The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

assaf110

Reaction score
The new Sv20h looks interesting. However, after viewing the gut shots, to me it looks cheaply made. I'm guessing the transformers are Asian sourced and not Drakes? Just based on perception, Marshall's earlier PCB amps and PCB amps from Friedman, Mesa etc., appear to be better made.

Based on what? They (the pcb’s) look rock solid to me.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind the Dagnall's present in the big Marshall amps are presently made in Malta, not as many think, England.

Vintagemod

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Love these amps and the tone. The 2266c on gets as close as ive heard. The g12c speakers help. The amp in the video may have alnicos but the vintage modern can get close and feels great to play. Not sure how you describe it, dynamic, reactive or whatever but you play off it. Just fun. I bet those 1974/73/58 and proper bluesbreakers are incedible to play.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Got the 1x12 cab today and liking the V-Type speaker so far.
I love this amp.

HyONpPt.jpg

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I was asked to give my opinion on the Gear Page and I'm posting it here too:

First I want you to know I'm not a rookie about tone or Marshall amps.
I have owned almost every model made. Over a 10 year period my friend and I tone tested everything.
Amps, speakers, tubes, guitars, speakers, pickups, pedals, etc., etc.
Most of that time we both were going for "big iron" tone and trying to get the volume down to a livable level.
We tried every attenuator. We tried PPIMV. To me attenuators cut too much "real" tone below -3db or so.
Same with PPIMV. If you think that type of tone is okay, then that's fine. I don't.
I gave up and sold all my Marshall's and ended up with two Origin 50's. I changed to using OD pedals to control
volume and distortion. To my ears the Origin 50 with a Barber Direct Drive Compact gets me the tone I want.
The Studio Vintage does it without a pedal or attenuator. With both volumes cranked to 8 I am getting authentic
plexi tone with reasonable volume level. Its "band" level, but that's how I practice and play. The feel is there too. This amp cranked makes me want to keep playing. Its lively and musical.
If I want bedroom level I'll use the OD pedal and sacrifice good tone.
I don't care how the SV is made inside. I care about tone and feel. The expensive Marshall AFD, YJM, and JVM look worse inside. Having a hand wired point to point amp does not give better tone. That's just cork sniffing.
I played Gibson's for years but have gone back to Fender Strat's. With a Strat I'm getting tone like this video. Its not the best clip, but it sounds like what I hear with a Strat. Robin Trower is my favorite for tone and playing style.
During my Gibson era I went for Kossoff with Free. Clapton with Cream and Bluesbreakers. Duane and Dickey. Angus Young with a SG.
I tried every Celestion and use Redbacks now. My favorite speaker.
To my ears replacing the stock JJ in V1 of the SV with a Tung Sol 12AX7 gives better tone.

Just some of the amps I've owned:

TJ1jmtm.jpg

Mq0oS65.jpg

TBwrLHn.jpg

eJ5Dn9M.jpg

BftGibson

Reaction score
I was asked to give my opinion on the Gear Page and I'm posting it here too:

First I want you to know I'm not a rookie about tone or Marshall amps.
I have owned almost every model made. Over a 10 year period my friend and I tone tested everything.
Amps, speakers, tubes, guitars, speakers, pickups, pedals, etc., etc.
Most of that time we both were going for "big iron" tone and trying to get the volume down to a livable level.
We tried every attenuator. We tried PPIMV. To me attenuators cut too much "real" tone below -3db or so.
Same with PPIMV. If you think that type of tone is okay, then that's fine. I don't.
I gave up and sold all my Marshall's and ended up with two Origin 50's. I changed to using OD pedals to control
volume and distortion. To my ears the Origin 50 with a Barber Direct Drive Compact gets me the tone I want.
The Studio Vintage does it without a pedal or attenuator. With both volumes cranked to 8 I am getting authentic
plexi tone with reasonable volume level. Its "band" level, but that's how I practice and play. The feel is there too. This amp cranked makes me want to keep playing. Its lively and musical.
If I want bedroom level I'll use the OD pedal and sacrifice good tone.
I don't care how the SV is made inside. I care about tone and feel. The expensive Marshall AFD, YJM, and JVM look worse inside. Having a hand wired point to point amp does not give better tone. That's just cork sniffing.
I played Gibson's for years but have gone back to Fender Strat's. With a Strat I'm getting tone like this video. Its not the best clip, but it sounds like what I hear with a Strat. Robin Trower is my favorite for tone and playing style.
During my Gibson era I went for Kossoff with Free. Clapton with Cream and Bluesbreakers. Duane and Dickey. Angus Young with a SG.
I tried every Celestion and use Redbacks now. My favorite speaker.
To my ears replacing the stock JJ in V1 of the SV with a Tung Sol 12AX7 gives better tone.

Just some of the amps I've owned:

TJ1jmtm.jpg

Mq0oS65.jpg

TBwrLHn.jpg

eJ5Dn9M.jpg

What i wanna know is how is that Glenlivet 12?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if it’s useable as a home amp? I guess without an attenuator I’d be having to use pedals to get any decent drive tones out of it, which kind of defeats the purpose :-/

Just get a little volume box,....I’ve been using one with my Studio 800 since I bought it. I can play my Studio 800 dimed if I want and use my volume box to control how loud it is.

I play everyday with my 800 volume on 6, gain on 7 and my volume box on about 6. I’m sitting right in front of the amp about two feet away and it sounds glorious!

Some pics of the settings,.....

My volume box,....

I bought my volume box on Reverb for $20 on sale from $25,....Carl’s Volume Box.

Or on MF,...JHS Little Black Amp Box Pedal,....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jhs-pedals-little-black-amp-box-pedal

Guitardave

Reaction score
Really, that works? Forgive me sounding like a noob here, but I thought that because the loop comes before the power tubes which are making the distortion on this amp, you wouldn’t get that beautiful plexi crunch sound? I would be more than happy to be proven wrong lol!

slagg

Reaction score
That box will work with the SC but not the SV.The 800 gets a lot of Preamp gain/grind the SV does not.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get a little volume box,....I’ve been using one with my Studio 800 since I bought it. I can play my Studio 800 dimed if I want and use my volume box to control how loud it is.

I play everyday with my 800 volume on 6, gain on 7 and my volume box on about 6. I’m sitting right in front of the amp about two feet away and it sounds glorious!

My volume box,....

I bought my volume box on Reverb for $20 on sale from $25,....Carl’s Volume Box.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jhs-pedals-little-black-amp-box-pedal

What pedal is to the left of the Fab?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My volume box,....

Volume boxes are just an overall master volume. They don't attenuate. I use one at times for convenience but know it's just a master volume.

Latest posts