Reaction score
For distortion pedals run into mostly clean amp pre=5 +/- Master 7-8

Overdrive pedals at edge of breakup, settings depend on speaker, cab etc..... usually both about 3/4 up

Tilt, slightly towards bass, about 11:00, don't like a shrill guitar.

Of course that's just me?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the 50H I am running the boost at 7-8 and volume at 3-4 with the power scaling at the middle position, and treble at 8, mids 8, bass at 5, with a joyo ultimate drive as a clean boost, tilt at 5, and my LP Traditional sounds amazing, it’s a cross between late 70’s Priest, and Thin Lizzy, UFO, and I am truly liking what I hear. Cheers Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Finally finished the cabinet conversion.... but is it really finished?

Open back, 2x12, 16ohm, greenbacks... sounds great, buuutt.... i might be actually thinking of flipping one of the greenbacks for either an alnico blue or gold.... and maybe one day trying to fknd a vintage 70s greeny.... :-/ hmmm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byyd9bqhSX0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

plexipaul

Reaction score
Origin 20 halfsnack completed : )

160cc141-7fdb-4a71-9f05-a9d8807e01d5-original.jpg

ea38e1ee-90e1-40d0-8b27-d84b60d0c3ed-original.jpg

Latest posts