The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all depends what you like. I feel the tone of this amp is the closet Marshall has gotten to vintage with a new amp...IMO and it will sound even better with a tube speaker upgrade.

Well I'm glad it's exciting. I'm going to play one eventually but you and me have similar tastes.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Made a speaker change to the Creamback tonight. Took a few pics for those who are wondering what the interior looks like. Haven’t heard it since the change yet. The stock speaker weighs nothing compared to the Creamback!
Q2dh2YM.jpg

dWHbJJ2.jpg

sq7v4sJ.jpg

dPn9nOP.jpg

of83Wam.jpg

sbwmgkk.jpg

6Zbaxrq.jpg

PpmRxyL.jpg

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Made a speaker change to the Creamback tonight. Took a few pics for those who are wondering what the interior looks like. Haven’t heard it since the change yet. The stock speaker weighs nothing compared to the Creamback!
Q2dh2YM.jpg

dWHbJJ2.jpg

sq7v4sJ.jpg

dPn9nOP.jpg

of83Wam.jpg

sbwmgkk.jpg

6Zbaxrq.jpg

PpmRxyL.jpg
Are you planning on getting rid of the midnight 60?

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I had a YJM and sold it.
To me it didnt sound as good as a 1959/1987. I tone tested them together through the same cabs.
I like the Origin better.
The stock speaker has a small magnet because its a neo.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Are you planning on getting rid of the midnight 60?

I was just thinking the same thing, it wont be long we can scoop up a few of these cheap and build a 2x10 or 4x10 cab with midnight 60's and it will sound bad ass!

I did the same thing with my Vox, everybody was getting rid of the stock Wharfedale speakers in AC15 and AC30 amps, I got a pair for $50 and made a 2x12 cab for my AC15 combo, it took that amp to another level! :yesway:

nycLPplayer

Reaction score
wrote about this on a different forum but thought I would post it here

Woof......really not good. Hope you guys find some mods and speaker combos that help. I am keeping my 5210 and working on a Vox ac10 12inch conversion soon.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
Q2dh2YM.jpg

dWHbJJ2.jpg

sq7v4sJ.jpg

dPn9nOP.jpg

of83Wam.jpg

sbwmgkk.jpg

6Zbaxrq.jpg

PpmRxyL.jpg

Very stoked to hear the report on the Creamback!!!

jmp45

Reaction score
Curious about the creamback upgrade also. On the fence with these amps. The power reduction option is what caught my attention. Any rattles with these combos? My Class 5 took some work to iron out those bugs.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Hopefully I’ll get some time with it soon.

As far as rattles, I haven’t heard anything yet!

Buzzard

Reaction score
MMMMMELLOWWWWWWW...... No thanks.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Still haven’t been able to play it much after the speaker change. One thing I have noticed with my amp is that I can’t seen to get that “crunch” sound I hear on demos with the gain increased. Cleans sound really nice and it sounds great with my pedals (overdrive to muff). I just can’t get any crunch from the amp itself. Could I have a bad tube somewhere? Maybe a weak preamp tube? I’m probably going to change tubes anyway as I’m a tinkerer- any recommendations on higher gain tubes with mellow highs?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Still haven’t been able to play it much after the speaker change. One thing I have noticed with my amp is that I can’t seen to get that “crunch” sound I hear on demos with the gain increased. Cleans sound really nice and it sounds great with my pedals (overdrive to muff). I just can’t get any crunch from the amp itself. Could I have a bad tube somewhere? Maybe a weak preamp tube? I’m probably going to change tubes anyway as I’m a tinkerer- any recommendations on higher gain tubes with mellow highs?

You could try a Tungsol in V1 but I'm thinking tubes aren't gonna make that big of a difference to get crunch. Speakers, guitar pickups and definitely OD pedals will make a difference, and definitely volume. Describe your setup?

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
You could try a Tungsol in V1 but I'm thinking tubes aren't gonna make that big of a difference to get crunch. Speakers, guitar pickups and definitely OD pedals will make a difference, and definitely volume. Describe your setup?

Thanks! I’ve played an LP Classic (57 pups- fairly hot), strat with Suhr SSH/SSV pups and an LP Standard (burstbuckers). I tried with the stock speaker and now a Creamback. All 3 power settings. Volume anywhere from noon to 3. Gain from noon to cranked. Eq noon for all three. I’m getting a great clean sound but can’t seem to get that driven/crunch sound I’m hearing on demos (boosted or not). My camel toe, whampler triple wreck and op-amp muff sound great through it. Just curious if I’m missing something or if something is wrong with it. I’m not expecting a DSL like gain (I have a DSL40CR), but just can’t seem to dial in that semi-driven tone.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ve played an LP Classic (57 pups- fairly hot), strat with Suhr SSH/SSV pups and an LP Standard (burstbuckers). I tried with the stock speaker and now a Creamback. All 3 power settings. Volume anywhere from noon to 3. Gain from noon to cranked. Eq noon for all three. I’m getting a great clean sound but can’t seem to get that driven/crunch sound I’m hearing on demos (boosted or not). My camel toe, whampler triple wreck and op-amp muff sound great through it. Just curious if I’m missing something or if something is wrong with it. I’m not expecting a DSL like gain (I have a DSL40CR), but just can’t seem to dial in that semi-driven tone.

Interesting. I've heard people received their amps with either Chinese tubes or JJ's or a mix of the two, Chinese tubes are plenty crunchy JJ's are not. If it came with JJ's take them out. These amps bias themselves so you don't have to worry about swapping out power tubes.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Interesting. I've heard people received their amps with either Chinese tubes or JJ's or a mix of the two, Chinese tubes are plenty crunchy JJ's are not. If it came with JJ's take them out. These amps bias themselves so you don't have to worry about swapping out power tubes.

I just ordered 3-4 different ones to try. Mullard, Sovtek, Tung-Sol. I need a couple of backups anyway.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just ordered 3-4 different ones to try. Mullard, Sovtek, Tung-Sol. I need a couple of backups anyway.

Preamp tubes? Power tubes affect tone too but preamp is a good way to start. What came with your amp? Which Origin do you have?

Last edited:

Buzzard

Reaction score
Nope marshall, ain't changin shit. I see updates comin in the future.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a YJM and sold it.
To me it didnt sound as good as a 1959/1987. I tone tested them together through the same cabs.
I like the Origin better.
The stock speaker has a small magnet because its a neo.
It's not a Neo speaker....that is called the Century Vintage. Just a cheap speaker with a small magnet similar to the MG range. No way are you getting $175 worth of speaker in an amp at this price point.