The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
The chord strumming in the beginning is literally the worst that I have heard these amps sound. The rest of the video wasn’t bad though.
I'm guessing the recorder wasn't that hot. That is Dan Hawkins from The Darkness. Responsible for some of the best Marshall tones in the last 15 years. You could tell when Dan moved about the sound changed. Always a sign that the guy videoing is stood in the wrong place.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I dialed the high treble volume to max, normal to 3 in 20 watt mode (channels jumped) and played some Judas Priest riffs through a 4x12. This amp delivers the goods, the sound pressure goes through you and thumps you in the chest. It’s expensive yes, but you forget that when you play.

My ears ring!

DDA90818-7-E21-4-BB8-8853-94639-EFCE7-E6.jpg

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
So I dialed the high treble volume to max, normal to 3 in 20 watt mode (channels jumped) and played some Judas Priest riffs through a 4x12. This amp delivers the goods, the sound pressure goes through you and thumps you in the chest. It’s expensive yes, but you forget that when you play.

My ears ring!
That’s a great way to express the tones you’re getting, plus it looks as if you have a nice plethora of tones sitting their with the new 20 watt ! Cheers to all you can get with your new family member! Mitch

Michael Roe

Reaction score

My ears ring!

DDA90818-7-E21-4-BB8-8853-94639-EFCE7-E6.jpg
You need at least 3 more Marshall cabs! Your neighbors would never be able to hear that!
Congrats man!

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I want one. :drool:

I've been looking for a low-wattage Marshall head to use for small club gigs, and was looking at the 2061-style reissues. Still kind of on the fence about that one, since the 2061's are hand-wired and have the same wattage, and I imagine the Studio Vintage has one of those printed circuitboards. But so far I'm hearing nothing but good stuff about them. One thing I do want is to be able to jumper the channels.

I picked up one of those cheap Marshall 2X12 cabs they put out a few years back that everyone hated, but I bought it for next to nothing. I'm pretty sure whatever head I wind up getting will do well through it, it actually sounds pretty darned good and will be easy to carry since it's super light. And for clean tones I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 reissue that sounds great!

I'm not all that worried about pushing the amp's volume since I get most of my distortion from my pedalboard anyhoo. :naughty:

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
So with this amp, you have 20w and 5w modes built in. If you also had a purpose designed attenuator with two switched settings: -3db and -12db (and -15db together), you could tune this amp to each of the following:
20, 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25, 0.6 0.3 and 0.15W, ie, up to -21db relative to 20W full power, in small 3db increments. That wouldn't be a complicated project either, to design nor to build.

What speaker Ohms does the combo come with? the manual doesn't seem to say.

I was wondering about the Ohm thingie myself..It would be nice if it was switchable like the big boys are.

johan.b

Reaction score
.. just an interesting little observation... the panel window on the sv20h is exactly the same size as the panel window on my 50 watt plexi clone... so if someone wanted to, I'm sure they could fit the chassis into a bigger headbox. .. or the other way around...it estetic call for it, that is..
J

Medronio

Reaction score
So, the SV has 4 ohm jacks, hum what to do?
Oh yeah, run it in to both the 2061Cx and the Bogner 2x12, 4 creambacks……………………………..
My ears are ringing now! In 20 watt mode, there it is!
"Holy bajebus mother of god!!!!!
Tone & Mojo!!!!!
Marshall is going to sell loads of these amps!

This is what i wanted to hear :D
Yeah thank you

Latest posts