The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SRD

Reaction score
I bought mine last friday, it died last night.
I'm going to switch out the tubes tonight and hopefully that all it is.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I know that I'm pretty new here, but I have to say it: you guys have really made me want that damn Studio Classic! Actually, to be fair, there are a few demos out there already that have swayed me in that direction, too. I wouldn't mind, but I only bought a DSL20HR and a Victory vertical 2x12 three weeks ago. I'd love to hear from anyone who has played both of the above amps and can compare?
You got a good amp, I had one last year but I didnt like the compression in the DSL gain theres just no way to dial it out. If you like the DSL tone then youre good to go. I'd say youre ahead, the DSL20HR has more function and a third of the price! :yesway:

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
You got a good amp, I had one last year but I didnt like the compression in the DSL gain theres just no way to dial it out. If you like the DSL tone then youre good to go. I'd say youre ahead, the DSL20HR has more function and a third of the price! :yesway:
Thanks man, I was using a Friedman PT20, Bogner Atma, Bassbreaker, but none of them really delivered what I wanted until the DSL20 (at less than a quarter of the price of the first two). Personally, I'd like to be able to get Hendrix style cleans but I can't get the green channel to go there (not a fan of the green), and the Red is too gainy to roll off via guitar pot. I love the gain channel for what it is, though. At this price I would've bought the 20 just for the red channel. If I'm being hyper critical, I'd like a little smoother character to the OD I guess, but maybe that's where the Studio Classic comes in?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was using a Friedman PT20, Bogner Atma, Bassbreaker, but none of them really delivered what I wanted until the DSL20 (at less than a quarter of the price of the first two). Personally, I'd like to be able to get Hendrix style cleans but I can't get the green channel to go there (not a fan of the green), and the Red is too gainy to roll off via guitar pot. I love the gain channel for what it is, though. At this price I would've bought the 20 just for the red channel. If I'm being hyper critical, I'd like a little smoother character to the OD I guess, but maybe that's where the Studio Classic comes in?
Normally I'd say figure out what tubes will smooth it out. I think your amp has JJ power tubes and Shuguang preamp tubes, me personally I found the stock tubes were better than anything else I tried in it, almost like the amp was designed for them. What speakers do you have? Greenbacks are the best with DSL IMO.

Or maybe the SC20 is your answer.

Last edited:

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
Normally I'd say figure out what tubes will smooth it out. I think your amp has JJ power tubes and Shuguang preamp tubes, me personally I found the stock tubes were better than anything else I tried in it, almost like the amp was designed for them. What speakers do you have? Greenbacks are the best with DSL IMO.

Or maybe the SC20 is your answer.
2 Celestion Vintage 30s -- I know the consensus is that they make Marshalls spiky, but I like them. Maybe I need to try out some Greenbacks and see how much of a difference that makes (and if it's the right kind of difference).

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Had a quick 15 minutes before I had to go back to work. Sounds spot on exactly as I hoped.

Loud as fuck. The volume taper is brutal same as the originals.

Bad - pedals pop when in the loop. Volume drop when the loop is engaged. Going to ring Marshall to see what they say.

What I noticed in regards to the popping, does it in both low and high inputs, the pop is as loud regardless how loud the amp is.

The volume drop doesn't bother me (unless it's defect) as the loop isn't switchable so I would just leave it on all the time anyway.

I don't think you would notice the pop at a gig with everything else loud around you, or certainly not enough to be a distraction. My sl5 popped going between channels. And my dsl15h did as well if i remember rightly. Disappointing for an £850 amp

Your clip has done the magic, that new amp sound bad ass, I like it, tone you have dialed up sounds just as I expect to hear! Cheers to your new amp Brother. Mitch

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
2 Celestion Vintage 30s -- I know the consensus is that they make Marshalls spiky, but I like them. Maybe I need to try out some Greenbacks and see how much of a difference that makes (and if it's the right kind of difference).
I hate V30s, could never gel with them. I'm a big G12T75 fan, DSL sound great with that too. What kind of music do you play, that will help choose a speaker, you did say Hendrix cleans, the greenback is Hendrix all over it!

