The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzard

Reaction score
keep the 72' imo. unless you need a smaller gigging amp.You'll miss it.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
To my ears the SV sounded way better after playing a couple hours.
It broke in some. Seemed to open up, feel got better, more musical, more 3D.
The smell changed too. Like it was cooking.
Ahhh yeaa, I do recall my origin doing the same, keep cooking her bro! And she will sing her heart out! Cheers Mitch

Del Rei

Reaction score
No return policy at all??!!
Here in Brazil, you have 7 days to return, but only if you bought it online. If you buy in a physical store you have to keep it.

If there is any problem within the warranty time, they have 30 days to fix it. If they can’t fix in 30 days (you have to wait 30 days), you can get a new product, another product that cost same price, or money back.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sorry to say, bye online you have 30days, in store you got to keep it.

Oh man, that sucks. That certainly puts the local guitar shops at a distinct disadvantage.

Is this the case with all products?

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, that sucks. That certainly puts the local guitar shops at a distinct disadvantage.

Is this the case with all products?

No it is depending of the company rules, but so far i knows all music stores have the same policy, i maybe wrong but i don´t think so.

But i like to have my local shop 300 meter from home, do i need anything or have a problem, them help me out with good service, so i like to support them

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My ‘72 is a 100 watt. I play it somewhat cranked I guess all the time. Depending on what I’m playing, I’ll have the volume on anywhere from 4-10 (I don’t jumper) and the larmar running at noon so it moving air and then I’ll knock 4 to 8 dB off with the hotplate.

Low volume is what Was attracting me To it but again I just don’t know if it going to give me anything any better then what i got now because 99% of the time I’m running the 1959 as described above.

I have only 50w and 100w amps (and one JTM45), and I gravitate towards the 100w amps for their punch. If I had one of these new studio amps, I'd probably play through it occasionally, but that would probably be it. For low volume playing, I always use my Axe Fx II through a full range cab (fills the room at low volume). I also think my "LOUD" Marshall's sound pretty good at low volume through a Power Brake, but I usually play through the Marshall's for the "Holy crap!" factor. :)

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned many 50 and 100 watt Marshalls and used attenuator or PPIMV to get the volume down. Not any more.
Its a personal opinion but I think attenuators and PPIMV sucks.
This SV is giving me better tone.

I’m finding the same thing with my Classic Studio, it sounds great at low volume, I’m impressed.

It also sounds great in the 5 watt mode, no loss in tone really at all, maybe a very slight loss on the low end, and I mean slight, but not anything to be concerned about.

No way these new Studio amps are pentode/triode!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine will be here tomorrow. Will I get some decent higher gain at lower volumes with an OD? I've got an Airis Effects Savage Drive, and EP Booster. I'll probably run both!

You will definitely need an OD pedal for high gain tones. Even at that, I don’t know if you’ll get the high gain tones you’re looking for.

This is NOT a high gain amp!!

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey... does any SV20H had that pop issue when using pedal in loop?

There were 2 SC20H cases reported of it in the other topic.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I owned many 50 and 100 watt Marshalls and used attenuator or PPIMV to get the volume down. Not any more.
Its a personal opinion but I think attenuators and PPIMV sucks.
This SV is giving me better tone.
Sounds like you made the right choice, given your bad experiences. I've been perfectly happy with my Power Brake and Weber attenuators.

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Less than 36 hours until I can make it to Guitar Center to see if the SV20H is still there before I meet to buy the 1966A. But if it sells in the meantime, I will have to reconsider. For the same price, there's an old 4010 in a head cabinet on Reverb that would be of the right width to fit on the 1965/1966.

If I do get the SV20H, whether or not I mod it all depends on the FX loop. If the loop is good, then I'm putting my Carbon Copy in the loop set as a pseudo-reverb, maybe getting a tremolo pedal down the road since there were some Plexis out there with tremolo. If the loop goes pop, then out it goes, and in goes the PPIMV and OWM while I've got my soldering iron out.

Latest posts