• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

L Newman

Reaction score
sounded a little woolly with it's built-in cab sim on the DI.
Agree. I recorded a rehearsal using it and the DI signal sounded nothing like what was coming out of the box.

So, you can disconnect the speaker when using the DI (simulates a load?)?

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Surely an attenuator isn't necessary with the 20C, it's built in?

The madness actually is that even on the low setting, half a watt, people still cannot turn their amps past a squeak to get any gain out of it.... is this because they get the stink eye from the missus because they woke the baby? That's why I use modellers and computers for silent home playing, to not piss off the other half and wake the kids, and let loose when they oot of the oose! (Went Scottish there, sorry)

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
I mean, I wonder how much gain Mick Ronson could get at home with his 200w Marshall Super PA? He might have a somewhat bigger house than us all like, so maybe not such a big problem....
Yeah, people used to play gigs with and stand in front of 200w tube amps...

Last edited:

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
I would have loved to have a switch on the amp to keep the effects loop on without the pedal.

Aye, well that would be nice yes....

Now there is a fix for that, which includes a jack plug adaptor, which means I reckon that can be easily modded without any external changes...

In fact, internally it would require a single piece of wire that's it!

Last edited:

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
. Aye laddie ... now do you ken how to do it :)

You know what, I think I will just do the mod and see... I need to find the old post about that specific issue to remember which one it was TS or TRS... I think it was TRS, so you'd have to solder tip to ground, or ring to ground... whichever one works you then just ground the same internally....

If anyone knows where that post is on the threads? It might even be on that forum tbh....?

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Then I suppose if your just grounding that bit, theres no reason a switch cant be placed between it either...

Am I making promises I can't keep... well, I will take my amp to my guy, and discuss it with him. He was reluctant to install a PPIMV because he couldn't get any circuit diagrams from Marshall...

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
As far as the loop, on/off, pedal, switch instead thing. Yall are right. This has been discussed. It's your gear and money so do what you want so I'm only going to comment once. This has started many a debate.

It's already "fixed" in the form of a switch pedal that comes with the amp. It seams like every other "fix" I've seen dreamed up still requires it to be plugged into the amp. Doesn't seem worth the effort but there's a lot of people that like to tinker with things. Just plug the pedal into the amp. If the cable is too long thats what zip ties are for.

Plugging one more cable into the back of the amp being a burden when you already have to plug into the send and returns is beyond my rational thinking. But, ive read many buy the combo, wish it came with a 12, cram a 12 in there and call it good. I dont get that either.

Ok, I'm done.

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Cheers, fair play... but I'm on about a switch on the back that will let you leave the loop on or off, or use the foot pedal to switch it on and off, thus relieving people of the footswitch been an annoying extra thing to carry... I honestly thought the same as you Biff to begin with, but tbh, it's a ballache remembering to plug it in, I pack the amp away in it's case after every practice, so I have to unplug it all the time... its the head so I cant just throw in the cabinet, well I could, it's just I leave the cab in room for others to use.. and I use different cabs sometimes depending on which rehearsal room is available.... I'd just rather it not be there.

Axis39

Reaction score
Agree. I recorded a rehearsal using it and the DI signal sounded nothing like what was coming out of the box.

So, you can disconnect the speaker when using the DI (simulates a load?)?

In reverse order...

Yes, you can run the Origins without a speaker attached, as long as you disconnect the speaker while the amp is OFF!

Funny, that you heard something different coming out of the DI. When I used my stock 20C at a couple fo gigs and ran the DI into the PA, it sounded remarkably like the amp and stock speaker. I was super happy with it as a sound reinforcement method!

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
I have the 50c I love it question about that baffle that covers the speaker. Is it on the 20c and do you guys leave them on or take them off. Do they serve a purpose thanks.
I have the 20c and it has the baffle also, I think it is there to keep someone from sticking their hands in the back of the amp. It could be a EU safety deal?

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
As far as the loop, on/off, pedal, switch instead thing. Yall are right. This has been discussed. It's your gear and money so do what you want so I'm only going to comment once. This has started many a debate.

It's already "fixed" in the form of a switch pedal that comes with the amp. It seams like every other "fix" I've seen dreamed up still requires it to be plugged into the amp. Doesn't seem worth the effort but there's a lot of people that like to tinker with things. Just plug the pedal into the amp. If the cable is too long thats what zip ties are for.

Plugging one more cable into the back of the amp being a burden when you already have to plug into the send and returns is beyond my rational thinking. But, ive read many buy the combo, wish it came with a 12, cram a 12 in there and call it good. I dont get that either.

Ok, I'm done.
If I need the loop I turn it on and stick the pedal behind the amp, does the trick and the price is right.

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
If I need the loop I turn it on and stick the pedal behind the amp, does the trick and the price is right.

..... this is getting a little bit like Brexit.... some people do not see plugging the footswitch in and leaving it behind the amp as a 'fix'... they do not want to include the footswitch... they want the FX loop on without having the footswitch in the same room or plugged in... they want to throw the footswitch in the river and toss bricks at it!

What I'm suggesting is... having the footswitch INSIDE the amp, with a switch on the back to either leave it on or leave it off.... thus not having to put the footswitch in a Sainsbury's bag and take it with you where ever you have the amp....