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
I hate V30s, could never gel with them. I'm a big G12T75 fan, DSL sound great with that too.
That's encouraging -- what kind of stuff do you play? I only play at home these days, so moderate vol levels (9-10 o'clock on 20w mode).

rich88uk

Reaction score
Your clip has done the magic, that new amp sound bad ass, I like it, tone you have dialed up sounds just as I expect to hear! Cheers to your new amp Brother. Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I'll be honest I only had 15 minutes with it before I had to shoot back to work so not had chance much to play with the settings, different pedals etc. So to get a good sound straight away was pleasing

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The DSL20 has only Clean Green and OD2. If you are missing out the Crunch on Ch 1 that's where the Classic 20 will be, thereabouts. Hit it with an OD oedal for OD1 mode. It is not going to be gainy enough for OD1 mode.
It's too bad the 20 didn't have the same switchable modes as the 40CR etc.

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
The DSL20 has only Clean Green and OD2. If you are missing out the Crunch on Ch 1 that's where the Classic 20 will be, thereabouts. Hit it with an OD oedal for OD1 mode. It is not going to be gainy enough for OD1 mode.
It's too bad the 20 didn't have the same switchable modes as the 40CR etc.
Thanks man -- my only real problem with the 20 is the green channel. Just doesn't do it for me as either a clean or a crunch, and I don't like the way that it takes pedals. Love the red, though.

DragonSarc

Reaction score

Had a quick 15 minutes before I had to go back to work. Sounds spot on exactly as I hoped.

Bad - pedals pop when in the loop. Volume drop when the loop is engaged. Going to ring Marshall to see what they say.

What I noticed in regards to the popping, does it in both low and high inputs, the pop is as loud regardless how loud the amp is.

The volume drop doesn't bother me (unless it's defect) as the loop isn't switchable so I would just leave it on all the time anyway.

I don't think you would notice the pop at a gig with everything else loud around you, or certainly not enough to be a distraction. My sl5 popped going between channels. And my dsl15h did as well if i remember rightly. Disappointing for an £850 amp

Awesome you have both amps i was thinking of buying, whats the comparison between the SC and jube? can the jube cover the SC tone or vice versa? If it is i should I go for the SV and jube, thanks

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks man -- my only real problem with the 20 is the green channel. Just doesn't do it for me as either a clean or a crunch, and I don't like the way that it takes pedals. Love the red, though.
I liked the green channel, the problem with it was even with the gain max'd it didnt do edge of breakup, I wonder how it would do with a super hot pickup?

Del Rei

Reaction score

Nice man!
Beautiful!

Did you use any pedals??
Do you notice this volume drop or pop in the loop when you use that Mini Jubilee? (that’s the Mini, right?)

Shreddy Krueger

Reaction score
I liked the green channel, the problem with it was even with the gain max'd it didnt do edge of breakup, I wonder how it would do with a super hot pickup?
Well, I've tried it with a Suhr Modern Pro (stock pups), an Ibanez JS1000 (Fred/PAF Pro), Fender Custom Tele (SD quarter pounders), and an EVH striped (well, 'circled' I guess would be the correct term). I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I couldn't get a usable sound out of the green side. It's a very loud channel in comparison to the red, which I found odd, too. My favourite clean has been the Bassbreaker 15H, middle gain structure set to crunch, roll back your guitar volume pot, and instant Hendrix territory. However. The Bassbreaker has left the building. The one flaw for me (apart from it not taking 20% of my fx loop pedals), was that it also had that sponginess like you're playing with a compressor on -- no way to dial it out at living room volume.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I've tried it with a Suhr Modern Pro (stock pups), an Ibanez JS1000 (Fred/PAF Pro), Fender Custom Tele (SD quarter pounders), and an EVH striped (well, 'circled' I guess would be the correct term). I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I couldn't get a usable sound out of the green side. It's a very loud channel in comparison to the red, which I found odd, too. My favourite clean has been the Bassbreaker 15H, middle gain structure set to crunch, roll back your guitar volume pot, and instant Hendrix territory. However. The Bassbreaker has left the building. The one flaw for me (apart from it not taking 20% of my fx loop pedals), was that it also had that sponginess like you're playing with a compressor on -- no way to dial it out at living room volume.
You playing Strats?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s what I like about the green channel on the Dsl1hr. It’ll start to get just s bit hairy with the volume on around 6,...at 10 it breaks up nicely.

Now this is all with the volume control, there’s no gain control in the green channel on the 1 amp.

texhex

Reaction score

Nice one.